rF2 Demo - G25 steering 'sloppy' and seems to have a deadzone

Connor Caple

Slowest Racer in Town...
I get the Logitech G25 up as normal (101/100/100) which works for rFactor, AC and Race07 but I'm getting a similar ingame issue to the one in R3E - sloppy steering.

In the rF2 Sim's setup the steering is on a linear response and works perfectly (the triangle starts to fill up instantly when you move the wheel off centre) but once in game on a test run the wheel feels dead in the middle by around 8 to 10 degrees either side of centre and lacks feedback in that area.

I've checked that all settings in and out of game have ZERO degrees of deadzone. I've restarted the game, restarted the PC, unplugged and re-inserted the G25, re-discovered the G25 and tried fiddling with the car specific feedback settings on the provided demo Civic between 1.0 to 1.50 whilst reducing the smoothing. Nothing seems to help - it just feels horrible.

My basis for comparison is obviously race 07 and Asetto Corsa, both of which work very well with tweaks to their setups.

Have any other G25 owners found a fix for this?

System:
AMD quad 4.2Ghz, HD8570 2Gb @ 1080p (or 720p, makes no difference), 8Gb RAM, 40" LED TV/Monitor on 'Game' setting running Windows 10 TP (and Windows 7 - tried both) with rF2 Demo build 860

Sorry, Logitech profiler settings.

Overall Effects Strength 101%
Spring Effect Strength 100%
Damper Effect Strength 100%

No Centering Spring, 900 degrees of Rotation, Allow game to adjust settings

Pretty standard and they work in every sim for me once I adjust the in-game settings to get the feel I like.

I'm not a G25 user.

But i think you should set spring effect to 0% and damping to 0%.

Instead off damping use the ingame smoothing to smooth out the G25 gear rattling.

BTW: never go on a "green track".
- Put some AI on track. And press "ctrl-x". Wait for a few minutes.
- You'll see the AI racing line/rubber build up and marbels appear.
- Press "ctrl-x" again and go on track.
- Take 2 easy laps before go at full speed. You should notice a big chance in grip.

In multiplayer the real road is more spread out. We humans don't drive the exact same line every time. :D

I'm not a G25 user.

But i think you should set spring effect to 0% and damping to 0%.

Instead off damping use the ingame smoothing to smooth out the G25 gear rattling.

BTW: never go on a "green track".
- Put some AI on track. And press "ctrl-x". Wait for a few minutes.
- You'll see the AI racing line/rubber build up and marbels appear.
- Press "ctrl-x" again and go on track.
- Take 2 easy laps before go at full speed. You should notice a big chance in grip.

In multiplayer the real road is more spread out. We humans don't drive the exact same line every time. :D
The settings are OK in the profiler I used them as well on my G25.
@Connor Caple Can you make a screenshot of the ingame settings?
With the G25 I usually went up with the FFB multiplier to 1.5 instaed of the default 1.0 and I unchecked "wheel rotation vehicle set" and used 520° of rotation and 25° steering lock in the cars setup. When I first drove rF2 the "FFB Smoothing" setting was not available and I run it on 0 always. It gives you rattling etc. on the curbs, but the feel when racing on track is much improved (imo). Everything else default as far as I know.
As @Gijs van Elderen said you want to have some rubber on the track as a green track is not that nice to drive.

Thanks for the reply @Gijs van Elderen . I have no issue with the grip, it's all about the steering :D. Even with the sloppy steering I can get within 2 seconds of the AI, which is an achievement when the top part of the wheel movement feels like it does nothing.

There have been ongoing arguments about the settings in that profiler for more years than I can remember ( been here since 2009 iirc) but as I said, it works in every sim the way I have it. Turning off the Damper Effect Strength (according to Logitech) will stop in-game damping from working at all. Similarly the Spring Effect set to zero will stop in-game Spring feedback.

