rF2 | April Development Roadmap

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Once again the end of the month brings with it new musing from various sim racing developers, with Studio 397 taking time out of their busy schedule to update us all on the progress of rFactor 2.

Yes, another month is over. Lockdown for many of us continues, and the world of racing remains in something of limbo. With little happening on the real tracks, much of the interesting action has been taking place on their virtual counterparts, with plenty of hard work being undertaken behind the scenes at various studios to maximise the current level of exposure our hobby is enjoying.

With the month having closed out, let's take a look at what Studio 397 have been doing these past few weeks:

This evening, after another extremely busy and exciting day at the virtual office, I had dinner, walked my dog, and finally sat down behind my desk. I put on some music to start writing the roadmap update for this month.
My mind started to wander. Four years ago this month I was in the middle of writing some code to extend the Steam integration of rFactor 2 when all of a sudden Gjon popped up on Skype to start a discussion that quickly transformed into an opportunity I simply had to take. Many interesting discussions followed as we worked towards founding a new company to continue the development of a racing simulation that I spent many hours driving, racing strangers that became close friends. One of the probably less important tasks on my checklist back then was to come up with a name for this new company. If you’ve ever gone through such a process, you probably know it’s not easy to find a name that is still available as a domain. We finally settled on the somewhat cryptic Studio 397, a hint at our desire to one day bring the iconic track of Le Mans to the simulation. For those of you not aware of the meaning of the number, it is the record number of laps driven during the 24 hour race.
Speeding along the virtual Mulsanne Straight, my mind wanders again as I think about the many stories that are attached to each of the tracks we’ve built over the years. Sunset bend, where we fielded a sister car with Robin Frijns and Dries van den Elzen, who wanted to experience first hand what it would be like to drive a 12 hour endurance race in a professional simulator. An old tool called Ring trainer for Grand Prix Legends introduced me to many unique spots of which Karussel is probably one of the best known. One weekend we drove a 24 hour race there only to learn at the finish that due to some technical issue we had to drive the whole race again the next weekend. Tarzan corner and its dunes where the place where I first met two people whom I now have the pleasure to work with. At the time they were both working on other projects, but our common love for simracing brought us together there. Over sixteen years ago, with some friends we founded Simracing for Holland, taking the iconic livery from Jan Lammers’ Racing for Holland. We are still racing today and the many people that raced with us over the years are on our blocked livery as a tribute.
As you’ve by now no doubt figured out, this roadmap is a bit different from the ones we regularly bring you at the end of the month. So are the current times obviously, where we should all stay in touch with our friends and loved ones, and support them wherever that is needed. With the whole motorsport world sitting at home, it is great to see all this attention on simracing. It pleasantly messes with our plans, and we are all grateful about that. You’ve seen us in the All-Star battles, where many current drivers and legends from the past enjoy themselves racing each other on equal terms. I personally thoroughly enjoyed watching for example Jan Magnussen and Jenson Button racing each other hard and fairly. I was also impressed by the Formula E drivers getting together and showing their skills on the narrow streets of Hong Kong. But apart from these global events, we also did a race on a regional dutch channel, racing a fictional track through the streets of Maastricht, broadcast by a local TV station that did an awesome job to draw in a large and diverse audience on TV and internet. And judging from the talks we are having now, we will create many more great stories in the weeks to come.
Earlier this month, the news that Stefano Casillo left Kunos to start a new adventure surprised a lot of people. It’s a bold move, but I believe he is following his passion and developing new software that soon might surprise a brand new audience. Or maybe we will all see him rock at Pinkpop next year?
So what’s cooking at our Studio? As I mentioned, a lot of our plans have been shuffled and re-arranged. Our track team finished Portland, but it won’t be released until we’ve finished our extensive lighting pass and released a new build. In the mean time they are working on two brand new tracks, as well as a few updates to our existing ones. Our car team completed a brand new car that we currently can’t release as its release was planned to coincide with the real car, and that has been delayed. Here too we moved on to the next car, which unfortunately we can’t announce just yet, but it’s a unique opportunity for our Studio. Our developers have been testing our new overlay system, making tweaks to ensure it can be properly customized. We also fixed a few long standing issues with our package management system, which delayed the pending update of the new UI. Development on the lighting system is now in a phase where artists and developers are iterating over many of the improvements to create the proper balance for each. We are also fixing some smaller bugs and discussing physics improvements. Our esports team is already looking ahead at future seasons for our GT series, planning the next race for BMW as well as streamlining our broadcast setups.
The hard thing right now is to predict what will happen next. Extrapolating based on the last weeks we can only say that we probably don’t know. As a good friend said to me, we need to be prepared for pleasant surprises, and on that note I wish everybody a healthy future, stay safe and look out for each other!
Marcel

Original Source: Studio 397.

rFactor 2 is available exclusively on PC.

