Renault stole a mod

Hey guys,
First off, there's been a similar thread on the F1 forums with Codemasters stealing the 3D model of someone's AC F2002 mod to use in their game so that reminded me that I wanted to make this thread.
So, I've been to a Renault event in Iasi, Romania on October 21st 2017, where they said they will show off the RS17 and they showed off the R30 with the 2017 livery and didn't let me in the simulator because I needed to drive their cars first and I'm not old enough to have a license. That pissed me off badly but now let's get to the point.
They were running Assetto Corsa in the simulator and they were driving an RS17, which is not included in the base AC game and isn't in any of DLCs either. I thought that Kunos made it for them but decided not to release it to the public. Luckily, I took some pictures just in case.
Then a few days later I just happened to install a F1 2017 mod for AC. I noticed that it is the exact same mod they used. The mod is the ACF1-Mania 2017 mod. Looks like it's made for a Russian league, I'm trying to find a way to contact them. If you know them, or if you happen to be one of their members please let me know. I just want to know if they gave Renault the permission to use their mod. If they did, then I'm sorry for being harsh towards Renault.

Proof:
The mod loaded on my PC:
32294cf09a5228c84e3e64d917ecbaa0.jpg

Here's a picture I took at the event. I know it's very poor quality but I had to zoom in a lot. You can still see that the car icon and manufacturer icon are exactly the same.

ff0dfc45-c8b5-4151-9faa-1af15acf6ae0
QCWtE3B.jpg

The real question is... did Renault and F1 management give them permission to make the mod in the first place?

Even if Renault didn't contact the modders or vice versa and has no rights to use the mod commercially I'd be pretty careful raising that issue, could backfire badly.

Sometimes I get the feeling that at least 85% of sim racers are lawyers or politicians...

Sim racing should be about having fun with driving and racing cars. Not caring about legal issues THAT much. I should get a break from the forums. (This in not exclusively related to this thread but my recent feelings in general.)

It looks like it's usual to stole mods lastly... what we don't know is what happens to them when you prove that a mod has been stolen and being used in exhibitions, eRacing competitions, distributed, in social networks... unless you are the one who denounce it.

People who think they can stole a project, use it even modifying it or not to make a profit from it, don't know the consequences of it because usually, they don't know anything about simracing and how we use to protect our projects even they stole them.

It's just a matter of time that they pay for it, and the more they use or modify it, simply the better for the creator :thumbsup:

Regards,

SchumiBCN.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 327 27.9%