rF2 | Ferrari 488 GT3 EVO 2020 Arrives This Week

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Studio 397 have confirmed another new GT3 car is heading to rFactor 2, with the much anticipated Ferrari 488 GT3 EVO 2020 set to arrive in the simulation this week.
  • Ferrari 488 GT3 Evo joins Bentley Continental GT3 2020 as new content.
  • Car heading to sim as paid DLC this week.
  • Ferrari will mark the 13th GT3 car within the title.

Not content with the recent free Bentley Continental GT3 release and sizeable update to the physics and BOP within the class, Studio 397 recently took to the big wide world of the Internet to confirm another GT3 car is making its way to the simulation very shortly indeed - the Ferrari 488 GT3 EVO 2020!

Yes, everyone loves a Ferrari now, don't they? Well I certainly do, and the addition of the second car from the Prancing Horse to rFactor 2 is a very welcomed one indeed (alongside the existing 488 GTE), especially as it bolsters the already impressive roster of GT3 machines to 13 in number - a pretty nice collection of the great and the good from the world of closed top GT racing.

The preview teaser video released on Studio 397 social media suggests a release date is very close indeed for the new car. No exact date has been given as yet (trust me, it's not far away), so expect more information to come as we draw ever closer to that first opportunity to drive this impressive new racing car from the famous Italian manufacturer.

rFactor 2 is available now exclusively on PC.

The rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment is the place to go for the latest news and discussion about the title. Head over to the rFactor 2 sub forum, start up a thread and let the community answer your questions!

rF2 Ferrari.jpg

Last edited:
Great stuff, they've done an excellent job adding depth to their classes and content - I have some issues with the game itself, but none with the content after this. Wouldn't complain at any more GT cars though, don't get me wrong, but I'd rather have the ability to create my own grids a la Raceroom.

Last edited:
Here is hope for GT4s. They are much more fun cars, IMO.

Yeah we all know how that went in ACC - hype around release, and after a week everyone went back to GT3 "because they are faster and who the **** would pay for a slower car". True story, I read that in online chat.

rF2 has BMW M2 which is fun, but I personally don't play with it either. And it looks like it can hold it's own in rF2 official online races. So I would rather see some 2000s LMP car, or something vintage.

Yeah we all know how that went in ACC - hype around release, and after a week everyone went back to GT3 "because they are faster and who the **** would pay for a slower car". True story, I read that in online chat.

rF2 has BMW M2 which is fun, but I personally don't play with it either. And it looks like it can hold it's own in rF2 official online races. So I would rather see some 2000s LMP car, or something vintage.

ACC has too little tracks, even I did not buy that DLC. If that logic is true, then, LMP1 or F1 would be the most popular class in most games. I think GT3 is just at a sweet spot in terms of speed compared to most cars.

I rather have it in rF2 with larger track selection and also multiclass options.

I hope that this is the final GT3 car they add for a while. Some more diversity would be welcome after this (GT4, some vintage touring cars, Group C or 60s F1, something FWD, LMP2/LMP1/LMH, ...)

While I don't mind them creating GT3 cars for rF2, I certainly agree that if they want to get more people in they should focus on something else. I personally would go for more LMP content, more TCR stuff to add to Nordschleife races and on top something a bit like a Caterham, BAC mono maybe?

GT3 and GT4 are brilliant in ACC, rF2 needs to go another direction content wise...

ACC has too little tracks, even I did not buy that DLC. If that logic is true, then, LMP1 or F1 would be the most popular class in most games. I think GT3 is just at a sweet spot in terms of speed compared to most cars.

I rather have it in rF2 with larger track selection and also multiclass options.

Exactly - a sweetspot, only GT4 is below that sweetspot, just as F1 is above.

GT3 and GT4 are brilliant in ACC, rF2 needs to go another direction content wise...

I think the problem is, no matter which direction they go in, there will always be opinions on it! lol :)

I'm an endurance racing fan, so yes for me modern prototypes are my thing, I'm not interested in classics or GT4 so wouldn't wish to buy them I'm afraid.

