RF2 4 months on + under/over steer + wildcard league entry

I could've started 3 different threads but thought I would keep it all nice and neat. So yes, 4 months now since I really got into RF2 and I'm still loving every moment. I still get excited starting the game up and it's now at the point that i don't touch anything else because in my opinion, nothing else compares to it. The tyre feel, ffb, the tracks cars, it's got it all and I'm now comfortable with my graphic settings which to my eyes look as good as anything else out there. You may think I'm blinkered but I've been gaming since 1978 lol and this is the best virtual driving experience I've ever had so yes I am but I don't care. I've met great people who don't worry about my standard and are quick to help me. I'm not sure how much I've improved in the last 4 months but consistency is getting better.

Under/oversteer
Even after our bootcamp session I still struggle with getting setups sorted for myself and have to revert to getting them off my kind fellow drivers. I'm currently at work researching as I want to be able to do my own setups that feel right to me. I'm reading this at the moment http://www.drivingfast.net/car-control/understeer.htm it's helpful but still confusing. I'll give you an example:
Skip Barber, I know this is a handful of a car but when I come to the corner entry, I turn the wheel and the front of the car spins off track. I'm limited to what I can control with the setup so obviously I need to adapt my driving style but this is understeer yes? but is it, is it the front spinning out or the back. To me it feels like the front wheels go. As you can see, I need a dummies guide but I think I'm learning it sometimes, maybe. could be lol

Finally, I wouldn't mind racing in some of the RF2 leagues but because of my work pattern I can't commit. Is there a chance of maybe getting a wildcard entry for a few races each season? I take part in as many club races as work allows but I need more experience of actual racing. Anyway that's it cheers for reading.

Jim

Hi Jim, if I were you I would forget about setup too much and concentrate on getting use to how particular type of cars feel. Some of the RF2 cars feel pretty good out the box. To understand setup's you need to understand what the car is doing and only then can you know what to change.

This is a simple guide to help setups I have uploaded for you (can't remember were I got it).
https://mega.co.nz/#!dF5yjbzI!aCBSnTb0F5UvxiX_4CPlup5aKolTsR5nbUWrU9vYz1A

Simply put understeer means that the entry to the corner is too fast, oversteer usually occurs when exiting the corner too fast ( too much throttle).

Although there are variations on this, you can oversteer on downshifts, heel and toe can help this or lift off oversteer. Its all about balancing the car.

Some people prefer slow in fast out, some prefer a faster entry and sort it mid corner. Everyone is different.

Last edited:
Jim, I know where you are coming from, I've been learning how to set up a car these last 6months and its a great feeling when the car starts to feel better when your tweaking works.
While I have tried other driver setups they never feel right for my style of driving(what ever that is:O_o:), anyway like Paul stays above I always drive a car without changing anything for about 10laps, will be less when you understand what is not right with the car.
Anyway keep working on it, it will come together eventually, and hers a good little setup guide you can print out, try following the steps :thumbsup:
http://xploresimracing.com/Series/XSR_SetupGuide.pdf

I prefer slow in, fast out kind of style and so does the Mrs. ;)

Sir Jackie Stewart, reckons don't get on the throttle until you can keep on it and that's always been my mantra. I reckon if you concentrate on braking a bit earlier and clipping the apex properly (you will probably be too early at first) then gradually brake a bit later after lapping for a while.

I used to do a bit of karting and it's amazing the different styles you get. Me and my mate used to go a lot. I always liked to brake a bit earlier but get on the power earlier trying to be as smooth as possible with the throttle (Prost style), but my mate was on the brakes later and he would modulate the throttle on/off on/off all the way through the corner (he has watched too much Senna footage in a turbo). But at the end of a lap we would normally be within a tenth of a second of each other.

So there is no hard and fast rule.

0BP7rdQ.jpg

Jim, I know where you are coming from, I've been learning how to set up a car these last 6months and its a great feeling when the car starts to feel better when your tweaking works.
While I have tried other driver setups they never feel right for my style of driving(what ever that is:O_o:), anyway like Paul stays above I always drive a car without changing anything for about 10laps, will be less when you understand what is not right with the car.
Anyway keep working on it, it will come together eventually, and hers a good little setup guide you can print out, try following the steps :thumbsup:
Looks a good guide that Paul.

Cheers guys, a classic example at the Daytona 1.5 race on Friday Turn 1 caused me soo much aggro all night. I was starting to brake before the start finish line just to get the car slowed enough yet other GT class drivers were braking well after the start finish line. That is one of the hardest corners I've come across. If I were to brake where they did I would be off every single time instead of every other time lol

Cheers guys, a classic example at the Daytona 1.5 race on Friday Turn 1 caused me soo much aggro all night. I was starting to brake before the start finish line just to get the car slowed enough yet other GT class drivers were braking well after the start finish line. That is one of the hardest corners I've come across. If I were to brake where they did I would be off every single time instead of every other time lol
Try recording a bit of footage on board Jim if you can and upload it. It would be interesting to see you run a few laps. Might be able to spot something or you may be able to show me how it is done.

If you ran a car with low aero grip like the skip barber's and maybe something with more aero like the FR3.5's and maybe a GT car.

Try recording a bit of footage on board Jim if you can and upload it. It would be interesting to see you run a few laps. Might be able to spot something or you may be able to show me how it is done.

If you ran a car with low aero grip like the skip barber's and maybe something with more aero like the FR3.5's and maybe a GT car.

Good idea mate will do. I'm racing the Clios tonight if it's on so may record some of that as well.

Just had a read and it seems to repeat itself after no 11 when it mentions motec? I tried to install that but had to give it up.

Right, I had a look at the simpit vid on my lunch break and I think the skippy is oversteering so I turn the steering wheel and end up with the front end on the grass normally facing the opposite way. It happens that fast though and I'm supposed to steer opposite lock but don't get chance. I need to slow down more before cornering I think so on a normal car, I would move the brake bias forward and increase the downforce to the rear?

The Skip Barber has lift-off oversteer so you have to be careful with the throttle on corner entry. You really need to spend some time learning how to drive it with smooth inputs.

Yes you're right but as I've said below, over/understeer is my biggest issue. Once I fully understand it and how the car reacts then my racing will improve hopefully. I'm getting better at apexes and racing line but corner entry speed and then underover steer i'm still struggling with. I see the fast guys braking really late and I try to follow but end up mowing the grass lol.

In can explain you your skippy problem this evening in TS ;)

Cheers Simon, I think for me this oversteer/understeer is my biggest issue

The rf2 league race part of my thread could be solved as apparently, it looks like RF2 might have race nights every night so even If I'm on the wrong shift, I should get one or two races a week when I'm working up to 3-5 when I'm not. Happy days.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 71 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 139 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 265 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 380 39.7%