• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

Featured rF2 Development Roadmap: Porsche, UI and eSport

Discussion in 'rFactor 2' started by Paul Jeffrey, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Hal Burns

Hal Burns

Ratings:
    +155
    I guess everyone is trying to get on the e-sports money train....but car sims are way down there...
    See: https://www.esportsearnings.com/games
    Top RF2 player $225,000 pretty nice
    Top iRacing : $62,000 I would have thought they handed outa bit more cash
    Top DOTA 2 player - $6,000,000. WTF? I hate those games....ha ha.

2. Kenny Paton

Kenny Paton
    Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +5,523
    Certainly Twitch viewer rankings indicate that
    R3E. 2,354th
    Rfactor 2, 2,080th
    Assetto Corsa Competizione 1,093rd
    Assetto Corsa. 790th
    But with that let's not drag this too far off topic.

3. Jasje

Jasje
    Premium

Ratings:
    +27
    The sim in the Porsche was rFactor pro, a version for pro teams. Probably custom implementation, those mirrors.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. makan

makan
    Premium

Ratings:
    +161
    • Like Like x 2
  5. dajdosta

dajdosta

Ratings:
    +35
    No, it was regular rFactor 2

• Like Like x 1
  6. MarcG

MarcG
    Premium

Ratings:
    +755
    Whilst you're making your points I think it's a bit early to start pointing out flaws in something you're not actually using yet, you can only see so much from the video and certainly not the way the UI flows as you use it. I'm not saying it's wrong to voice your opinion, just a bit pointless at this time.

So once you get your hands on it and get used to the way it works then by all means have at it with a nicely constructive criticism post like this one, remembering all the while that the UI will be improved upon in the future and what we're getting in a Public Beta soon (!) is merely transference of the old UI, with a few extra little bonus items thrown in for good measure.

---------

On another note the hype created by the community over the UI is startling to me especially when the current UI isn't that bad and is certainly a lot better than a lot of other recent games out there. I also cannot stress enough and completely agree with the recent RD Podcast that this is just a UI, it's just the front end to what lies beneath which is the fantastic driving experience, that's not gonna change just because a shiny new UI comes along!

7. Jasje

Jasje
    Premium

Ratings:
    +27
    Sorry my bad, thought I saw that somewhere.

8. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans
    Studio 397

Ratings:
    +1,877
    No it is not rFactor Pro. It is rFactor 2 and I will tell you how the mirrors were done as that was my idea. They simply have multiple computers with a dedicated server and two clients. The first client obviously is the car you drive, with the triple screens. The second client is a spectator that simply looks back from the car you are driving and that view is projected onto the mirror displays. Simple trick, works quite well! :)

• Like Like x 6
    • Beer Beer x 4
    • Love Love x 2
  9. Rowdy Busch

Rowdy Busch

Ratings:
    +1
    Well, that's what I would call smart :D

• Haha Haha x 2
  10. Brent Mills

Brent Mills
    Brent Mills

Ratings:
    +138
    Very true. However the new competition system is bundled with the ui, now that IS something to get excited about.

• Like Like x 2
  11. FrejkiChodak

FrejkiChodak

Ratings:
    +4
    Im gonna give rF2 another try with the new UI. I love AC,ACC,R3E and I think I should like rF2 but that UI....Im too much of a convenience gamer

12. Ruy Horta

Ruy Horta

Ratings:
    +83
    Well the UI I can live with, but since I started with iRacing I have been consolidating my racing sims.
    With rFactor2 that meant removing all mods and going back to vanilla, including all the s397 content I bought - mainly GT3/GTE.

Too be honest the term “Frankenstein” game is right on the mark.
    There are old ISI tracks and cars, there are s397 additions, some of it is all dx11, some is still dx9 etc.
    The graphics are so so (imo) - not even comparing to AC, ACC and PC2.

However let me add that I think the rain effects, especially in VR, are superb, including the track changes.

I was actually about to delete the whole game and taking the loss when the new rain effect convinced me otherwise.

But whereas the competition can be impressive in its own right, I’m sorry to say that RF2 is just too much of a hodgepodge. My advice to S397 would be to focus on a new core game, tracks and cars that can exist in a racing series context, to carry the title, I’d also clearly separate the “classic” content like the old Spa, Monza and Monaco from the modern content.

13. digital1nk

digital1nk

Ratings:
    +16
    About eSports theres something that people might not be understanding, BUT, having popular eSports is one way to build an active online community. I spent some years playing MOBAS (League of legends, DOTA2, im) and while 95% of people didnt have interest in going "pro" (playing for profesional teams in profesional tournaments), most of them followed them and tried to replicate what "pros" do in an online enviroment. If rFactor 2 or in any other sim trying to push the same thing find to do the structure behind a competitive online racing system plus popular eSports they will pretty much do the next big iRacing.

14. muzikant

muzikant

Ratings:
    +314
    Being patient a lot of good work the last year ;)

15. Jonathan Young

Jonathan Young
    Premium

Ratings:
    +78
    Fair point, although I think there’s some value in constructively pointing out issues (as I see them) before release. This isn’t something that they’ve just knocked up quickly, it’s taken ages, so I imagine they were expecting feedback. I also suspect that this is getting fairly close to final, hence the reveal. Better to point out issues before it drops than afterwards I would have thought?

And yes, some people don’t care about the UI at all. Good for them. Personally I think it’s worth doing right. Racerooms isn’t particularly pretty but it’s logical and consistent. The current RF2 one is both ugly and a disorganized mess. Adding selected AI cars to a race for multi-class is obtuse.

• Beer Beer x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. MarcG

MarcG
    Premium

Ratings:
    +755
    No not Final, it will be released to the public as a Beta first, that's when ideas/issues would be reported better as you'll have it in your hands :)

17. TR_S

TR_S
    Premium

Ratings:
    +29
    The last sentence... +1

18. Mark Brunner

Mark Brunner

Ratings:
    +7
    I find myself playing RF2 mostly and iRacing (although I still don't like how iRacing "feels") for the MP aspect. I find at the moment they give me the best VR experiences/immersion. Sadly time is also more limited later in life :D Still disappointed there has still not been any true competition for iRacing ecosystem.

I would like to see at some point (maybe after UI is solid and competition system is built out) for S397 to re-release the game with all the DLC as part of the base package (for new and current owners of the title). Having paid for a lot of the DLC this really wouldn't bother me.

19. Jonathan Young

Jonathan Young
    Premium

Ratings:
    +78
    Don’t disagree with that. I’ll look forward to getting hands on and giving it a proper test drive. I hope that it’s better than I’m currently expecting and that they’ll respond to feedback if it’s not.

• Beer Beer x 1
  20. dcully

dcully

Ratings:
    +80
    I really want to get rfactor but its pretty expensive now when you factor in extra official content.
    Hoping for a sale sometime soon, probably wont until halloween :(

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.