I turned them off, as you suggested, and tried different in game smoothing settings (including zero) and the steering is still 'sloppy' and not that driveable. I have tried every combination of settings now, as far as I can see. :confused:

@Frederic Schornstein My settings in game:

1911297_10152568475658500_4882877357271876895_o.jpg

Sorry about the facebook post, couldn't figure out where else to share it!

(I turned all video settings to LOW in game and dropped the resolution to 720P and it was still just as sloppy - just wanted to check it wasn't weird graphical lag at all.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hint: Use "ctrl-f" to monitor your frame rates. ;)

The 360 degrees and still a sloppy feeling isn't normal. :O_o:

Maybe you are driving with major understeer and powering through the corner. The Honda has a powerful engine. You should feel front-wheel torque steering. Especially during up shifting and turning.

BTW: i've embedded your screenshot. ;)

Everything is already off :D I always set new sims up as if for a Club race, so no aids at all usually. (Except AC when 'stock' aids are left on even in Pro)

The sloppiness is mainly noticed on the straights, rather than in the corners. This stops me making a smooth pass on other cars as I can't accurately position the vehicle where I want it.

Thanks for embedding the pic - couldn't figure that out. :thumbsup:

I drove a whole season of races a few years ago in an Abarth 500 "esse esse" on 360. Great little car. :thumbsup:

I found a quite complex post on the official rF2 forums about the FFB responses and have been working my way through it and getting a headache and changing config settings. Either it's starting to feel better or I'm getting used to the sloppiness, can't decide which :p

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...-for-rFactor-2-The-key-to-being-in-the-Zone-D

Can I ask which steering lock did you use in the Civic? If you ran 25° of lock with 360° of rotatiin you will get the front wheels to slip so fast, that it will feel really wrong. With 360° you are looking at 18 to 20° of steering lock and actually around the middle on a straight the steering isnt super direct in a car like the Civic as it is very close to a road car.

20% lock and I initially tried it with 540 degrees of wheel, before reducing it to 360 degrees to check the deadzone problem.

Perhaps it's just a bad car for the demo if it has natively sloppy steering? My road cars have all had non-sloppy steering, everything from the Clios to the Cruze has been very responsive on and off the track. No race driver would accept 'floaty' steering on the track, maybe they got the modelling wrong? :D

20% lock and I initially tried it with 540 degrees of wheel, before reducing it to 360 degrees to check the deadzone problem.

Perhaps it's just a bad car for the demo if it has natively sloppy steering? My road cars have all had non-sloppy steering, everything from the Clios to the Cruze has been very responsive on and off the track. No race driver would accept 'floaty' steering on the track, maybe they got the modelling wrong? :D
20% you mean 20° steering lock is not measured in % and it is in the setup.not in the setting (did you mean steering rate?!). Usually the Honda is a very nice car to drive with a G25.

Sorry, yes, I meant the steering rate. I have tried to avoid fiddling with the config files, apart from the FFB settings to try to counter the centre 'deadzone' problem as found in that other post I linked from the official forums.

I can't find a 'Steering Lock' setting anywhere, so no idea what that is set to, sorry. :redface:

Sorry, yes, I meant the steering rate. I have tried to avoid fiddling with the config files, apart from the FFB settings to try to counter the centre 'deadzone' problem as found in that other post I linked from the official forums.

I can't find a 'Steering Lock' setting anywhere, so no idea what that is set to, sorry. :redface:
It is when you are on the track and go in the garage. It is a car setup thing and default is 25°. With 360° of rotation and 25° steering lock in the car setup everything should feel wrong to be honest :D

Ah - hehe. I switched it back to 540deg for my latest run as I've been fiddling with the FFB and it's starting to feel better.

I set up the Steering Torque Minimum at 3.5% and that has helped a bit with the deadzone in the middle and enabled me to reduce the overall FFB for that car to about 0.75 and still have it retain the feel but without the roughness and overmodulation it was getting before.

I tried changing to the 'Friction' FFB model earlier instead of the 'Damping' but it didn't feel right with the strong FFB I had at the time, I may try it again now I've got more control over the basic response.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 345 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 236 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 235 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 296 13.4%