Halo is hugly? Yes. Halo makes F1 ridiculous? Yes.
I think that in these dangerous situations is real needed. Something had to be done, this is a beginning.
Ah yes: Williams. What can I say? Frank: what happened? I hope it's competitive.
spa-crash-2012.jpg
29D58A5200000578-0-image-a-44_1434905522523.jpg

Same could be said about grid-girls. But we got rid of one thing and kept the other. :)

I don't see your point. I don't see the comparison. The halo could save lives. Seriously. Save lives. It might have given Jules Bianchi a chance of life if there'd been one on his car that day at Suzuka.

So let's try and keep some sense of proportion shall we?

It's approx 80 kN for an empty bus - quite a lot for a static load, but in F1 which is all about dynamic forces (flying cars, wheels etc), depending on the mass,velocity & deflection -- 80 kN capacity is not very much.

Halo is all well and good until a smaller part like what struck Massa smashes into a drivers face, or like the example of a car coming over the top what if a piece of carbon gets wedged into the big gap in the halo and has nowhere else to go but into the driver?
Whether you think its ugly or not, the fact is it is no where near 100 % safe, at least a screen like indy car is heading towards 100% safe ie it will deflect pretty much everything.

For me, i think its a lot of effort for something that can only deflect wheels (they are tethered anyway) and other cars coming over the top.
Drivers sit so low down these days anyway they could duck down and avoid most stuff anyway.
At least the screen can become part of aero dynamics...

As soon as you put a screen on an F1 car it looks like the future.....the halo looks like something a banger racer would do.

In Motorbike racing the pioneered the rider air bags, leathers that puff up cleverly to cushion riders when they fall off.
Why could something not have been designed around that where something inflates over the driver cell to stop stuff hitting them but only activated when an impact occurs.
I am free wheeling here not given it much thought but surely also a driver button so they can press it so if they are heading into the wall they can press it to inflate a safety cell around them in the cockpit over there head?

Well to make it all super safe and to keep the snow flakes of this world happy. Lets just ban all forms of motorsport. That way no one will get hurt or die in any of them. We have to accept risks as part of our choice.

Thank goodness Motorcycle road racing ignores the Health and Safety mob.

Well to make it all super safe and to keep the snow flakes of this world happy. Lets just ban all forms of motorsport. That way no one will get hurt or die in any of them. We have to accept risks as part of our choice.

Thank goodness Motorcycle road racing ignores the Health and Safety mob.
We? You are a veteran gamer or a veteran real driver? Easy to speak on a playseat.
Motorcycle ignors Health and Safety? Shut up, please.

Or to keep your suggested proportions: halo could save lifes, women give life.

Well, in my opinion, your first attempt at humour was in poor taste and unfunny.

If this second statement is also an attempt at humour, well, don't give up your day job. Unless your day job is as a comedian, in which case, give up your day job.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back