rF2 | Ferrari GT3 Released and September Development Roadmap

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Studio 397 have posted their latest 'Development Roadmap' for the month of September followed closely by the release of the Ferrari 488 GT3 EVO 2020.
  • Previews on Nordschleife PBR update.
  • Ferrari 488 GT3 EVO 2020 Released.
The end of the month is almost here, and in a pleasant change the first of the regular sim racing developer roadmap postings has come out at some time other than the middle of the night! Yes, Studio 397 have been a little quicker off the marks that usual this month in their regular rFactor 2 update blog - dropping the rF2 'Development Roadmap' for the month of September earlier than usual - with some interesting insights in what is happening over at the Dutch sim racing studio.

The Ferrari DLC

Before we take a look at the roadmap update, the team at Studio 397 also released their latest GT3 car for rFactor 2 - the stunning Ferrari 488 GT3 EVO 2020 - available now from the rFactor 2 Steam Store.

Here's what they had to say about the new car:

Italian design is renowned for the fusion of form and function in such a way that often produces the most spectacular of results, and it would be fair to say the incredible Ferrari 488 GT3 EVO 2020 is absolutely no exception to that long and impressive tradition – resulting in arguably one of the most visually stunning cars ever created to the GT3 regulation ruleset.

rFactor_2_Ferrari_488_GT3_EVO_2020_04.jpg

Revealed in the winter of 2019, the new for this year 488 GT3 EVO 2020 represents a wholesale improvement over the successful, but ageing current generation GT3 challenger from Ferrari. Benefiting from over 18,000 hours of calculations and CFD simulations before the new package even hit the wind tunnel, Ferrari have left no stone unturned in their attempts to firmly cement the 488 GT3 bloodline as one of the most successful cars in the marque’s long and illustrious history.

Visually, the EVO benefits from an improved frontal section that incorporates enhanced aerodynamics delivering to the driver greater downforce and stability, aided by tweaks at both the front and rear of the new package without modifying the overall balance of the car.

Larger vents above the front wings, re-profiled door profiles to facilitate better overall airflow and a tweaked rear section are just some of the more notable changes that one immediately finds when looking at this striking machine.

rFactor_2_Ferrari_488_GT3_EVO_2020_05.jpg

The 488 GT3 EVO 2020 is also noticeably longer than its predecessor, bringing the car in line with its GTE counterpart, allowing Ferrari to improve the way the new machine manages its tyres on track – allowing drivers to run faster for longer, in that all important pursuit of glory!

Engine wise, the EVO retains the tried and trusted twin-turbo 90-degree V8 of the previous generation vehicle, however Ferrari have coupled this to an all new engine management system that improves reliability and produces a smoother, more precise torque delivery.

Sleek lines, aggressive styling and an iconic exhaust note that oozes passion and performance, the Ferrari 488 GT3 EVO 2020 can be yours to drive in rFactor 2 today – head over to the rFactor 2 Steam Store and strap yourself into poetry in motion.

The Roadmap

In something of a flurry of news, S397 also released their latest Development Roadmap for the month of September. In this posting the studio took the opportunity to view their recent Bentley Continental GT3 2020 car release and the upcoming Ferrari 488 GT3 EVO machine, whilst also informing the sim racing community of an upcoming additional hotfix set to be released for the GT3 cars later in the week.

rF2 Nurbs 1.jpg

Of the more notable things within the posting are some nice preview images from the major refresh coming to their laserscanned Nürburgring Nordschleife - the team over at Studio 397 have been working hard in recent months to substantially refresh the legendary German circuit within the simulation - including bringing the circuit up to the current PBR shader standards and many other tweaks and improvements.

No release date for the Nordschleife update has been put forth by the studio yet, however preview image progress suggests it won't be too far away into the future now I'm sure.

As a final line right at the very end of the post, the studio have teased they plan to make a new track announcement during the month ahead, so stay tuned for further news on that one when the timing is right.

Original Source: Studio 397

rFactor 2 is available now exclusively on PC.

