• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

Featured rF2 Development Roadmap: Porsche, UI and eSport

Discussion in 'rFactor 2' started by Paul Jeffrey, Sep 8, 2019.

1. wombat999

wombat999

Ratings:
    +343
    I keep on keeping on with RF2 but I'll admit that I actually think it's something of a lost cause. It drives rather well but simply getting up and running is royal PITA!
    :confused:

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Disagree Disagree x 5
  2. Ruy Horta

Ruy Horta

Ratings:
    +83
    IMHO eSports is nonsense, but it is pushed for commercial reasons - as always.
    Even the name is ridiculous, it is not a sport it is playing video games - regardless of difficulty level.

At best it is like most bar games, takes some skill, certainly to be a top player, but it is make believe compared to the real thing.

Racing sims have a slight advantage, only slight, compared to games like Fortnite, Call of Duty etc.

Sorry iRacing / 397 / Raceroom etc :)

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Norbert Sajtos

Norbert Sajtos

Ratings:
    +1
    Regarding to the new UI. It looks absolutely fantastic, but we need more fixes, like...

1. I'm just hoping that the devs will finally come out with a good solution for VR headset usage as well.
    - Just check Project Cars 2, it handles the VR the best way. It's like the theater mode when you can see movie canvas in VR, but you are not forced to use your VR headset while messing with the car setup, etc. because on the monitor screen you can see only the "canvas" which is not moving with the headset movement.
    - And with the current beta version it's true that loading times are way faster, but during loading you can only see the last frozen frame in the headset. It simply drives my eyes crazy.

2. Mirror and seat adjustment
    - Why do we have to set the mirrors and the seat for the same car but with different vinyls???
    - It's not priority, but would be so good to have the option in VR that the mirrors would follow the head movement as well.

Devs, if you read this, please consider the above ideas to implement as soon as possible, I think I'm not the only one who would like to see these functions in the game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Shad3R

Shad3R

Ratings:
    +215
    What you order online
    [​IMG]
    What you get
    [​IMG]

• Haha Haha x 10
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Love Love x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. leclettico

leclettico

Ratings:
    +99
    About images.
    I never had a graphic detail like the one showed. Is it my fault? I have all graphic sliders to the maximum.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +34
    To be fair, it is possible, to make it look like advertised:
    20180611222113_1-1920x1080.jpg

In our own game:

20190618102710_3.jpg

This wasn't even its final form (uh..i mean full settings)

The NoS/Porsche Cup presentation wasn't very beautiful or fluid though, there i have to agree.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Haha Haha x 1
  7. pabletux

pabletux
    Premium

Ratings:
    +45
    Looking forward on the new UI and graphics updates, not a fan of the GT3 cup car.

eSports thing, I also follow simracing604, jimmy, Gamermuscle, they are different to those kids that thinks they are professionals, playing with the t-cam view of chase cam, really. But is funny, let´s they do it, as long as they not try to give me lessons about simracing. Some of them thinks they are sim racing gods, and knows everything and " i´m better than you ", the only "team" I follow is Vodafone Giants with Pablo Lopez, or Aday Coba, humility before everything, obviously is not all of them.

8. BrunoB

BrunoB

Ratings:
    +135
    What what?
    Are you me?:laugh:

9. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo

Ratings:
    +797
    Feels like being pushed but I see it as a bet from developers (and in some cases manufacturers too) in case the whole esport thing really sticks.
    Personally I only take a look at other people playing games to see a preview of a car or track or to see how a league is running in case I join it. But I think watching other people playing games is rather stupid and in simracing it's even more. I mean you see top players in Counter Strike, what they do is impressive it's different of what 99% of us can do but in simracing the guy driving the car feels like he is doing exactly what all of us do but he goes way faster for some "unknown" reason :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Beer Beer x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. mantasisg

mantasisg

Ratings:
    +2,034
    Whats the difference ? You watch someone else in action in either way. But wait, I know the difference.

Watching JB or GM is like spending time with a friend which you don't have (I suppose :D). And thats probably the most important thing in the age of loneliness. If you'd watch proper eSports racing stream, which would make you feel like you are not only listening to "professional" commentator/-s, but also being together with friend/-s, then it would be same thing. Unfortunately those two things obviously can't be both at 100% in the same time.

But people doesn't even seem to participate as they clearly realize that they have no chance. More ways of engaging people into esports has to be found.

