Retrolux Reshade GTR2

Misc Retrolux Reshade GTR2 1.5.0

Login or Register an account to download this content
Graphics bug bit me again and I spent last 2 weeks messing with ReShade. I wanted to let guys you know that Reshade now works with DXVK. All you have to do is to use official ReShade setup, and configure gtr2.exe to be Vulkan, done. Then you can use Retrolux's effects and presets no problem.

Additionally, if you use Crew Chief GTR2 Enhancements Plugin, I created special ReShade AddOn that will automatically disable ReShade in Menus, something that really annoyed me in the past. Lastly, I made ReShade work with GTR2 OpenXR VR (it already works in OpenVR) and now trying to make depth based effects to work in VR. All those improvements require Beta plugin (not yet released with CC app), which you can get at CCGEP Discord server.

Now the only reason not to move to DXVK in GTR2 is if hardware does not support it.

Last edited:
Oh nice, I wanted to try reshades again and this just convinced me
I was actually skeptical of post processing effects, as often they reduce image clarity, but some effects in ReShade really add to GTR2. And since GTR2 is mostly held back by the CPU, many effects won't have any effect on the FPS. One issue though is not all effects work with MSAA enabled, most disappointed I can't use ambient occlusion effect. Still, it is an improvement for sure.

Last edited:
have some good news, turns out ReShade depth based effects work with MSAA in DX9 no problem, at least on Nvidia cards. That means we have huge library of effects available in GTR2 with no restrictions and some are really polished and fast!

More than that - I am working on some ReShade changes and testing my internal fork where depth based effects work with MSAA via DXVK as well! And, based on what I learned, I am pretty sure I will be able to make depth based effects work in VR, and some of them, for example Glamayre_Fast_Effects.fx are fast and pretty sure are usable in VR as well (in terms of performance).

Last edited:
Getting a crash in the Garage/Grid screen. Using the latest Crew Chief. Other than it's a pretty vanilla install. Any tips for investigating the cause?

Solved: Got it working with official reshade.net installer. I'm trying to make it work with CCGE DXVK.

PS. The Overview and README still make it sound like you should extract the ZIP contents into the GTR2 folder but in my experience it doesn't work unless it's in the Plugins folder.

PPS. Tapping Home for the ReShade menu triggers the Driving View shortcut even though my shortcut is "V" for that.

Last edited:
Getting a crash in the Garage/Grid screen. Using the latest Crew Chief. Other than it's a pretty vanilla install. Any tips for investigating the cause?

PS. The Overview and README still make it sound like you should extract the ZIP contents into the GTR2 folder but in my experience it doesn't work unless it's in the Plugins folder.
Are you trying to run ReShade in DX9 or DXVK? Are you trying to use Retrolux's files or official ReShade or my fork? FWIW everything works here.

In case of DX9, Retrolux's Reshade.dll should be in GTR 2\ReShade folder. You can also get latest official reshade, and rename ReShade32.dll to ReShade.dll for CCGEP to load in DX9 mode.

DXVK ReShade works completely different.

Last edited:
Are you trying to run ReShade in DX9 or DXVK? Are you trying to use Retrolux's files or official ReShade or my fork? FWIW everything works here.

DXVK, official ReShade, and I selected Retrolux's preset during the installer process.

DXVK ReShade works completely different.

I finally got it working under DXVK by installing using the official reshade.net installer. I had missed that in the CCGE manual.

Btw when I press Home to access the ReShade menu it triggers the Driving View shortcut even though I've confirmed I always had that set to "V". Do you experience that?

I can see ReShade working, though, that's the good news.

Last edited:
DXVK, official ReShade, and I selected Retrolux's preset during the installer process.

I finally got it working under DXVK by installing using the official reshade.net installer. I had missed that in the CCGE manual.

Btw when I press Home to access the ReShade menu it triggers the Driving View shortcut even though I've confirmed I always had that set to "V". Do you experience that?

I can see ReShade working, though, that's the good news.
Good progress! You can change key to anything you want in ReShade settings.

