Retrolux Reshade GTR2

Misc Retrolux Reshade GTR2 1.5.0

Login or Register an account to download this content
Retrolux submitted a new resource:

Retrolux Reshade GTR2 - Reshade preset for natural light, colors, depth feeling. (SGSSAA Supported!)

View attachment 472348View attachment 472349
View attachment 472350
View attachment 472351
View attachment 472352
View attachment 472353
View attachment 472354

This Reshade preset for GTR2 tries to give the simulation a more natural look in terms
of light, colors, depth without changing the essence of the original work of the developers/modder intentions.
It tries to be subtle but effective with...

Read more about this resource...

i like your work. Can u also do one for ACC vr? Reshade is working, but it would be nice if some optimization could be made for acc Vr?

Last edited:
If you use the suggested settings from @Andrew_WOT (Settings Link ) that uses the ingame sharpening. It already looks good in ACC in terms of clarity vs performance. Sure with reshade to look can be improved but the peformance impact might not be that ideal in a game that is already very peformance hungry. I might still look into this later.

Thx for the info. I know about the ingame possiblity and reshade sharpening is just way more advanced and gives very good image quality. But yeah performance got a slight hit but still way worth it. In Skyrim vr it did cost less performance, so that’s why I hoped there would be mby some room left.

Good question. Can you send me the reshade.log that is in the plugin folder?
When reshade works it you see a info box on the top left of the screen when the game starts up for a short time.
There might be one step missing or something messed up in the version uploaded here. Let me check it later.

Hello Retrolux,

I installed it yesterday late.
I quickly tested it and I had a problem ... which I only can momentarily solve by an easy but strange trick in fact.

For your info, I followed all your instructions in the Readme ... and installed also the "Forced Bordeless Windowed Mode" .... as I'm still using for now Simhud Dash on the same screen due to the fact that I have a difficulty to place an extra little screen ( even as a smartphone :D ).
I'm also using Crew Chief.

For an unknown reason, on a single 21/9 29" ( office work one ... while the same also happens on the 34" 21/9 inverted one for the rig )..... immediately GTR2 launches perfectly but remains a .... dark screen.
I immediately found that clicking Ctrl-End allowed the game to be seen ( but no Reshade effect of course )
The only trick which works is ........... choose VR preset :confused: :whistling:

For the little time I test, the result seems very very fine ... just the way I like it.
These are subtle effects ( easily seen when toggling Reshade on and off with the Ctrl-end command ): mostly a bit sharpening of details ( trees and fences for example ) and a subtle inforcement of contrast making white and black details much better rendered.

I had a look at the FPS .... with VR preset ... it should cost +- 30FPS in the sun and +- 20 FPS in the rain. ( Full options with Crew Chief and Simhub dash on and HQ tracks and cars .... this means +- always above the 100 Fps on a I7 9700k CPU and MSI RTX 2070 Super Trio GPU ....except at race starts with a full grid with rain. ).

Should you have a solution to use the normal GTR2 preset and not the VR one ? ...
This can do the trick but strange though ... and maybe I might loose Reshade quality using this wrong preset ?? .... should the cause be the choice of RRE GTR2 exe in order to use CC ?

Thanks for this very nice work indeed.... subtle but effective. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Usually the regular preset should work. Looks like some effect causes the black screen. I need to test the preset again on a vanilla GTR version to see if prepared it correcty for the release. Did not have time today but will look at it on the next days.

In my case, that's a Steam GTR2 version as HQ Anniversary Patch and Crew Chief needs it ... and moreover it's not the NOCD GTR2.exe but the other possibility being the Raceroom GTR2.exe ( this one is needed for Crew Chief .

Maybe if it doesn't work that way, we'll make a sign to @GTR233 as he maybe knows the reason.

Meanwhile, thanks for your answer. ;)

Last edited:
I tested the preset on a vanilla installation with the nocd & steam version and both work including crewchief. Could not yet reproduce the issue you have encountered @Jempy

Can you test to disable one reshade effect one by one until you see the game screen again? I bet it might be an issue of the Ambient occlusion shader.

I tried this but wasn't sure I could tell if it was running. I tried CTRL-END to enable/disable but didn't see any changes. I dropped wininet.dll and \plugins\ folder in the same folder as my GTR2.EXE.

Btw README_&_HOWTO_Retrolux_GTR2_Reshade.txt says the folder name is Plugin not Plugin(s). Which one is it?

Also readme references "wndmode.ini" but that's not in the zip?

What is this keyboard shortcut? --> CTRL+POS1/HOME what is POS1?

