Replay system

New to rFactor2, coming from AC and wanted to try rF2 since I have so much free time right now under quarantine. Not far enough into it yet to decide if I like it, but one thing I noticed right away was it lacks any kind of functional replay system unless I'm missing something obvious. From my digging around the game, I only see a max replay time of 180 seconds and no system for switching to different track cameras when watching a replay.

Is this how the system works? How can you watch a race replay if you can only record 3 minutes worth of time? Or am I missing something that's staring me right in the face and I don't see it (which is highly likely since i'm not that bright)?

Thanks...

EDIT: Figured out how to switch cameras, but still wondering about replay length for watching a full race replay.

Also while I'm at it, I might as well ask a few other questions. If I turn off all driver aids in the options (ABS, TC, Stability control, etc.), are they still active if the car i'm driving has them as part of their setup? Secondly, how do you put the car in reverse? Downshifting only lets me go as far as first gear. And finally, are there any graphical options that are known to be frame rate killers that I should turn off or lower so I don't have to waste time testing out each one's effect on performance? I only have a GTX 1660 so I know i'm limited in how high I can set things.

Really loving how the cars feel so far. I can see me having fun with this game.

Last edited:
Sounds like you're only using the quick instant replay rather than the recorded replays which are hidden away in Options. Click on Options and then you'll find a tab for replays.

Driver aids are different from car aids.

Several ways to go into reverse with paddle shifters. Assign a key/button for reverse gear, use both paddles simultaneously, or edit the player.json to allow downshifting into reverse gear.

Best fps comes from not using Post Effects higher than Medium. Then you can play with shadows, reflections, number of opponents, and opponent details.
1587934909587.png

Sounds like you're only using the quick instant replay rather than the recorded replays which are hidden away in Options. Click on Options and then you'll find a tab for replays.

Driver aids are different from car aids.

Several ways to go into reverse with paddle shifters. Assign a key/button for reverse gear, use both paddles simultaneously, or edit the player.json to allow downshifting into reverse gear.

Best fps comes from not using Post Effects higher than Medium. Then you can play with shadows, reflections, number of opponents, and opponent details.
View attachment 366813

I am using the quick replay. I will look through the options and see what you mean.

I will look up how to edit the .json file. If I can't find any info on that, I will just assign a key.

Already set my Post Effects to low so I guess i'm good to go. So far, everything has been fine.

Thanks for the info. Game drives great. I just wish some of the tracks I love had been updated to DX11. I'm going to miss driving some of my favorites that I can't find DX11 versions. The non-DX11 ones look horrible and takes away from the fun.

New to rFactor2, coming from AC and wanted to try rF2 since I have so much free time right now under quarantine. Not far enough into it yet to decide if I like it, but one thing I noticed right away was it lacks any kind of functional replay system unless I'm missing something obvious. From my digging around the game, I only see a max replay time of 180 seconds and no system for switching to different track cameras when watching a replay.

Is this how the system works? How can you watch a race replay if you can only record 3 minutes worth of time? Or am I missing something that's staring me right in the face and I don't see it (which is highly likely since i'm not that bright)?

Thanks...

EDIT: Figured out how to switch cameras, but still wondering about replay length for watching a full race replay.

Also while I'm at it, I might as well ask a few other questions. If I turn off all driver aids in the options (ABS, TC, Stability control, etc.), are they still active if the car i'm driving has them as part of their setup? Secondly, how do you put the car in reverse? Downshifting only lets me go as far as first gear. And finally, are there any graphical options that are known to be frame rate killers that I should turn off or lower so I don't have to waste time testing out each one's effect on performance? I only have a GTX 1660 so I know i'm limited in how high I can set things.

The settings you are adjust for replay is only for instant replay and not for the whole replay of the session.
Go to replay settings adjust as per screenshot. Record replays on will record the whole session or race.
GRAB_3401.JPG

In the main game screen, click full screen.
GRAB_3399.JPG

Adjust slider to the left to see the whole session or race from beginning or adjust to the point you want to view. Press enter to remove control bar and repress to bring it back. Click minimize to go back to main game screen.
GRAB_3400.JPG

Hope this may be of help

Thanks...

I read you post again and you asked about FPS. I have found the biggest FPS killer is having VSync switched on, you can easily loose 30% of your FPS. I never have it switched on, I can tolerate a little tearing for the extra performance but I do think some people are more susceptible to seeing the tearing than others. It usually shows up most in replays, I have never noticed it while driving. It's worth trying so you can judge for your self.

I read you post again and you asked about FPS. I have found the biggest FPS killer is having VSync switched on, you can easily loose 30% of your FPS. I never have it switched on, I can tolerate a little tearing for the extra performance but I do think some people are more susceptible to seeing the tearing than others. It usually shows up most in replays, I have never noticed it while driving. It's worth trying so you can judge for your self.

I never use vsync so it's already off. Honestly, I never notice any tearing, maybe because i'm more concentrated on the road, especially in this game. I always knew I was a bad driver, but at least I was ok in AC. This game is a whole new ball game. No more mashing the gas out of the turns or abusing the car going into them. I'm not having trouble getting around the track, but I sure am driving with a lot more caution.

Thanks again for all the help.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 101 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 183 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 360 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing