rF2 | April Development Roadmap

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Once again the end of the month brings with it new musing from various sim racing developers, with Studio 397 taking time out of their busy schedule to update us all on the progress of rFactor 2.

Yes, another month is over. Lockdown for many of us continues, and the world of racing remains in something of limbo. With little happening on the real tracks, much of the interesting action has been taking place on their virtual counterparts, with plenty of hard work being undertaken behind the scenes at various studios to maximise the current level of exposure our hobby is enjoying.

With the month having closed out, let's take a look at what Studio 397 have been doing these past few weeks:

This evening, after another extremely busy and exciting day at the virtual office, I had dinner, walked my dog, and finally sat down behind my desk. I put on some music to start writing the roadmap update for this month.
My mind started to wander. Four years ago this month I was in the middle of writing some code to extend the Steam integration of rFactor 2 when all of a sudden Gjon popped up on Skype to start a discussion that quickly transformed into an opportunity I simply had to take. Many interesting discussions followed as we worked towards founding a new company to continue the development of a racing simulation that I spent many hours driving, racing strangers that became close friends. One of the probably less important tasks on my checklist back then was to come up with a name for this new company. If you’ve ever gone through such a process, you probably know it’s not easy to find a name that is still available as a domain. We finally settled on the somewhat cryptic Studio 397, a hint at our desire to one day bring the iconic track of Le Mans to the simulation. For those of you not aware of the meaning of the number, it is the record number of laps driven during the 24 hour race.
Speeding along the virtual Mulsanne Straight, my mind wanders again as I think about the many stories that are attached to each of the tracks we’ve built over the years. Sunset bend, where we fielded a sister car with Robin Frijns and Dries van den Elzen, who wanted to experience first hand what it would be like to drive a 12 hour endurance race in a professional simulator. An old tool called Ring trainer for Grand Prix Legends introduced me to many unique spots of which Karussel is probably one of the best known. One weekend we drove a 24 hour race there only to learn at the finish that due to some technical issue we had to drive the whole race again the next weekend. Tarzan corner and its dunes where the place where I first met two people whom I now have the pleasure to work with. At the time they were both working on other projects, but our common love for simracing brought us together there. Over sixteen years ago, with some friends we founded Simracing for Holland, taking the iconic livery from Jan Lammers’ Racing for Holland. We are still racing today and the many people that raced with us over the years are on our blocked livery as a tribute.
As you’ve by now no doubt figured out, this roadmap is a bit different from the ones we regularly bring you at the end of the month. So are the current times obviously, where we should all stay in touch with our friends and loved ones, and support them wherever that is needed. With the whole motorsport world sitting at home, it is great to see all this attention on simracing. It pleasantly messes with our plans, and we are all grateful about that. You’ve seen us in the All-Star battles, where many current drivers and legends from the past enjoy themselves racing each other on equal terms. I personally thoroughly enjoyed watching for example Jan Magnussen and Jenson Button racing each other hard and fairly. I was also impressed by the Formula E drivers getting together and showing their skills on the narrow streets of Hong Kong. But apart from these global events, we also did a race on a regional dutch channel, racing a fictional track through the streets of Maastricht, broadcast by a local TV station that did an awesome job to draw in a large and diverse audience on TV and internet. And judging from the talks we are having now, we will create many more great stories in the weeks to come.
Earlier this month, the news that Stefano Casillo left Kunos to start a new adventure surprised a lot of people. It’s a bold move, but I believe he is following his passion and developing new software that soon might surprise a brand new audience. Or maybe we will all see him rock at Pinkpop next year?
So what’s cooking at our Studio? As I mentioned, a lot of our plans have been shuffled and re-arranged. Our track team finished Portland, but it won’t be released until we’ve finished our extensive lighting pass and released a new build. In the mean time they are working on two brand new tracks, as well as a few updates to our existing ones. Our car team completed a brand new car that we currently can’t release as its release was planned to coincide with the real car, and that has been delayed. Here too we moved on to the next car, which unfortunately we can’t announce just yet, but it’s a unique opportunity for our Studio. Our developers have been testing our new overlay system, making tweaks to ensure it can be properly customized. We also fixed a few long standing issues with our package management system, which delayed the pending update of the new UI. Development on the lighting system is now in a phase where artists and developers are iterating over many of the improvements to create the proper balance for each. We are also fixing some smaller bugs and discussing physics improvements. Our esports team is already looking ahead at future seasons for our GT series, planning the next race for BMW as well as streamlining our broadcast setups.
The hard thing right now is to predict what will happen next. Extrapolating based on the last weeks we can only say that we probably don’t know. As a good friend said to me, we need to be prepared for pleasant surprises, and on that note I wish everybody a healthy future, stay safe and look out for each other!
Marcel

Original Source: Studio 397.

rFactor 2 is available exclusively on PC.

