rF2 | Ferrari GT3 Released and September Development Roadmap

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Studio 397 have posted their latest 'Development Roadmap' for the month of September followed closely by the release of the Ferrari 488 GT3 EVO 2020.
  • Previews on Nordschleife PBR update.
  • Ferrari 488 GT3 EVO 2020 Released.
The end of the month is almost here, and in a pleasant change the first of the regular sim racing developer roadmap postings has come out at some time other than the middle of the night! Yes, Studio 397 have been a little quicker off the marks that usual this month in their regular rFactor 2 update blog - dropping the rF2 'Development Roadmap' for the month of September earlier than usual - with some interesting insights in what is happening over at the Dutch sim racing studio.

The Ferrari DLC

Before we take a look at the roadmap update, the team at Studio 397 also released their latest GT3 car for rFactor 2 - the stunning Ferrari 488 GT3 EVO 2020 - available now from the rFactor 2 Steam Store.

Here's what they had to say about the new car:

Italian design is renowned for the fusion of form and function in such a way that often produces the most spectacular of results, and it would be fair to say the incredible Ferrari 488 GT3 EVO 2020 is absolutely no exception to that long and impressive tradition – resulting in arguably one of the most visually stunning cars ever created to the GT3 regulation ruleset.

rFactor_2_Ferrari_488_GT3_EVO_2020_04.jpg

Revealed in the winter of 2019, the new for this year 488 GT3 EVO 2020 represents a wholesale improvement over the successful, but ageing current generation GT3 challenger from Ferrari. Benefiting from over 18,000 hours of calculations and CFD simulations before the new package even hit the wind tunnel, Ferrari have left no stone unturned in their attempts to firmly cement the 488 GT3 bloodline as one of the most successful cars in the marque’s long and illustrious history.

Visually, the EVO benefits from an improved frontal section that incorporates enhanced aerodynamics delivering to the driver greater downforce and stability, aided by tweaks at both the front and rear of the new package without modifying the overall balance of the car.

Larger vents above the front wings, re-profiled door profiles to facilitate better overall airflow and a tweaked rear section are just some of the more notable changes that one immediately finds when looking at this striking machine.

rFactor_2_Ferrari_488_GT3_EVO_2020_05.jpg

The 488 GT3 EVO 2020 is also noticeably longer than its predecessor, bringing the car in line with its GTE counterpart, allowing Ferrari to improve the way the new machine manages its tyres on track – allowing drivers to run faster for longer, in that all important pursuit of glory!

Engine wise, the EVO retains the tried and trusted twin-turbo 90-degree V8 of the previous generation vehicle, however Ferrari have coupled this to an all new engine management system that improves reliability and produces a smoother, more precise torque delivery.

Sleek lines, aggressive styling and an iconic exhaust note that oozes passion and performance, the Ferrari 488 GT3 EVO 2020 can be yours to drive in rFactor 2 today – head over to the rFactor 2 Steam Store and strap yourself into poetry in motion.

The Roadmap

In something of a flurry of news, S397 also released their latest Development Roadmap for the month of September. In this posting the studio took the opportunity to view their recent Bentley Continental GT3 2020 car release and the upcoming Ferrari 488 GT3 EVO machine, whilst also informing the sim racing community of an upcoming additional hotfix set to be released for the GT3 cars later in the week.

rF2 Nurbs 1.jpg

Of the more notable things within the posting are some nice preview images from the major refresh coming to their laserscanned Nürburgring Nordschleife - the team over at Studio 397 have been working hard in recent months to substantially refresh the legendary German circuit within the simulation - including bringing the circuit up to the current PBR shader standards and many other tweaks and improvements.

No release date for the Nordschleife update has been put forth by the studio yet, however preview image progress suggests it won't be too far away into the future now I'm sure.

As a final line right at the very end of the post, the studio have teased they plan to make a new track announcement during the month ahead, so stay tuned for further news on that one when the timing is right.

Original Source: Studio 397

rFactor 2 is available now exclusively on PC.

Want to know how to get the best from the simulation? Head over to the RaceDepartment rF2 sub forum and open up a new thread today - let our epic community be your guide!

rF2 Nurbs 2.jpg

rF2 Ferrari 1.jpg

Last edited:
GT3 Update:

-still no fix for Merc FFB (caster issue?) even after 13 pages of complaints in forum
-still no fix for missing yellow stripe in Porsche GT3
-no working ABS/TC lights in car
-white cars with certain liveries
-night shadows seem to be broken on Porsche GT3

I like the shaders update and appreciate the upcoming Nordschleife, but there's a lot of issues with the GT3's that need updating before I dump more money with rf2 content.

As much as driving is still a great experience in rF2, I'm not dumping any more money into it, especially in GT3's where others provide a plug and play experience with full real liveries, drivers, etc...