I'm running on a mostly vanilla steam copy + 4gb patch + nocd I can't remember all the HQ Anniversary Patch stuff to the exe.

Last edited:
Even if it is only working with the VR preset ( while I only have monitors :D ) I know it's working but in fact with HQ tracks and cars ... the difference is not so easy to see: just a bit more sharpening ( trees, grills.... for example seem less blurry... ) and a different luminosity.

Where it's easier to see: in the black of all menus for example using ctrl-end.

For the "wndmode.ini" .... simply create an empty "wndmode.txt" and replace afterwards the extension .txt by .ini and it will work.
That's what I did and that works. After a first use, this .ini file isn't empty any longer. ;)

The folder is Plugins ( as usual for GTR2 ) so I used Plugins of course.

NB CTRL-Home is working ... I also didn't understand the POS1 so I tried the Home as I felt it was the right one. ;)

@Retrolux
You were right for the issue ... the Ambient occlusion shader is the problem .... just unchecking this first option in the Reshade menu made the screen visible again.

@Shovas Thanks for the hint about the plugin(s). Corrected description on racedepartment and in the next version readme.txt. To install the preset you need to extract the archive into the root folder of GTR2 with the folder structure in the zip. No need to copy dll seperatly to the plugins folder etc.

@Jempy Thanks for checking out again. Now I need to find out why it is acting strange on your end. Sees that the depth buffer is empty or the shader itself causes an issue. The VR preset is not ideal for monitors as the sharpness shader is not configured for it. Until I prepared a new version you can use the normal preset just without the ambient occlusion.

Just something very important for people having different GTR2 installs, especially if some are not Steam version but CD versions.

I had 2 on another drive ( and heavy ones ) and both were not working .... just a full black screen with the special GTR2 red mouse pointer.
At 1st I thought this was a problem happening due to a latest Win10 update ( as I had one done this weekend ) ... but I first wondered why and I finally remembered I installed this Reshade .... but the question was of course .... why has it an influence on other installs on another drive ?

This question was the right one .... the common point was single: Nvidia Inspector and Antialiasing Compability Bit: 0x004412C1 (Diablo III).
Modifying this line with the previous setting ... solved the problem.

So good to know for those who should encounter the same kind of problem.

NB: no need to delete mods or recreate a full new install .... as modifying one line in a file takes much much less time ! :roflmao:

Do you play GTR2 in windowed mode or in fullscreen. What compability bit are you using and having the AA modes working? Can you share your GTR2 configuration + a screenshoot from your GTR2 nvidia profile? You can try to use the type in the compability bit 0x00400000 as alternative and check if it works for you without the black screen and AA modes working.

Older CD installs are used mostly fullscreen as I use ENB Series + XD + Map plugin and they don't allow alt-tab.
The reason why I use nowadays Steam Version when modding or skinning as Alt-Tab is easier supported when modifying some little details for immediate tests in game ( else of course I'm mostly using 3dSimed for painting or placing details during paint work ).

I drive GTR2 from time to time ( mostly busy driving AC or ACC online ) and in this case I prefer better quality graphics and in this case using of course HQ Anniversary Patch, Crew Chief I rarely can miss as I'm used to it for years and now Simhub.
The reason why I use mostly Steam Versions, lighter modded on a SSD and in windowed mode.

GTR2 full options, 4GB Patch, Process Manager and a rather good PC ( +- 1 year and a half old )
  • CM MSI Z390 Tomahawk - I7 9700k - RAM 16Gb - GPU MSI RTX2070 Super X Trio - Windows10 Pro - Ecran Samsung 34" 21/9 Curved - T300RS - Fanatec CSP V3 Inverted - TH8 - TrackIR5
I'll try your alternative suggestion and will try without Windowed Mode but I guess that's not the problem as the other installs without reshade are working in fullscreen mode @Retrolux

@Jempy Yes the reason for the black screen was the compability bit. It messed with the depth buffer and sometimes it did not work and sometimes it did. I updated the instructions to set the right bit 0x00400000 instead of the diablo3 one. That should fix your black screen issue.

Retrolux updated Retrolux Reshade GTR2 with a new update entry:

Updated Preset to 1.1.0 (VR peformance improvements)

• Added new VR Toolkit shader that is specialized to be used for VR. It combines shaders to be processed into a single pass to improve performance. Different Sharpening and color corrections can be selected.
  • Changed the VR preset to use the new VRToolkit shader.
  • Updated LUT.fx shader with slight peformance improvements
  • Changed Recommendation for the compability bit back to 0x00400000 as the diablo 3 one caused depth buffer issues.
  • Updated Reshade with latest changes from...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back