Renault / Nissan Chairman Ghosn Arrested

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Carlos Ghson arrested.jpg

Renault chairman and long time Formula One advocate Carlos Ghosn arrested in Japan for alleged fraudulent activity.

Ghosn, 64, has reportedly been arrested in Japan for alleged financial misconduct whilst at the head of both the Renault and Nissan brands. With criminal proceeding set to commence against the charismatic French-Brazilian-Lebanese businessman, it is expected that the current Nissan Motor Chairman will be fired from his role later this week.

Nissan CEO Hiroto Saikawa has expressed his disappointment at the behaviour of Ghosn following an investigation based on allegations raised by a whistle-blower within the organisation:

Looking back, the concentration of power was something we need to deeply reflect on,” he said, confirming the arrest of Ghosn in Japan.​

“To have so greatly violated the trust of many, I feel full of disappointment and regret,” Saikawa told a news conference.

“It is very difficult to express this…. It’s not just disappointment, but a stronger feeling of outrage, and for me, despondency.”

Carlos Ghson arrested 2.jpg

Ghosn is widely credited as the man behind the resurgence of the Nissan brand in recent years, having served with Renault since 1996 as executive vice president in charge of purchasing, advanced research, engineering and development, powertrain operations, and manufacturing, moving through to company to become a key player within the Renault ranks and playing a pivotal role in the alliance between Renault and Nissan.

Ghosn would play no small part in the push to return Renault to works status in Grand Prix racing, taking over the then Lotus team to return the French manufacturer back to Formula One following the controversial exit following a conviction for cheating during the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix race meeting.

With duel roles at the head of both Renault and Nissan, Ghosn would continue to spearhead the company motorsport activities in Formula One for Renault and now Formula E with Nissan, before the bombshell of his arrest dropped earlier today.

With Ghosn now out of the picture, it remains to be seen how or even if the news will have any effect on the motorsport activities of both brands.

Please let's us know what law university you've attended so we can all avoid its graduates.

So, in your world nobody gets arrested until after they've been convicted of the charges against them in a court of law? That's... not how any of this works. Won't be sending my kids to the law school you attended either, methinks.

He does kinda look like the Brain, but that just makes me almost like him. Loved that show. :roflmao:

It's a sad reality and @GTSpeedster is correct in pointing out the way such headlines are read or portrayed.
It's nothing new people did the same 100 years ago.
Read the headline in your favorite paper or watch it on the TV and it almost becomes instant facts, or guilt in this case.
We have no way of knowing what he did or didn't do, for all we know some may have been tired of his management decisions, perhaps he slept with a board members wife, or he is actually guilty of the vague term of "financial misconduct"

When any evidence presents itself, or he accepts a plea deal admitting guilt I'll bite until then innocent.

Guilty until proven innocent. What a brave new world we're living at.

True.but the facts that Nissan Motor Company have revealed make it highly unlikely that Ghosn is innocent.If he was innocent he would pronounce it & fight the allegations & removal as Chairman.My guess is that if he agrees to pay back the money(if he has it) he will avoid prison.

"Nissan Motors chairman Carlos Ghosn was arrested Monday for allegedly understating his income by about $44 million over the past five years, the company stated."
"As the misconduct uncovered through our internal investigation constitutes clear violations of the duty of care as directors, Nissan's chief executive officer Hiroto Saikawa will propose to the Nissan board of directors to promptly remove Ghosn from his positions as chairman and representative director. Saikawa will also propose the removal of Greg Kelly from his position as representative director."
https://www.upi.com/amp/Top_News/Wo...n-after-criminal-investigation/8681542628409/

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 230 14.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 157 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 156 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 223 14.3%