Researching 2 DOF Motion Setup ... Are You Happy With Yours?

As I've added to my current hardware setup, I keep wanting more. I have a Fanatec 2.5 WB, CS Pedals 3.0, CS Shifter 1.5, Fanatec handbrake, Buttkicker (under seat), upgraded vibration motors for gas (wheel slip) and brake (wheel lock). Added seatbelt for tightness and more immersion.

I primarily play AC in VR only (Valve Index, 120hz/fps). I absolutely love it. Looking for one upgrade ... seat movement. I see there's 2 DOF all the way to 6 DOF available. 2 DOF looks to be my sweet spot. I want the seat to move forward under hard braking, move backwards under hard acceleration and sway left/right under hard turning. Perhaps some movement from hard bumps/rumble strips. I don't want extreme movements, only maybe 3-4 inches max in any direction. I've read that for VR, the less movement, the better. I want to retrofit the mover into my current rig (so only the seat moves. The rig is static). I tested my body movement in VR hypothetically and this should work fine). I intend to use bungees connecting the metal rig to the seatbelts (Ive seen numerous examples of this online and supposedly add to immersion).

I'm looking at the DOF Reality MP2 or H2 (with dampeners). Look like great bargains for the price.

At this point, I don't want 3 DOF or higher. I'd be happy with 2 DOF.

Do you race on a 2 DOF system in VR? Are you happy? What's your setup so I can get ideas.

I cant be sure why people are not replying but I can say that a lot of people on the forum have moved from 2dof to 3dof with a clear preference to 3dof which you are not interested in.

Personally I find it hard to recommend 2dof over 3dof so would also not reply other than you said no one is replying :) So I thought I might give a possible rationale. I really didnt like VR in 2dof either, too much movement in VR that is not there in a 3dof setup for my taste.

Upvote 0
Thank you. Yes, I see 3DOF but want to race in VR and only want subtle movement to give just enough immersion (less is more with VR movement apparently). I tested moving my own body around in my seat ... maybe about 5-6 inch shoulder movement in all directions and it doesn't feel bad. I'd also bungee a seatbelt setup to the stationary part of the rig to add tightness from braking and acceleration (there's a few videos on this).

This is why I'm looking for impressions on either the MP2 (better motors than M2) or H2, with dampers. I want only my seat to move, not the rig. Great price point for me without over spending.

Upvote 0
I have a 2DOF system and I have looked into all commercially available options. I though the DOF Reality systems looked too cheap and was not convinced with the user experiences and reviews. NLR V3 is a top contender, but then I found the NJmotion Compact, which is clearly aimed at competing with the NLR but at a slightly cheaper price. The support and communication from NJmotion was fantastic and they made me special brackets to fit the unit. I've been very happy with it and it's a solid piece of kit.

Now, if I were to do this again would I got for a 3DOF or this one? I have limited space, and I feel that for VR the seat mover offers a fantastic addition. I still have to say I miss the pronounced heave effect you get with 3DOF. If I at some point get more space, I might go full out for 4DOF + TL, but that's another story.

Here you can see how nicely it fits under my seat:

3cToraq.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you. Yes, I see 3DOF but want to race in VR and only want subtle movement to give just enough immersion (less is more with VR movement apparently). I tested moving my own body around in my seat ... maybe about 5-6 inch shoulder movement in all directions and it doesn't feel bad. I'd also bungee a seatbelt setup to the stationary part of the rig to add tightness from braking and acceleration (there's a few videos on this).

This is why I'm looking for impressions on either the MP2 (better motors than M2) or H2, with dampers. I want only my seat to move, not the rig. Great price point for me without over spending.

If this is your reason for 2dof over 3dof then I can tell you the subtle movement of a 3dof system is much nicer and refined in VR than a 2dof system. If there are other reasons for 2dof you have not mentioned then OK.

In VR, running down the straights with the subtle heave from the suspension etc is something you cannot get from 2dof which IMHO is more like you are in a milkshake when it relies on manhandling you around in the chair for it's effects. Not to mention the pronounced in car movements it can have as you are moving around.

So - if you just want the best VR experience, I dont know anyone that has preferred 2dof over 3dof. By 3dof I am always referring to a platform mover with heave, not 2dof with TL

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I moved from 3dof to 2dof. I just didn't get on with traction loss, it didn't add anything for me personally. I should add that it was a few years ago.
Anyway, I run my profiles pretty subtle and it's a joy with and without VR. I also run bass shakers which help 'fill in the gaps' so to speak.
I have an NJMotion rig, highly recommended systems, amazing customer service and the great SimTools software.

Upvote 0
I have the NLR motion platform v3 and really like it together with a DD wheel in VR. I use it exactly as you write, not too strong movement, still good enough to give great immersion in VR. Since the movements are small, the changing distance to wheel and pedals is hardly an issue. I chose this platform because it is a small and easy solution.

Upvote 0
I’m using VR (Vive Pro) and The simexperience DOF2 and love it. Weird at first, but you soon get use to it, so much so, I find it difficult to drive without it switched on. I, like I imagine most people, turned things up to the max, but you soon learn that less is best. Bought mine second hand (£850) and fitted it directly to my aluminium rig. It’s a little noisy, but only to those listening in as I don’t hear a thing once my headsets on. I also converted part of my garage into a sim room as there was no way the wife would let me use it in the spare bedroom. Noise was certainly an issue from the vibrations of both the direct drive wheel and seat mover.

Upvote 0
Chrhun, do you have side pics of your setup?

General question ... for those with the 3DOF and your whole rig moves altogether, do you do a VR motion cancelling? I saw it's possible with the Vive, using a sseparate sensor. How does it work for you? Otherwise moving all around in the car in VR while the VR car does not move with you must be disorienting?

Upvote 0
Personally I don't notice any movement in VR on my dbox style system (4 actuators up to 100mm movement).

A dbox style system doesnt need to move a lot to generate considerable energy for road bumps etc. I think you will find your head moves less in a doox style system than on a seat mover and the effects conveyed to you by having heave are really good. a 2dof system has to convey all those effects by pitch and roll so for me, they are a bit artificial.

I agree with those above who say they love their seat movers, I am not saying they are bad. I am sure that in VR you would be happy with it just dont rule out a dbox style system if you are only ruling it out because you think it's worse for VR. I cant think of one of the many people I know who moved away from their seat mover to platform mover who dont think its a better experience and one that can deliver more feeling with _less_ movement.

Upvote 0
As I do more research .... I was contemplating just spending the extra money on a NLR V3 platform. Regarless of what I do, I have to get a new rig because my current one (a Trak Racer) has the seat position just right as it is now and adding 6+ inches of height would make it too high for the rest of the rig setup. I also want to do Boosted Media's cheap seat belt tension mod, for braking.

But ... for that price, I *could* get the DOF reality P3, which has numerous good reviews and has the whole chassis included (I'd need the extra wheel stand brace).

Looking at the Youtube videos ... that's a LOT of motion in VR where I'd be moving all around in the car with the car stationary. THe video I watched has the Oculus sensor mounted to the wheel mount, so it moves with the driver and hence, is VR cancelling with the motion.

How would I do VR motion cancelling with my Valve Index?

I'd also like to know how good Assetto Corsa would be for 3 DOF, since that's all I play. Finally dialed in my settings for AC CSP to get constant 120fps at 150% SS .... REALLY liking it.

Upvote 0
AC is great in VR. For the index you can use a controller or one of those extra pucks you can buy and attach it to your seat or somewhere and there is software that works with steam vr to cancel the motion.

I don't think you will need it though. On mine, a sfx100 you really have to crank up the movement to even notice in cockpit movement and I noticed it in the cv1 with its sensor.

Strangely, when I went to a rift S with inside out tracking I didnt have any issues so I put it down to inside out being better for motion.

Then I got an index and also didnt notice any issues so had to, for whatever reason, put it down to the cv1 tracking. Really, all I notice in min is the headshake that naturally comes from the motion and in a 2dof the surge etc was something that was always there. dbox style can really deliver a lot of motion feeling but its not moving you around as much as 2dof where you head - whats being tracked - is essentially on the end of a swinging pendulum which makes it more noticable in VR.

Upvote 0
Hmmm interesting. I'd think with 3DOF I'd be swinging (not just pivoting) left to right, whcih would put me in out of the car or in the passenger seat at the extremes in VR. So maybe it's not the case ... I've never tried motion before and maybe just thinking about it too in depth vs reality. Great analogy about the head basically being like a pendulum in 2DOF.

My thought was as follows (2D gaming analogy, not 3D VR): Without motion cancelling is the equivelant of a TV/Monitor being stationary and NOT on the moving 3DOF rig. With motion cancelling would be like the TV/Monitor being attached to the motion rig so they move right along with you.

I have the Steam VR controllers. Which software specifically works with Steam VR to cancel motion?

Upvote 0
Hmmm interesting. I'd think with 3DOF I'd be swinging (not just pivoting) left to right, whcih would put me in out of the car or in the passenger seat at the extremes in VR. So maybe it's not the case ... I've never tried motion before and maybe just thinking about it too in depth vs reality. Great analogy about the head basically being like a pendulum in 2DOF.

My thought was as follows (2D gaming analogy, not 3D VR): Without motion cancelling is the equivelant of a TV/Monitor being stationary and NOT on the moving 3DOF rig. With motion cancelling would be like the TV/Monitor being attached to the motion rig so they move right along with you.

I have the Steam VR controllers. Which software specifically works with Steam VR to cancel motion?

2 or 3 DOF, I think you will discover - at least I did - that you don't need large movements for the immersive effect. I set my NLR to about 20-30% in most sims which means rather small movements, and that's really enough. I tried VR motion cancelling but it is not necessary, it felt better without.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back