Renault to be rebranded Alpine for 2021

Today it was announced that the Renault F1 Team will be known as Alpine F1 Team from 2021 onwards.
  • The French marque will use their team as a platform to promote their performance road car division.
  • The cars will likely feature Alpine's traditional blue colour scheme.
  • The engine will be branded with the Renault E-tech Hybrid name featuring on this year's car.
After Luca de meo, the new CEO of the Renault Group carried out a review of the company and its subsidiaries, the team officially announced that from next year, it's team would be known as Alpine F1 Team.

Alpine has been associated with the Renault brand for over four decades, after they purchased the independent sportscar manufacturer in the early seventies. The parent company has primarily used the Alpine name to brand its more high-end performance road cars.

Alpine's presence in motorsport is nothing new, having competed in rallying, sportscars, and more recently as a customer team in the FIA World Endurance Championship's LMP2 category.

1024px-Alpine_A110_1800_Group_4_Circuit_de_Prenois_03.jpg

The team has traditionally raced in blue, with white and red highlights, and it is expected that next year's livery will feature these colours. It's fitting that one of its tricolore-coloured cars, will have its seat filled by Frenchman Esteban Ocon. The other will be occupied by two-time world champion, Fernando Alonso, who since leaving F1 has added a WEC title, and ample sportscar victories to his name.

When he revealed the move, de Meo described Alpine as being "a symbol of French excellence". Team principal, Cyril Abiteboul also seemed upbeat about the team's future in F1:

"This change comes at a key moment in the trajectory of the team and the sport.
"The new regulatory and financial framework will establish the conditions for a fairer motor sport in its redistribution of revenues - simpler and progressive in its governance.
"Alpine has its place in Formula 1 and can challenge for victory."

To challenge for victory in Formula One is not an easy thing to do, but with improvements on the Renault power unit this season, and a two-time world champion in the car next year, more and more of the requisite ingredients seem to be there for the French marque.

alpine.jpeg

Attachments

22. Software Engineer with experience in Formula One and Motorsport simulation.

motoliser

500RPM
Jan 12, 2018
Renault achieved in 2020 the best car design in ages. The pre-season full black livery was even better, but since Mercedes opted for the same colour I think Renault did well to keep some yellow. Don't like the 2021 colours, the grid has enough blue and red liveries already.

Reactions: Nimas2333

ianthem

25RPM
Feb 2, 2020
Renault achieved in 2020 the best car design in ages. The pre-season full black livery was even better, but since Mercedes opted for the same colour I think Renault did well to keep some yellow. Don't like the 2021 colours, the grid has enough blue and red liveries already.
The best Renault livery was the one that had the most yellow, the current one has so much black that it looks a big generic.

UncleDingus

10RPM
Feb 26, 2018
Makes sense with the direction De Meo is taking Renault in, and honestly, I think its an alright idea. At the moment, there is one dedicated Alpine dealer for the entirety of Australia, and most people down here have no idea what Alpine is. Therefore, it will be an important step in bringing awareness to Alpine, which in turn will help it grow to prominence. Moreover, imo, the Alpine brand has more potential to captivate audiences as opposed to Renault, which many people associate with cheap (and sometimes ****) cars. Associating the F1 team with the A110 (and future Alpine models) will definitely get more people onside.

michelforest

500RPM
Mar 2, 2010
I think it's a good idea if they are serious about making the Alpine brand more famous. I have to admit I had no idea Alpine was a Renault brand. I'm a bit sad to see the yellow and black Renault livery disappear, as it was my favorite for some time now. But blue, white and red is always a nice combination of colours (yes, I'm a francophile. Well, I'm French-Canadian, so my ancestors came from there!)

Reactions: Adyl and ianthem