Replacing desk with a P1X

I'm about to pull the trigger on a P1X. Currently I've got a standard desk setup. Standard gaming and (up until I've upgraded) sim racing as well.

I was wondering how I could accomplish replacing the desk with the rig? The main problem I can see is keyboard and mouse placement. Using the sim lab tray i dont think sits at the proper position for placing your hands on the WASD cluster. Not to mention having to place for the mouse except at the side of the seat using the provided mouse tray.

Perhaps a 8020 version of those mouse and keyboard trays that mount under desks maybe?

How would I go about doing this? Is it even possible for me to say, finish a few laps and switch to the Witcher 3 or a game of CSGO in the rig? T slot is pretty infinite there has to be a solution! Any ideas?

Last edited:
Here's another idea, the R-Seat free-standing keyboard and mouse tray. My 8020 rig is a full-motion rig, and that's an issue for a keyboard solution. This is the best I've found. Works great. I put the keyboard in my lap, and the mouse very naturally sits to my right side. The free-standing tray is far enough away from the rig so there's no interference with the motion.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Lapboard could be an easy and quick fix, can also use on a couch in front of TV.
I have this one, mechanical keyboard, paired with Logitech G502, all FPS gamer need.
71EnOlIL9XL._SL1500_.jpg

Upvote 0
If you can, I would put the rig next to your desk and just buy another monitor. One on your rig and one on your desk. Easy to plug in two keyboards and mice so both your desk and P1 have keyboard mouse inputs and then play the FPS games as usual at the desk.

Upvote 0
I'm about to pull the trigger on a P1X. Currently I've got a standard desk setup. Standard gaming and (up until I've upgraded) sim racing as well.

I was wondering how I could accomplish replacing the desk with the rig? The main problem I can see is keyboard and mouse placement. Using the sim lab tray i dont think sits at the proper position for placing your hands on the WASD cluster. Not to mention having to place for the mouse except at the side of the seat using the provided mouse tray.

Perhaps a 8020 version of those mouse and keyboard trays that mount under desks maybe?

How would I go about doing this? Is it even possible for me to say, finish a few laps and switch to the Witcher 3 or a game of CSGO in the rig? T slot is pretty infinite there has to be a solution! Any ideas?
This is the reason I went with an Obutto R3v, as the keyboard/mouse tray is nearly perfect and places my arms and hands in a fantastic position ergonomically.

I've been brainstorming moving this flexibility to the P1-X as well, and the solution I keep returning to, is to simply continue using the R3v keyboard and mouse tray, but mounted on the P1-X. It will bolt up to the sides of the P1 very easily apparently. Here's an example I found on Reddit. Not the best picture, but it'll give you an idea if you choose this route.

The only issue I see is actually sourcing the keyboard/mouse tray from Obutto. They have been out of stock for months and have not responded to my e-mails asking about stock.

Please check back in with whatever you go with, as I'm very interested in taking the plunge myself.

Upvote 0
If you can, I would put the rig next to your desk and just buy another monitor. One on your rig and one on your desk. Easy to plug in two keyboards and mice so both your desk and P1 have keyboard mouse inputs and then play the FPS games as usual at the desk.

I agree with this. I exclusively used an Obutto Ozone for a couple years. After a while though I missed the ergonomics of sitting at an actual desk for non-sim stuff and I went back to a desk setup. I'm currently tinkering with my desk setup for sim racing and kind of going back and forth on having a rig again, but this time next to the desk.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

SRG has video showing keyboard tray mounted on P1 so it can be used for normal typing.
Jump to 29:00

Upvote 0
SRG has video showing keyboard tray mounted on P1 so it can be used for normal typing.
Jump to 29:00

Thanks for posting that. It's just made me realise what an absolute idiot I am.

I use the exact same keyboard tray and always wondered what those little anti rotation tabs were. I had no idea what they were when I received the fittings so just chucked them in a ziplock bag, where they have sat for months.

Finally the puzzle is solved and I have to admit to feeling pretty embarrassed :whistling:

Upvote 0
@cirris Did you end up pulling the trigger and replace your desk with the P1? I'm about to order the P1 today and was curious how you made out.
I didn't end up replacing the desk. I found out I had enough room to put it beside my desk. It was narrower than I thought it would be after measuring. I might end up going through with it anyways though. A desk is a bit more convenient however if you can afford the space.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 109 12.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 83 9.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 80 9.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 56 6.6%
  • < 5 years