Want to know how to get the best from the sim? Start a thread in the rFactor 2 sub forum and let our community offer you the benefit of their massive combined experience.

rFactor 2 Roadmap.jpg

I have just realised, I shouldn't blame, S397, I should blame the rf2 community, well, most of the verbal long standing members, they don't hold S397 to a standard, and just accept what ever they are given.
Why would S397 do more of the vocal lot are hapoy for bugged unfinished content.
Keep making excuses for them, and rf2 will be for ever a very obscure product with maybe 100 devoted members

But why then vast majority of pro drivers use iRacing? I don’t think it is only because of their online competition system, clean races, popularity and laser scanned tracks.

I'm pretty sure those are about the main reasons you listed. Several pro drivers repeatedly complain about iRacing's on/off iceracing physics (I know, it's a bit of a cliche at this point). It's a bit similar as to why people went with Facebook instead of Google+, why Windows is still the consumer OS of choice over Linux, etc. Unfortunately you can't move people over quickly from a preferred platform to another. Not that rF2 has really made the attempt with its still nowhere to be seen competition system either.

I'm pretty sure those are about the main reasons you listed. Several pro drivers repeatedly complain about iRacing's on/off iceracing physics (I know, it's a bit of a cliche at this point). It's a bit similar as to why people went with Facebook instead of Google+, why Windows is still the consumer OS of choice over Linux, etc. Unfortunately you can't move people over quickly from a preferred platform to another. Not that rF2 has really made the attempt with its still nowhere to be seen competition system either.
I’ve seen recent complaints by pro drivers about iRacing’s tire model (especially inability to catch a slide, to sudden grip fall of etc.), so it seems it’s still not quite fixed, but I think rest of the physics must be pretty good as some of them claim it’s a good training tool. AC was released long time ago, has laser scanned tracks and decent physics , but I still don’t see pro drivers using it (as well as rF2 except recent big e-sport events). I guess they don’t want to deal with hassle related with leagues or even sub par SRS. Recenty few pro drivers complement physics in ACC, but I haven’t seen similar for GT cars in rF2.

That’s interesting. I thought racing teams mostly use rF pro, with some exceptions like Porsche made their private 911 GT3 Cup mod in rF2 , or Tatuus etc. I’ve read cars in rF2 also react realistically on setup changes( like it was in original rFactor).
But why then vast majority of pro drivers use iRacing? I don’t think it is only because of their online competition system, clean races, popularity and laser scanned tracks.
It's because that's where they get the most fun, online competition, that's it, dun dusted, unlikeost of the try hards here, the pros see Sim racing, as just a game, a place to have fun.
Pls tell me, how much fun can you have in rf2 on a daily basis online.
Non zip zilch, I'm done. People grow up,

It's because that's where they get the most fun, online competition, that's it, dun dusted, unlikeost of the try hards here, the pros see Sim racing, as just a game, a place to have fun.
Pls tell me, how much fun can you have in rf2 on a daily basis online.
Non zip zilch, I'm done. People grow up,
Ok but if iRacing physics were bad then some would start to move to other sims if they were significantly better. RF2 is not online game, but I played in organized club and league races in rF2 and AMS so it was good experience. Also some AC and RaceRoom with SRS, but races are less clean.
BTW: basing on some of your posts you are not the best person to tell people to grow up:)

You clearly understood what Alpha version means so why hold them to full release standards... You know it's Alpha so just pass on it for now.

Don't let it bother you to the point where you feel they shouldn't release it because it doesn't match your expectation. I (and I'm sure many others) much rather have these Alpha/Beta releases just like the UI so we can provide feed back and help the team improve on it.

(I Wish S397 would provided more Beta versions like ISI use to do.. (Then make people jump through hops to install it so there would be no confusion on what you where getting into).

That’s interesting. I thought racing teams mostly use rF pro, with some exceptions like Porsche made their private 911 GT3 Cup mod in rF2 , or Tatuus etc. I’ve read cars in rF2 also react realistically on setup changes( like it was in original rFactor).

Honestly, the car and track selection of iRacing, plus the competition system, are a huge pull. I don't love the feel of the game, and I don't feel confident enough for racing online yet, but it is impressive. I think they have the most impressive track selection of laser scans there is, ACC doesn't have as many, and RRE isn't as accurate. No other game has an online matchmaking system that even remotely compares, racing sims really need to adopt what the rest of the games industry has been doing for decades now. Only GT Sport and iRacing pull it off, and ACC is just getting started. Hopefully rF2 gets something too, but the fact that there isn't even a few servers that are constantly running races from Studio 397 is ridiculous.