Trying to achieve something similar in rF2 is a real pain with constant updates that break user liveries and never ending BoP adjustments that break talent files.
This is the "what could've been but never will be" sim

Last edited:
Again a little bit disappointing. For me Nords already look great, so I wonder how much better it will look. Not excited about the new GT3, but because it’s a Ferrari I’m sure many people are, especially because it looks great.
But I do appreciate recent GT3 physics and BoP update. It would be nice if theyd finally manage to will fix Mercedes AMG FFB.
I wish more emphasis were on fixing long term bugs and issues. But there’s no updates or announcements on that.

Last edited:
...And they still haven't fixed the issue where some cars become bright white instead of having a paint scheme. The early September Update seems to have broken certain liveries with no hot fix in sight.
That is more the responsibility of the 3rd party painters to keep the skins current. S397 is over-hauling the entire graphic engine and that means previous versions will often no longer function. Many older 3rd party tracks have also fallen victim to the new exterior shaders being used at tracks now. The end result is a better looking product, but one that has issues with older content. Paul Jeffries 488 GT3 preview video included several white cars whose skins were no longer compatible with the latest improvements. I have gone through all my downloaded cars and erased them. I won't be adding many til this update process completes..(which may be a while)

As much as driving is still a great experience in rF2, I'm not dumping any more money into it, especially in GT3's where others provide a plug and play experience with full real liveries, drivers, etc...

Trying to achieve something similar in rF2 is a real pain with constant updates that break user liveries and never ending BoP adjustments that break talent files.
This is the "what could've been but never will be" sim

Different angle but I've reached the same conclusion.
GT3/E, I'm tired of oversteery defaults and having to figure out a tamer setup for every (GT) car at every track. I don't want piss around with bump-stops, dampers and arbs for anything more than one click here or one click there. Just provide a second default more aimed at a Gentleman Simracer.

AI - the biggy for me. Had my fill of it, it's shite - doesn't defend it blocks, doesn't yield it punts. I'm done playing with config files and moving pointless sliders up and down meaningless bars. I understand AI is low on S397's list of priorities; we can all make lists and rf2 is, in-so-far as my wallet is concerned, low on my list of priorities.

It's not even that the AI ruins the offline experience, I can't run a race with a few friends and fill the pack with AI ,ie historic Le Mans with the 67 Enduro pack so this new GT3 would be just another car I will get no value from.

Is Rfactor just a Ring simulator now?

How about some more high quality tracks or I am just going to just download rips from other sims forever? I bought Monaco and I thought it didn't even look good.
Did you read the roadmap?

Different angle but I've reached the same conclusion.
GT3/E, I'm tired of oversteery defaults and having to figure out a tamer setup for every (GT) car at every track. I don't want piss around with bump-stops, dampers and arbs for anything more than one click here or one click there. Just provide a second default more aimed at a Gentleman Simracer.

AI - the biggy for me. Had my fill of it, it's shite - doesn't defend it blocks, doesn't yield it punts. I'm done playing with config files and moving pointless sliders up and down meaningless bars. I understand AI is low on S397's list of priorities; we can all make lists and rf2 is, in-so-far as my wallet is concerned, low on my list of priorities.

It's not even that the AI ruins the offline experience, I can't run a race with a few friends and fill the pack with AI ,ie historic Le Mans with the 67 Enduro pack so this new GT3 would be just another car I will get no value from.
In case you don't want to deal with setup work, then sim racing might be just not your thing. This is a racing sim, so some setups are just racey. There are actually very few roadcars in rF2 that might offer what you are looking for.

Other than that, there aren't that many sims that even offer you the chance to race online with AI, so I have no idea what you are complaining about. Yes, hosting races could be made easier, but that's a completely different topic. I've done a few online races with a buddy with AI in the mix and we had zero issues. Getting servers filled with AI has actually been a huge complaint in the past, until the new UI appeared.

That is more the responsibility of the 3rd party painters to keep the skins current. S397 is over-hauling the entire graphic engine and that means previous versions will often no longer function. Many older 3rd party tracks have also fallen victim to the new exterior shaders being used at tracks now. The end result is a better looking product, but one that has issues with older content. Paul Jeffries 488 GT3 preview video included several white cars whose skins were no longer compatible with the latest improvements. I have gone through all my downloaded cars and erased them. I won't be adding many til this update process completes..(which may be a while)
Yes, agree...and does this also relate to 3rd party Tracks as I tried out the Ferrari GT3 EVO on an older 3rd party track from the 'Workshop' I have had for years and the Ferrari EVO looked awful, well, to my eyes anyway...lol

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 291 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 203 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 197 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.5%
  • < 5 years