Request for help info on getting a new PC (UK)

Well I have 3.5 TBs right now and not much free space!!! Looking to get RDR2 and BL3 in sales which I expect each need 100gb just for 4k textures no doubt!! I also hate uninstalling games as I have no idea what games I want to play and I like almost all genres of gaming (apart from platformers)....one day it's trucking, another it's space ship shootery, another I'm racing a GT3 car round Spa or a bike on the Isle of Man, or I could want a COD fix, or some RTS action, or I could fire up Diablo 3 or Skyrim again!!!! I never know from week to week I'm even thinking of putting my current main game HDD (2 tb) to take it all up to 7!! Plus my 2 back up drives of 4 tb....I think I'm a hoarder of PC data!!

food for thought on memory and GPU, will cogitate on it some more (although I only have till tomorrow for the cheaper one on sale).

That sale system tempting, but Ive built this with suggestions here and elsewhere:

• 1xCorsair Obsidian 750D
  • 1xASUS ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING
  • 1xAMD Ryzen 7 3700X, Zen 2, 8-core with SMT, 3.6GHz, 4.4GHz Turbo
  • 1xCorsair Hydro H100i PRO RGB - 240mm Liquid Cooler
  • 1x16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Dominator Platinum RGB - 3600MHz
  • 1x8GB AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 50th Anniversary, 1605MHz GPU, 2560 Streams, 14000MHz GDDR6 - Radeon VR Ready
  • 1xCorsair RM650x, Modular, Silent, 80PLUS Gold - Single GPU
  • 1x1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS, 3500MB/s Read, 3300MB/s Write, 600K IOPS
  • 1x2TB Seagate ST2000DM008 BarraCuda, 7200rpm, 64MB Cache
8 or so quid more than the other. Better cooling, less mem but faster and AMD GPU.

I know that the case is a more of a personal taste thing, but you could spend less on that (and use a NZXT H500i for example) and specially on the MB, and use that money in a better GPU (specially one with better cooling if you stay with the 5700XT).
Relatively to the MB, the Asus X570 TUF (only the X570 model, the X470 is garbage) is the best bang for the buck (or even the B450 Tomahawk Max), unless you need the extra features or the bling that the STRIX brings.
Just with those 2 changes you can save more than 150£.

Build your own.
These are the specs for my new build and it has so far added up to some A$10,000+, not including the Monitor and other existing peripherals. Annoyingly it is held up awaiting three additional drive trays.....just A$36:00 from completion!!! :mad:
It is rather more than I really need but better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. That aside, building your own allows you a choice of components that can be upgraded if need in the future.
And it is very satisfying!!

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Galaxy Silver ATX Case Tempered Glass
ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega Motherboard
Intel Core i9 9960X
Corsair CMT128GX4M8X3600C18 Dominator Platinum RGB 128GB 3600MHz DDR
ASUS Turbo GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 11GB x 2 in SLI
Corsair RM1000i 1000W Power Supply, White, OEM Packaging
Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum SE White
Samsung 860 EVO 2TB M.2 (SATA) SSD x 1
Samsung 860 PRO 2TB SSD x 4
Pioneer BDRXS07TUHD Black Slot Loading External BluRay Writer

A Footnote: I use my PC more for Photography than anything else and that needs a lot of grunt!

well I ordered the PC but with a 1660 super as I only have a 1080p monitor at the mo so anything more than that GPU wise is overkill short term and brought things closer to my original budget with that change. Will see how thing develop in the VR/GPU market and upgrade in a year or so depending on what happens. GPU's being one of the easier upgrades.

So what's the basic changes I need to do to get win 10 optimal for gaming? ;)

Why (assuming you’re not just trying to be funny)? Games generally run better on my Win 10 system after I upgraded from Win 7.
The previous version of windows is always the best version of windows. I can't remember any version of windows where people didn't say the last one was better. There was one, was it windows XP that was universally hated?

The previous version of windows is always the best version of windows. I can't remember any version of windows where people didn't say the last one was better

That's usually because they're afraid of trying something new. There are many (many) people, including me, who think Windows 10 is the best version. Most people who think Windows 7 is best usually either haven't even tried Windows 10 or haven't tried it for long enough to become familiar with it.

The previous version of windows is always the best version of windows. I can't remember any version of windows where people didn't say the last one was better. There was one, was it windows XP that was universally hated?
Nope because the previous was windows 8 and even MS ditched that POS! Looking on the net I see far more moaning about win 10 issues then there are for win 7 and how long has Win 7 been in circulation compared to Win 10?

Looking on the net I see far more moaning about win 10 issues then there are for win 7 and how long has Win 7 been in circulation compared to Win 10?

But that’s probably because Win 7 has had so much more time to mature than Win 10 has. From a personal perspective, I had plenty of issues with Win 7 over the years whilst, so far, I’ve had no problems at all with Win 10 - installed shortly after it was released and kept fully up to date (apart from drivers, which I update manually when needed).

And I installed Win7 from about day one(2009) and have had zero issues with with it - eventhough I still use the orig install.;)
But such "anecdotal evidence" has absolutely no value since there could have been 10 others who also had installed Win7 - but have experienced a lot of different issues with their puter while Win7 was the boss.

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: When I say I have had zero issues with Win7 I also mean that I have never had some goofy forced update where I had to roll back to get the system to work.:sneaky:

But that’s probably because Win 7 has had so much more time to mature than Win 10 has. From a personal perspective, I had plenty of issues with Win 7 over the years whilst, so far, I’ve had no problems at all with Win 10 - installed shortly after it was released and kept fully up to date (apart from drivers, which I update manually when needed).

win 7 for me has been flawless, no major issues at all. Then again New PC is being (finally) despatched soon and then I'll get my teeth into Win 10 and see what the fuss is about! :) Hopefully my experience will be the same as yours.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 245 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 242 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 301 13.3%