One idea is maybe the new generation of LMP3 which are starting to race this year. That would be a good licence for them to get before anyone else.

The Rebellion LMP1 would certainly be a cool addition too but just wishful thinking probably.

Would love to see the NSX, but I know that is unlikely. I agree that GT4's would be awesome, but it would be ACC all over again. I personally would prefer them focus on fixing things like AI and UI.

That said, their official DLC tracks are as good as any tracks I have seen in any sim. More of that would be ok I guess. Hard to use some of the mod tracks after using the official ones.

I think the problem is, no matter which direction they go in, there will always be opinions on it! lol :)

I'm an endurance racing fan, so yes for me modern prototypes are my thing, I'm not interested in classics or GT4 so wouldn't wish to buy them I'm afraid.

One idea is maybe the new generation of LMP3 which are starting to race this year. That would be a good licence for them to get before anyone else.

The Rebellion LMP1 would certainly be a cool addition too but just wishful thinking probably.

I agree and I am also a huge endurance fan. I love the current cars we have for that, but the inability to make a semi realistic multiclass grid is so damn cumbersome it isn't worth it. Then add in the fact that the AI doesn't understand multiclass at all and doesn't work well.

Yep, GT4 is just grid fillers for offline racing really. Some things work IRL because of costs but in simracing they don't make any sense, LMP3 is also an example of that, just grid fillers

While I don't mind them creating GT3 cars for rF2, I certainly agree that if they want to get more people in they should focus on something else. I personally would go for more LMP content, more TCR stuff to add to Nordschleife races and on top something a bit like a Caterham, BAC mono maybe?

Why people keep repeating this crap? Not everyone enjoy ACC, rF2 players want to drive GT3/E in rF2.
And "going for another direction" is working VERY well for AMS2 huh.....

Last edited:
I also wish Rf2 would go out on limb and release some official DLC that no one has yet, like Can Am , a full historial F1 season , like 1971 or such, Group C, Historic Le Mans, i know its been modded , but not official content. On another note, the new UI , its really just cosmetic changes? really? no actual functional changes?

Making a championship with the mod creator is fine, untill youve re-made it 10 times due to updates. Nascar 2003 made the best field selector ever and no one has copied it in almost 20 years since, check off the cars you want to be in the championship save as simple file and load that file during race setup

everyone went back to GT3 "because they are faster and who the **** would pay for a slower car".

For people that feel that way, all I can say is maybe they don't know what they're missing. As car and racing fans, sure we all love super fast track missiles but I think I actually have more fun with the lower powered stuff. I only do single player offline, and even though GTE are probably my favorite class overall, I think I've raced more with the USF2000 and Tatuus F4 than anything else. They're just fun and you can push the hell out of them, where faster more powerful cars are more difficult (as they should be) and bite hard when you overstep the limit. Maybe that means I'm not "good enough" to handle F1's or whatever but I don't care, I know if I jump into those other cars I can race hard without feeling like the car wants to (virtually) kill me. Anyone here ever do any real life kart racing? Did you care that you weren't going 170 mph? I sure didn't.

Similarly in Assetto Corsa (original, I don't have ACC), I think my most driven car is the MX-5 Cup, I just keep coming back to it. Maybe I just like things that are simple with no DRS, KERS, boost settings, fuel maps, TC settings, etc. Gas, brake, steer, shift = :)

But, that's what's great about sims like RF2, AC, etc. - you can mix things up and drive what you feel like. I don't mind more GTs in RF2, NSX and maybe the Lexus would be nice (round out an IMSA grid), and I desperately hope they bring the C8.R for GTE, but otherwise it's a healthy lineup as-is. Mid 90's CART Indy cars would be fantastic - that's old enough to be considered "classic" right? Oh, and an official Global MX-5 Cup DLC would be an insta-buy for me - those cars have been updated since the AC version so at least they wouldn't be exactly the same.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 262 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 173 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 169 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 128 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 231 13.6%