Tough times...with ACC & AMS2 taking the centre stage. Still guess there’s always room to expand the menu and enjoy RF2 for what it offers and is.
(& don’t mind trying out Zandvoort 2020)

Last edited:
Honestly, the car and track selection of iRacing, plus the competition system, are a huge pull. I don't love the feel of the game, and I don't feel confident enough for racing online yet, but it is impressive. I think they have the most impressive track selection of laser scans there is
Agree. The few times I have seen some experienced and wellknown pro drivers explain the reason they sometimes use iRacing as a practice platform they more or less only explain its to learn a track.:thumbsup:
To get the track memorizing into the mind without using some expensive RL track time.

Except some pro drivers who obviously is on a semi-payroll/sponsorship at iRacing I have never seen one express that he consider iRacings TM and physics as more "realistic" than the competition.
Or even at level with the best from the opposition.:sneaky:

Honestly, the car and track selection of iRacing, plus the competition system, are a huge pull. I don't love the feel of the game, and I don't feel confident enough for racing online yet, but it is impressive. I think they have the most impressive track selection of laser scans there is, ACC doesn't have as many, and RRE isn't as accurate.
I think it depends on what you prefer. If you live in US then yeah iRacing has many US tracks, NASCAR etc.
But if you like European races then perhaps RaceRoom is the best because it has whole licensed series. But as you said no laser scanned tracks(except Nords I think) so pro drivers might not want to use it. If you also like road sports/hyper cars then AC is the best choice, it also has laser scanned tracks. But unfortunately still no game is close to iRacing online competition system. Even SRS.

Modability: IMHO The core part of simracing is racing , most studios seem to get away from modability in 2020 and fill the gap with dynamic racing ecosystem (regular official competitions, leaderboards, good online races, ranked servers etc) and fair amount of official content with the most various car class possible (AMS,RRE,LFS). If players are busy to race official cars , they need nothing else. raceroom and RRRE are the perfect examples, AMS2 may follow too... The Inconsistent quality of available mods is somewhat a weak point for RF2, only the paid mods are still maintained dynamically. Btw AC which has been left by its studio is an exception , this game will have a constant modding side because of the flexibility racing, drifting,cruising etc.
But ability to create mods makes a sim much more popular. Especially for rF2 when it has like 30 official base cars and most of them old or even you could say outdated. Vast majority of overall content are car and track mods and new are created constantly and few are always updated like from Enduracers. rF2 and AC are still alive because of mods. AC has only 20 something official tracks. But I agree mods are varying quality. But I think I.e. ACC would benefit from diversity offered by mods, because if has arguably best graphics, better physics than AC.

Such a shame. If only they could bottle what was so great about driving certain cars like the Mclaren GT3 at Sebring and replicate it, wrapped in a modern UI, with reasonable loading speeds, then RF2 would be great. It’s just so patchy and inconsistent though. But their Sebring will go down in sim racing legend though, it’s epic.

Such a shame. If only they could bottle what was so great about driving certain cars like the Mclaren GT3 at Sebring and replicate it, wrapped in a modern UI, with reasonable loading speeds, then RF2 would be great. It’s just so patchy and inconsistent though. But their Sebring will go down in sim racing legend though, it’s epic.

Honestly, a polish up of certain aspects of the sim would help a lot, I agree. But polishing also takes up a lot of time and energy, and the progress isn't always immediately obvious. Just look at how long the interface is taking, the redesign isn't functionally brilliant and it doesn't seem particularly complex, but apparently getting it working at all just does take this long. Feels like it might have been a shrewd move to come out with an rFactor 3, same engine and mod compatibility, but reworked interface, online and single player aspects. They're changing a lot of stuff for free just to keep the game alive, but all the profits have to come from DLC.

Have you tried following These Instructions under the section named 'Software Wheel Rotation Explained'?

Thanks for that.
Yes I've tried that method before, but will go over it again.

BTW, I'm using an Accuforce V2 DD wheel, so I also need to contend with what my default controller box settings are.
I've tried everything from 200-1440 degrees, nothing changes as far as 1:1 with what I'm seeing on screen.

Oh well, will keep at it.
Cheers!

Truth not enough pick up rooms on rf2 to many set to PW, at the moment suits leagues better, IMHO best ffb, tyre model & physic's. Needs a online racing system better than iracing, lets hope it produces that sooner than later. Iracing is running on a 25yr old hybrid engine cannot keep flogging an old horse when all competition is going more modern engines & online racing system, also anything you buy you don't own you lease as no offline. I own about ten sims none are perfect but for me my go to sim is RF2. Buy different sims support them they all have their own good and bad points but enjoy them for what they are and what they give you.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 243 15.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 166 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 160 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 121 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 225 13.9%