Additionally, I don't think that modern professional racing is always interesting to watch. It isn't always irl, so obviously even more so in virtual world. I don't get why it always has to be the present reality that is simulated, as some of simulation huge advantages over real life is that you can effectively "travel in time", which doesn't seem to be used anymore.

True, sometimes they are also so clean, that they even appear slower than they actually are. And it gets worse when all grid starts driving relatively perfectly with only little bit different pace, so it pretty much turns into train driving around the track, which is as interesting to watch as football with all defense and no attack.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
  11. Fonsecker

Fonsecker

Ratings:
    +556
    The only frustrating about eSport is, that i will never be as good to compete with the pro´s in sim racing, so all this eSport challenges are not my cup of coffee. iRacing does a great job with the online racing thing. Doesnt mater what series u choose, just hop in and get a good fun in racing (I only do the oval racing thing in iRacing)

So if the future will be this style of online competition, i am in. But only those events, World fastest Gamer and other things, i am not good enough. And just for doing some hotlaps and seeing my name in a list of players at position 1250 of 5000 gives me no satisfaction at all.

And joining a league is also not an option fo rme, cause i do not want to compete in a leage with planned races every week or two. Just hanging up with equal players on public servers more or less what iracing is doing is fun for me....

• Beer Beer x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Terry Rock

Terry Rock

Ratings:
    +745
    I am still not a 'fan' of the difficulty surrounding online multiplayer racing without being in a league.
    That said.... S397 has done well getting RF2 to run more efficiently and with better content.
    I thank them for that but I'd still like to see a bit more emphasis placed on multiplayer racing....especially given the added cost ISI charged for that ability.
    Wasn't that what the 'lifetime' payment was all about?

13. RikkiBalboa

RikkiBalboa

Ratings:
    +1
    But how? How can you achieve this? I have an AMD RX480. Maybe possible with Nvidia and not AMD? Please post your settings, hopefully I can achieve the same.

Glad to read in the road-map that they are working on shaders. Hopefully will brings great improvements in the graphic department.

• Like Like x 1
  14. 2stains

2stains

Ratings:
    +200
    I find it looks every bit as good as the advertised shots ;) This was just a quick pic i took last week at Sebring from my replay during a 20 lapper
    Screenshot (65) - Copy.png
    If needed i can try for a similar angle to your pic but im not much of a photographer :p

15. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo

Ratings:
    +797
    Overall you need to be able to run it on max (but shadows on high looks better than full imo) to get those visuals. At FullHD that card should be able to do get it all on full shadows(max blur)/reflections medium, 12~15 visible cars and get the AA right to keep ur fps stable. Wont look like the screenshots but it wont look bad either, IMO ofc

• Like Like x 1
  16. 2stains

2stains

Ratings:
    +200
    Deleted

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  17. snezana

snezana

Ratings:
    +2
    I have no interest at all in E sports either,and for all the money I spend on iRacing (for example) I do feel they are losing site of the majority of their members that just want to race,Of course they have the right to make money for the company any way they want.But I for one am beginning to feel neglected for the sake of E sports.

18. Nick Hill

Nick Hill
    Premium

Ratings:
    +457
    Yeah, to be clear, I don't have a "problem" with eSports themselves. Like I said, if you watch and/or participate, I hope it's because you enjoy it and you absolutely should not let me ruin your fun. I just don't think there are that many such people, yet devs seem to be really enthused about the whole thing...which leads me to my theory (still not a "problem") that devs are either trying to convince their user base this is a "thing" OR the devs themselves are being fed information that this is a "thing" (probably a combo of the two, actually).

And when I say "thing", I mean "more of a thing than it actually is".

Ultimately though, I appreciate S397 still kicking the can down the road, so to speak. The rF2 engine is too damned good to let die on the vine and I think that was a very real possibility not that long ago. S397 has been a net positive for rF2 and sim racing in general.

• Like Like x 1
  19. NDG

NDG
    Non Dangerous Guy

Ratings:
    +164
    Sorry off topic... Gamer Muscle had a video of that full sized 911 and RF2 running with separate mirrors. Anyone have any idea how they manage to stream the mirrors to a separate device?

20. John-Eric Saxén

John-Eric Saxén

Ratings:
    +958
    Well what you are showing is a low-res screenshot from I presume a YouTube livestream, which we don't know what bitrate it uses, with YouTube compression added on top and we don't know what settings the broadcaster is using plus it's running a beta track not in release shape (Nordschleife). So are you still wondering why it doesn't look the same?

• Agree Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.