Want to know how to get the best from the sim? Start a thread in the rFactor 2 sub forum and let our community offer you the benefit of their massive combined experience.

rFactor 2 Roadmap.jpg

I just started playing rf2 and I love it especially with a motion platform...The sounds and feelings of the cars is very satisfying..Yes, UI is (very)frustrating compared to the other racing games I play but I hope that get fixed....But like AC, modding has taken that game to a next level. Can modding take this game to the next level

I just started playing rf2 and I love it especially with a motion platform...The sounds and feelings of the cars is very satisfying..Yes, UI is (very)frustrating compared to the other racing games I play but I hope that get fixed....But like AC, modding has taken that game to a next level. Can modding take this game to the next level

And it is the last of the current gen sims to be modable (not counting AC as current gen).

There are some great free mods out there in the Steam Workshop. If you like classic F1 cars for example, check out the ones from ASR Formula.
Collections are a great way to find these great mods, e.g. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1631808672

We also fixed a few long standing issues with our package management system, which delayed the pending update of the new UI. Development on the lighting system is now in a phase where artists and developers are iterating over many of the improvements to create the proper balance for each. We are also fixing some smaller bugs and discussing physics improvements.

This is what I was hoping for in a long time. It’s about time to fix some of the long standing issues that people report and repeat several times on official forum, RD and official discord.
But I’m happy rF2 is being used more often by pro drivers. It kinda indicates rF2's physics is still one of the best among sims, despite rF2 lacks (official) laser scanned tracks and good online competition system. You don't see many pro drivers using i.e. pCars2 despite it has much better UI, graphics etc.

I understand S397 was more focused on UI for last couple years and has to deal with legacy ISI code. But I physics guys should work in parallel to fix some issues I.e. with GTE handling(too much oversteer which contributes to slower GTE lap times comparing to GT3 or very low engine inertia bug. DLC cars are always updated graphically(except dashboards), but physics issues seem very rarely fixed.

Of course upgrading/ implementing proper drivetrain model, proper clutch (with H pattern shifter damage) support is complex and would take a lot of effort even for a competent developer. But there are many small issues that (supposedly)exist on TODO list for a long time and seem relatively easy to fix(and would be low hanging fruit).

But I don’t know internal side, maybe ISI code is such a mess that it usually takes 5 more times for a competent software engineer to fix anything.
I wish S397 would have even a half of iRacing's income so they could hire good engineers (maybe some former ISI guru) to work more complex models (i.e. tire, drivetrain).

Hopefully, there are interesting updates and content coming soon.

I am quite disappointed with this month's roadmap, to be honest. I would be fine if it is just "a line saying due to coronavirus, there won't be an update this month". Some silence is fine like S3 is going through now.

No doubt AMS 2 is more exciting now but that is a game is in early access with probably numerous content to announce.

Good things come to those who wait ! rF2 has a lot of depth and a long legacy and Marcel seems to be determined to develop it with highly focused and licensed content only which will keep it a bit special and different from other offerings.

I liked AMS and admire the Reiza efforts but will reserve judgement on AMS 2: it spans everything from karts through trucks through dirt and has a lot of historic and generic content, all from a relatively small team and working on an engine which has its critics. It inevitably means that it cannot have the same focus as ACC or rF2 who have less varied content, have access to every part of the engine and can work with the licencors, i.e. manufacturers.

Nice to have the choices though!

I got excited when I saw the headline, hoping it would be accompanied by an update fixing some of the niggles, particularly with the UI.

Love rF2, but am greatly concerned that the end is approaching. After all, it took so long to refresh the UI and there are so many glaring usability issues with it that it leaves me wondering what state future enhancements will be in when they finally arrive. Beta or not, it's too little too late right now, people aren't going to hang on forever.

It has been disappointing to say the least. RF2 has been in development for what, 7 years? Unfortunately, it is the least played sim on my system. The lack of good mods and really well made tracks. After 7 years? Come on. There are several good mods, Cheifwiggum's are among the best ever made, Enduroracers and I do have hope for the VLM Group C/IMSA conversion that several folks are working on. But considering how long this has been around. It is no wonder people are loosing interest.

It has been disappointing to say the least. RF2 has been in development for what, 7 years? Unfortunately, it is the least played sim on my system. The lack of good mods and really well made tracks. After 7 years? Come on. There are several good mods, Cheifwiggum's are among the best ever made, Enduroracers and I do have hope for the VLM Group C/IMSA conversion that several folks are working on. But considering how long this has been around. It is no wonder people are loosing interest.
There is plenty of good mods

Given up? Never!
See you this time next year then, with more excuses to why nothing you
Well... if what you say is true money can make it their first job and using it to give them time and study they can become qualified which would in turn fix bad development decisions so you are pretty wrong on this one...
Youre confusing development decisions with experience, just like they fob off real world gt3 drivers, who once tested their cars, because it'd mean more work to actually put right.
They can still make bad decisions, like they repeatedly do, never once hitting a release target.
Money can indeed bring them upto to speed, but where will it come from, how long will it take.
I bought everything S397 made for rf2, I was a staunch defended, but fool me once, fool me twice.
It's clear for those that are tainted, that the development to get rf2 to a competitive state, is at least 2-3 yrs away, and that's of the competition just sits idle.

I'm sorry @Marrs you have bought this on yourselves, releasing content that is sub par to modders, then not fixing those issues, stating dates for release and not hitting one, and missing every single one by a long shot.
Forgive me if you have given me the appearance of ametures

See you this time next year then, with more excuses to why nothing you

Youre confusing development decisions with experience, just like they fob off real world gt3 drivers, who once tested their cars, because it'd mean more work to actually put right.
They can still make bad decisions, like they repeatedly do, never once hitting a release target.
Money can indeed bring them upto to speed, but where will it come from, how long will it take.
I bought everything S397 made for rf2, I was a staunch defended, but fool me once, fool me twice.
It's clear for those that are tainted, that the development to get rf2 to a competitive state, is at least 2-3 yrs away, and that's of the competition just sits idle.

I'm sorry @Marrs you have bought this on yourselves, releasing content that is sub par to modders, then not fixing those issues, stating dates for release and not hitting one, and missing every single one by a long shot.
Forgive me if you have given me the appearance of ametures

Would love to see you do a better job. How to make yourself look like an idiot right there.

Would love to see you do a better job.
I somewhat agree to this, but it's not like they were working all from single office and now they couldn't. For IT-people working from home is not something extraordinary.
Also, in March roadmap Marcel wrote - "Expect a release candidate towards the end of this month." ...So we are kind of expecting.
I just cannot ignore rapid reduction in actual information level - from month update + weekly updates 2 months ago to 1 monthly update in March, to "mood-piece" with no actual information this month.

I love rF2 and I don't see a possible replacement for it at the moment - feature wise, but this month's roadmap, at least to me, is most pessimistic one so far.

I somewhat agree to this, but it's not like they were working all from single office and now they couldn't. For IT-people working from home is not something extraordinary.
Also, in March roadmap Marcel wrote - "Expect a release candidate towards the end of this month." ...So we are kind of expecting.
I just cannot ignore rapid reduction in actual information level - from month update + weekly updates 2 months ago to 1 monthly update in March, to "mood-piece" with no actual information this month.

I love rF2 and I don't see a possible replacement for it at the moment - feature wise, but this month's roadmap, at least to me, is most pessimistic one so far.

Its a small development team and they have probably been focusing on other things during this current time. Plus partners and such that the team may outsource their work to might not be working from home so it might not be possible to do it at the rate they said they would.

Its a small development team and they have probably been focusing on other things during this current time. Plus partners and such that the team may outsource their work to might not be working from home so it might not be possible to do it at the rate they said they would.
I agree. What you wrote is probably true. But it's not like they are outsourcing everything - I sincerely hope they work on the engine themselves. So, they could start working on AI, for example. Or just give us some progress on dev-docs.... Anything.

Look, even the sentence you wrote gives us some information, but it's not in Marcel's roadmap. As it is right now... It's more like "stop paddling, let the river flow" mood. We need some energy and optimism in these times.

I'll say it this way. If I got internal memo like this from my CEO, I would start looking for other job opportunities. Exception would be if I got this memo next morning after a party with lot's of wine involved. :)
Or maybe I'm just reading it wrong... :)

Last edited:
RF2 is my most played sim by a long shot, 2800hrs on steam and probably another 1000hrs before it got on steam. But about 3 weeks ago I pulled the plug and uninstalled.

Subjectively to me, rf2 still feels like a beta. It doesn't feel one step closer to a finished product than it did when it was first releases 7(?) years ago. It feels more like something a group of collage students hacked together from different code snippets found online and somehow got it all to work together... well sometimes.
It does feel amazing to drive when it works, I'll give it that. But having that feeling that you have to win the lottery to even complete a race is frustrating. You never know when you'll get that screen freeze that will put you in a wall and end your race or maybe that guy in front of you gets a screen freeze and ends up inside your car or maybe the driver swap will end your race this time.
There are simply too many issues that's been around for years and years but still hasn't been addressed or made even worse.

Then there is the content. When you release new content and get feedback within hours about issues with said content then do something about it. Or you patch some old content and somehow mess something up and those things happens, we get that. But don't just leave it like that with no rollback nor update. There has been issues with your content that could probably have been fixed within 1 or 2 hours or even less but once it's released and sold it's like you don't care any more, just jumping to the next piece of DLC and repeat.

ACC didn't have a good start but they patched what actually needed to be patched and look where it is now. Same goes for AMS2, not a great start of the EA but a few patches later and it's already looking way better.

There are parts of rf2 that are unmatched in quality and will probably be so for a very long time but those things can't carry rf2 alone. Everything needs to come together nicely. Do the most work where it's truly needs it.
Ever since the beta I hoped and dreamed that one day rf2 would be the great one but I fear that it's too late now. With the new stuff coming around, rf2 is a thing of my past and will be remembered as 'the sim that could have been' in my book.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 377 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 257 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 304 13.1%