Want to know how to get the best from the simulation? Head over to the RaceDepartment rF2 sub forum and open up a new thread today - let our epic community be your guide!

rF2 Nurbs 2.jpg

rF2 Ferrari 1.jpg

Last edited:
All I can suggest is try copying the attached settings and visuals I have in rFactor 2...you will of course need 'Toban' and see whether your screen shots look the same as mine.

I think Monitor settings, color / contrast / brightness and type of Graphics Card will also influence the outcome of the final screen shots.

View attachment 409825View attachment 409826View attachment 409827View attachment 409828

I drove down to the first corner then went back to the 'Replay'...first screen shot of where to camera is.
View attachment 409832

Pause the car when it gets to here, so it should look like this with the sun position going from right to left creating the shadow out the rear end of the EVO.
View attachment 409837
Zoomed out version
View attachment 409843

From here I press the 'END' key (it's the Default key I think) to activate the 'Spectator Camera' and then move the camera around to the back of the EVO for the screen shot
View attachment 409839

Final unedited screen shot.
View attachment 409840

The trick is I try not to include any people in my screen shots as they generally look low res and fake anyway, plus use the DOF blur to good use;)

I do use Photoshop to crop and re-save my images and on the odd occassion lighten then slightly.

How you get the terrain to be such high detail?

Still, managed to get some improvements.

20201002194331_1.jpg

20201002205704_1.jpg
20201002203132_1.jpg
20201002203328_1.jpg

Last edited:
How you get the terrain to be such high detail?

I have recently been taking screenshots of my sims to use as screen saver on my work computer... and one thing I have learned is that camera position is everything... (besides the light source obviously).

Try moving around the car and going up and down until you get the right reflections in the right places and you can get great results. And as mentioned before, usually early morning/late afternoon are the best moments for pictures in game.

Grab any edition of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue and look at the shadows and more importantly the model's arms. Often you will see GOOSEBUMPS on the poor gals as they stand in cold water right at sunrise when even exotic locations can be quite chilly. Photographers know, the sideways light at dawn or dusk makes the most interesting images.

I have recently been taking screenshots of my sims to use as screen saver on my work computer... and one thing I have learned is that camera position is everything... (besides the light source obviously).

Try moving around the car and going up and down until you get the right reflections in the right places and you can get great results. And as mentioned before, usually early morning/late afternoon are the best moments for pictures in game.

I found out the issue, the track details are at high. I will try if my PC can take it at maxed out setting without running the game at 15 fps.

Again a little bit disappointing. For me Nords already look great, so I wonder how much better it will look. Not excited about the new GT3, but because it’s a Ferrari I’m sure many people are, especially because it looks great.
But I do appreciate recent GT3 physics and BoP update. It would be nice if theyd finally manage to will fix Mercedes AMG FFB.
I wish more emphasis were on fixing long term bugs and issues. But there’s no updates or announcements on that.
This. They don't nothing to say aside the new DLC, this is not even a road map. Bugs are getting older and older.

OMG no way! Where has it been confirmed? A lasser scanned official Spa for rF2?? With the latest and greatest shaders and all? That is awesome news!
over on the Discord, there was a hint in julys roadmap, somebody found it and it has been confirmend to be legit (the hint is every first letter of each topic together says: SPA NEXT), it also has been said its 2020 Spa (but with fans ;)) and laser scanend since all their paid tracks are scannend

Last edited:
Where is the pitcrew animations i read that ISI originally promised? shame studio 397
ISI had like 6 or 7 years to put in pitcrews(even more if you count rf1 as well.). All it takes is money to rent greenscreen studio time, money to convert to cgi, money to record an F1 style stop, a Le Mans style stop, a Nascar style stop, a NLS style stop, a GT3 stop, Indycar, F3, etc etc etc So throw some cash their way instead of blaming S397 for ISI's lack of interest. When ISI had Electronic Arts money backing them, they actually did record and use pitcrews for one of their F1 titles.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back