F1 2010 Reputation System

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
Does anyone have any details on the reputation system?

Apologies if this has been previously posted but I have googled it and also done a quick search on here and found nothing

Do you get more points for good performances in practice etc?

Pardon my ignorance, I'm a newbie to this, but what are you trying to achieve...or prove, by driving cars without assists, assuming that those assists (traction control for instance) were actually fitted to the 'real' cars ? :confused:

Pardon my ignorance, I'm a newbie to this, but what are you trying to achieve...or prove, by driving cars without assists, assuming that those assists (traction control for instance) were actually fitted to the 'real' cars ? :confused:

Graham, the assists are all things the cars definitely do not have in real life. One assist brakes for you automatically. One changes your gears. Traction control has not been permitted for some years now. The assists make it very much easier to stay on the road. They're terrific for learners, but not so popular for the slightly more experienced. Needless to say it's harder to complete a race without assists.

I am just starting out with no assists and this is because i want to take part in league races, up on till last night i had been working on a setup and practising without any assists on (apart from automatic gears) and my best time was well off the pase. In fact i couldn't even put a lap in faster than the slowest AI driver and that was on easy. Now i can set better laps than them and thats just 3 day's of practising and last night was the first time i raced against people with no assists on and although i was off the pase of them i did feel much better for it. Some obvious mistakes but that is part of learning, as i get more confidient and experienced without the use of assists i will set better laps and be more competative but that could take many months before i get to that stage.

I would recomend trying it, set the game to be long weekends so you get 3 practise sessions and start working on a setup (most setups you use with assists on will be hard to get use to at first). Focus on getting as much grip as you can into your setup at first so you can at least drive around the track with less effert and then as you get more confident start improving the setup little by little for better performance so you can lap faster and compete against the AI. As i was told setting the AI to legend will help you know what kind of times you need to be aiming for so that you can compete against people online. Its hard to adapt to but the longer you leave it the harder it is, i wish i had not stuck assists on because i would have been so much more experienced now and been able to have setups ready for each track rather than having to learn the track and setup the car at the same time.

You will feel much more happier finishing a race in last place after racing without assists than winning one with assists on, you will feel like you have achieved something good and why not. Real F1 driver's don't have assists, traction control was banned and drivers had to adapt to setting fast times without it, this must have been hard for drivers who had realied on it for all those years. Perhaps a good track to get use to first will be one like Monza, Spar some where that has few slow corners or (if like me) you want to learn throttle control Monaco, Bahrain, Vanelcia etc will help there. How you go about learning is up to you but the real challange will be the wet which is why learning throttle control is very important in the dry although learning in the wet will be a much better way to master it.

Thanks for the constructive and helpful replies guys.

I currently use Shift1 and Shift2 on the Xbox, with the matching Xbox wireless wheel (also race online).

I never use the brake assist nonsense, always use manual gears, and can manage without traction control too, but if I turn off 'stability control' the steering just becomes totally hopeless. So yes, I use stability control I'm not sure if this problem can be dialled out by using the wheel settings.:confused:

Certainly I'd rather be driving a car that was set up to be as 'realistic' as possible, and I do put quite a lot of effort into getting the tuning right.

The first thing I did when I installed the game was turn off all assists, which meant I spent the first few hours spinning out on every corner. But it was ultimately worthwhile because I was forced to work it out. It eventually clicked for me when I realized this was a rear wheel drive car, and therefore engine force is *always* along the axis of the car no matter how the front wheels are turned. At that point I stopped hitting the throttle too early on corners and life was good. I also learned the meaning of the word understeer.

I suggest learning unassisted control using time trial mode, because that gives you optimum grip, hence is most forgiving, on a relatively simple circuit; Montreal or Bahrain, Istanbul or Hockenheim are all reasonable choices. Start really slowly, all assists off, and if you get round the track without coming off then that's a victory, even if it takes you five minutes. Then on the next lap, go a little bit faster. Get a tiny improvement on each lap, and it won't be long before you've got some respectable times.

I confess I disagree with the idea of going straight to AI legend mode. It's just very depressing, and in any case the AI is grossly unrealistic. Racing against ghosts from time trial will give you a better feel for how a real driver would tackle it. Pick a ghost that did its time with no assists (the tyre track symbol to the right of the name will be turned off), pick the same car as you're driving, and pick one faster than you, but not so fast that it gets away and you can't see what it's doing.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 380 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 258 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 248 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 305 13.0%