Retail name of this USB cable

Hi guys,

I have a scanner but the USB cable is too short. It looks like this one:

cable_picture.jpg

I tried to extend it with a USB extension cable which worked good on a computer mouse, however the scanner does not get recognized when using the extension cable.

How are those USB type C cables called pictured above? When I google for it I find only regular once - like for charging a phone, but those don't work. Or is it possible that this scanner's cable is something proprietary?

Last edited:
Or is it possible that this scanner's cable is something proprietary?
Possible but not hugely likely.
The picture doesn't really show the connectors. If it's a USB 3 cable then your extension cable may only be USB 2. It kinda looks like standard micro USB (aka "micro b" or "micro b USB 2"...) but it's impossible to be certain without seeing the business end of the plug (it could indeed be USB-C). An end-on picture would do it.

OK, cool.
And gosh, some weirdly conflicting information from Canon.
They call it a "USB 2.0 Type-C™ Cable" on the product page, but elsewhere on their site I found the following contradictory info:
"The scanner is designed to produce optimal results when connected to a USB 3.0 or higher port with the supplied USB cable. Connect the USB cable supplied with the scanner to a USB 3.0 or higher port. The supplied USB cable is for the scanner only. It cannot be used for other devices." (the last sentence in particular is quite shocking, but a kind reviewer on the 'net has denounced that as total nonsense, as you'd hope; the cable does in fact work with other devices).

So... based on the fact that your extension cable didn't work, I'd say maybe it really does only work on USB 3 ports (surprising as that is). So, the simplest fix should be to just buy a longer USB 3 cable with type A and C male connectors on the ends.
(Those black cylindrical objects near the plugs are "ferrite" and are there to reduce electromagnetic interference [edit: and the presence or absence of them isn't very meaningful].)

Last edited:
A generic USB 3 extension cable is not enough? Am i missing something? Of course you gotta use a USB3 one if its USB3

If you have one (edit: you said in first post you did) and its not working, its probably a cheapo one that doesnt have all the wires needed, and is infact only a usb2 one (working mouse would confirm), you got scammed then. "They" (companies) do that all the time with USB3-port-extenders. Or extension is too long.

You have some 'newer' external hdd with USB3 to test? Or a Multimeter to check through the mini-USB3-contacts of the USB3 extension?
1630364198678.png

Last edited:
@Neilski @Please Stop This Thanks for your inputs. I tried it now with my smartphone charging cable and that worked well. I always thought these cylinders had some kind of microchip in them to do something meaningful for the scanner, code, decode, etc. Aparently not :D

My extension cable is quite old it's probably usb 2.0, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were USB 1.1 - it works though with a mouse for years. Also one side info, I have the scanner plugged in a usb 2.0 port of my PC, because I don't have any USB 3.0 ports in my PC (PC is also quite old, but works good).

Like you guys said, I will buy a longer, regular USB A to Type-C cables with USB 3.0 and that should be fine. Thanks guys for helping. :)

You can get really cheap wireless printer \ scanner

When you go to 2 metre quality cable they cost $25AU here and the Canon pixma I brought was $50

edit:
Also gives you the ability to put it anywhere in house you wish ;)

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back