Once you get ReShade running, then you simply DL Retrolux's package and copy effects, textures, presets. Also, in case you missed it, here's my preset and special addon to disable effects in UI:

https://thecrewchief.org/downloads/gtr2/ccgep_reshade_tools_latest.zip I include my preset, someone told me it is very good. For non-VR, you may want to turn off sharpening (last effect in chain).

You need latest CCGEP Beta for this to work.

Remember, if you want depth effects turn off MSAA in dxvk.conf, but soon I'll post update that will make depth work with MSAA and maaan it is awesome.

Last edited:
Ok, so MSAA depth for Vulkan/DXVK got merged into official ReShade, and I am guessing version 6.0 will have it for everyone to enjoy.

Specifically for GTR2, I also made depth based effects work in DXVK VR. I will soon post my fork at CCGEP Discord, and that will also include the MSAA work.

DLAA.fx is failing to compile on the latest ReShade with Iron Wolf's latest release.

I don't know if it's the right thing to do but I downloaded the latest DLAA.fx from github and it seems to have worked.

I see it in the list, no errors, and I got this in the log:

Successfully compiled "C:\Games\GTR2CCGE\reshade-shaders\Shaders\DLAA.fx" in 0.003 s.

PS. PPFX SSDO is the first Ambient Occlusion effect I can see visually. Nice!

PS2. DLAA is a really nice additional AA and it can stabilize the image in some cases of shimmering lines.

PS3. CinematicDOF with TrackIR is wild

Last edited:
I'm noticing some artifacting in the cockpit. I must have have just been looking outside the car the last comment I made because that still looks fine. Have I set it up wrong?
1697772185881.png

Last edited:
In VR or on monitor? I'm using Reshade no problem with DXVK on both but I did have a few issues initially with the DXVK and reshade (stutters and twinkly stars, yes twinkly stars) but that was down to me mixing and matching different DXVK versions with different crewchief plugins. I guess that's not your problem as you know your stuff with regards to this but worth mentioning just-case...

Last edited:
I'm noticing some artifacting in the cockpit. I must have have just looking outside the car the last comment I made because that still looks fine. Have I set it up wrong?
View attachment 701918
I think that is an issue with that AO shader that was introduces with later reshade versions. I might replace it with a alternative version or try o fix the issue to work properly with the new reshade.

@Retrolux, did you change PPFX_SSDO from the official one? I managed to find a way to increase headroom in my config and now looking for a full quality AO. PPFX_SSDO does not work well at night, huge artifacts. Marty's qUINT MXAO is very heavy. Going to try GloomyAO next. Funny thing is that fast AO from Glamarye is still in the lead :)

I just changed the pixel image for the diffussion if i remember correctly and possibly minor things to make it work with SGSSAA. But Glaymare AO might be the way to go. But whats good about PPDX is that it also fakes a bit of global illumunation at the same time (color bleed)

Last edited:
Just as I expected, it was just a matter of finding the right effect. While Glaymare is nice, AO part in it is a bit unstable in it. I found cheap effect that looks great almost without any drawbacks I can see - MartyMods_MXAO.fx. It is fast enough to be used in VR. And, thanks for bringing AmbientLight.fx to my attention with your preset - that one is fast enough for VR too. Last time I had confusing results with it, but I was able to get better image by reducing the intensity ;)

Last edited:
What incredible screenies!!!! Too bad mods like that aren't a bit broadly available, even for members with full access over at EEC....

What incredible screenies!!!! Too bad mods like that aren't a bit broadly available, even for members with full access over at EEC....
Just to be clear, yes, I can't share the cars, but everything else is publically available, and those cars are not actually the best looking, there are better looking ones available. Well, RTGI shader is paid, but the rest is available, today, all ReShade effects work in both VR and 2D, so I wouldn't call this "private stuff" really. FWIW the only changes on those cars is SSTR/SRPL shaders, and they use CCGEP Enhanced Motecs, and anyone can do those modificiations.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 360 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 254 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 180 7.9%
  • < 5 years