rF2 | Ferrari 488 GT3 Talk 'n' Drive

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Ahead of release we got our hands on the upcoming Ferrari 488 GT3 EVO 2020 car in rFactor 2, and put it through the RaceDepartment Talk 'n' Drive treatment.
  • New car available in rF2 30.09.2020.
  • 13th GT3 car in rFactor 2.
  • The best car in the sim to date?

The new for 2020 Ferrari 488 GT3 EVO releases in rFactor this Wednesday 30th September, and ahead of release I took the opportunity to turn a few laps at the home of the British Grand Prix to share my impressions and experiences from the new car.

Having already firmly announced myself as a fan of GT3 content within rFactor 2 back when the original GT3 pack first released, I was exceptionally curious to see how this latest bit of DLC would compare against the fellow cars within its class - from both a handling and visual perspective.

Having took to the track against a field of GT3 rivals, check out my thoughts in the video above.

rFactor 2 is available now exclusively on PC.

The rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment is the place to go for the latest news and discussion about the title. Head over to the rFactor 2 sub forum, start up a thread and let the community answer your questions!

Last edited:
Is that damage on the bonnet of the car? Looks a bit like the roof of a rally car that has been rolled. @Paul Jeffrey, what could explain or result in the FFB for the 488 being a notch better than the other GT3 cars?

Yeah I got a little dink early in the race so it carried a bit of damage on the front. Can't remember which AI also had some damage when I was following it, I forget now exactly which one it was.

Regarding FFB / handling. To me this Ferrari just seems a little bit sweeter and more talkative than the last time I ran the GT3's. I could well be just simply the characteristics of the car (as, compared to say the Bentley, the Ferrari is a more compact, racier machine in its very design). I noted, and this is something I've noted before in rF2 but for whatever reason feels a little more pronounced in the Ferrari, is the tyre feeling and how its telling me how much grip and flex the tyres are giving off... which to me at least gives me a more connected feeling to the car on the road.

I posted a video about a year or so ago when the GT3's first came out, and at the time I said I believe it to be the best content in sim racing, and for me this Ferrari just steps it up a little further - from both the model and the handling perspective. Probably easiest way to say it is it feels more "polished" than the others felt at the time, nothing majorly better, but just somehow better :D

If that makes sense?

I couldn't seem to find an exact reference to it online - is the motor on both Ferrari's pretty much the same other than BOP of course :D

FERRARI 488 GTE
4 litre twin turbo V8
490 bhp

Ferrari 488 GT3 Evo 2020
4 litre twin turbo V8
500-550 bhp

I couldn't seem to find an exact reference to it online - is the motor on both Ferrari's pretty much the same other than BOP of course :D

FERRARI 488 GTE
4 litre twin turbo V8
490 bhp

Ferrari 488 GT3 Evo 2020
4 litre twin turbo V8
500-550 bhp

Yeah the GT3 and GT3 EVO both use the same motor, but the EVO has some new electronics to produce a "smoother torque curve" over its predecessor. Not sure how these compare to the GTE version however.

That said... well BOP kinda makes it irrelevant anyway :D

Studio 397: Hires Paul

Paul: rFactor 2 car the finest car in sim racing??

:D

That said, I can probably believe it because rF2 itself is such a good simulation platform.

Lol indeed, but that aside it's actually a follow up comment from my previous GT3 video back in Jan 2019 where I wonder if the GT3's are the best content in sim racing:

(unrelated side note - damn I look younger in that video!!!)

Very nice, though very similar looking, visuals and behavior, to the GTE. Has
to be tested thoroughly, though. Faster machine, so cool addition.

And beautiful and realistic looking, indeed. The best looking so far for
rFactor 2.

I no longer run RF2 as I can't seem to race against other humans.
Can you run that Ferrari off track and also do a couple of hard on-track braking applications?
I want to see if they fixed that puff-ball 'powdered' unrealistic lookin' dirt and smoke yet.
The cars and tracks had come a long way under S397 but the lack of fixes for those niggles proved a bit too frustrating.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 124 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 332 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 463 39.2%