Reviewed: Dave Struve's Clubsport Pedal Upgrade Kit

Friday I had the pleasure of finding a note from the mailman that my upgrade kit had come in (great way to start a weekend imo). Here is what I have to say about it so far:

What am I reviewing?: this

Shipping/What's in the box: USPS was kind and shipped quickly and safely. The damper comes pre-assembled to the brackets and with the red (looser) spring installed. It is easier to swap the spring before installation but I did manage to swap the springs after (had to test both you know). Spare parts include a stiffer blue spring, a spare rubber for the damper as well as a couple different washers for the oil reservoir. If you're in the US you got some extra oil for the damper as well.

Installation: Since I don't have tiny hands (or a tiny-handed helper around) it was a little difficult to get the top bracket assembled. I am only joking though, nothing can be done about it just need to have some patience is all. 20 minutes of fiddling (and looking for a lost washer and nut) I had my CSP's upgraded. I got away with keeping my pedals mounted on my obutto pedal plate; just caused a bit of extra fuss.

Impressions/Feelings: Wow. I had no idea how much I needed this thing. In case you're reading this and don't know what a hydraulic brake damper does I'll explain. First it makes the pedal stiffer and second it makes the pedal more responsive and way easier to modulate due to the back pressure. It wants to return to its uncompressed position more strongly, but not in the way a tighter spring would feel.

In other words it responds more like a real world brake pedal.

Not much else to say beside thanks, Dave!

Thanks for the review :thumbsup: I'm still eagerly waiting for my kit to arrive.

Did you notice much difference between the 2 springs?
The difference is noticeable but I can't describe it too well because I didn't spend enough time driving with the red spring. Just compress each spring in your hand and you'll be able to tell. For me a stiffer brake is always better so it wasn't too difficult to decide what spring I wanted.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the nice review, glad you like it. Since i keep getting requests for the clutch, im going to take a look at that when i get some free time.
I think it's great (I had Anthony's). As glight said above, it allows much better control of the brake by allowing more accurate pressure to be used...it just feels so right.
I'd say the only downside is that it now makes the clutch seem flimsy :D so I'd definitely be up for some kind of clutch add-on :)

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back