rF2 Renault Megane @ Mid Ohio - Tuesday April 23th 2013

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
Sign me up please although I seem to be having a problem using the mod. I stuck into into the packages folder and rFactor 2 doesn't seem to want to install it :(

edit: Found out what was wrong, sorting it now.

Sign me up please although I seem to be having a problem using the mod. I stuck into into the packages folder and rFactor 2 doesn't seem to want to install it :(

Do you have the correct track and car version installed. It should tell you what you need in the bottom right box when you try to install.

Copied and pasted from Andreas post:

It seems like you don't have the latest versions of the cars from ISI.(Corvette C6r, Marussia...)
Get them here: http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/rf2dl/
Maybe you have to uninstall the old versions first, not sure about that.

Also make sure you have these versions of the tracks:
Brianza 1.0
Mid Ohio 1.91
Toban 0.78
Long Beach 0.95

Get them here: http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/resources/categories/rfactor-2.3/

I just joined 10 min before qualy and didn't do any practice before, because I had an old setup and usually I am strong with the Megane and I know the track very well.
The times in practice looked fast so I decided to do some laps before qualy and was right on the pace. Qualy was brilliant, had a lot of fast laps.

Messed up the start a bit, was slow of the line, but still P1. After lap 1 I was 2,5 seconds ahead and then paced myself. Was just a bit relaxed once through the chicane in S1 and hit the wall + lost 5 seconds + a bit suspension damage, but could drive around it. After 15 min I started to drop the pace to save fuel and for the last 10min did a lot of lift and coast.
On the last lap I wanted to get my fastest lap back, but I would have crossed the line with 1 sec left and just 2l in the tank, so I slowed down a bit before the line.

Great race for me. Had just once an issue were a lapped car was going very slow on the apex of the fast left hander in sector 3 and I had to take the grass.

Surprised to get 2nd for this race looking at my pace during practice and qualy. Had a gr8 start and managed to get to 3rd by the first corner. :)

Think it was Claes Axelsson ahead in 2nd. Managed to get past after he went off track. There was no way I was going to catch Frederic, the gap was getting bigger and bigger each lap. He then had an off which gave me some hope. :rolleyes: Sadly even after his off he was still faster.

During fuel saving I managed to close the gap but I then had to back off considerably to safe fuel. Had Ian catching me but after his off I knew I would be safe to finish 2nd.

Think I managed to get my lap times into the 1:20's during the race too so was happy with that.

Look forward to getting back to the Clio's next week. :)

First time in these and at Mid-Ohio so was never going to be easy. Spent practice trying to setup my wheel correctly for my newly installed copy of rFactor 2 and spent qualifying in the grass.

Made a couple of mistakes during the race but I was getting used to the Megane bit by bit until I stuck into into a wall and I couldn't get into reverse so had to quit. Don't think my laptop can really handle rFactor 2 either. Just smooth enough but I think it would be best if I used a more powerful platform to avoid dumping someone off the track because my screen is periodically freezing.

Had a good time on TS, a lot of peeps were on! :thumbsup:

The highlight of the night was I beat Craig in qualy! :D

The race:
Had a good start but the car in fronmt wasn't quick of the line so had to slow down as I didn't want to sway to the right and hit the guy next to me.
In the first 2 laps I could drive away from the guys behind me and could stay with the guy(s) who were just in front of me.
At the end of the 2nd(?) lap Mariusz span coming out of the last corner onto the straight. There was one big smoke curtain and I tried to slow down as much as possible, but slammed into him.... A new record came to me for free....Steering wheel 110 degrees off.. My car went bananas and had to drive REALLY slow to the pit... Before I reached the pit I was almost 2 laps down and than 280 seconds repairs... When I came out of the pit was a zillion laps behind and my car was still not fixed enough to be drivable, so I called it quits and watched the race from the pit.

Hopefully the clio's will give me more luck. :D

A race to forget. Though was happy with qualify considering I've never driven much the Megane. This was my second race.

Like Stefan said, I was also caught up in his same accident and car was too damaged so the race was over.

I really had great fun last night, actually because of 2 mistakes of myself:)
Had my fastest lap in qualy but Frederique was too quick for me, so second was a great position to start. After a poor start I was lucky to hang on to second place, only to make a rookie error in lap 2 and braked too late and had a trip on the gras. I resumed in 6th place behind Axel, was able to overtake him 2 laps later, and then had a try at Ericson. Ericson and I were side to side in the chicane and both of us wouldn't budge, so we both went off and I could start over again in 5th or 6th place, loosing about 8 seconds in that incident. I was able to overtake Axel again and Ericson, after that I was in third place, behind Kevin and went on to chase him to close the eleven second gap. i almost managed to catch on to him was only 1 1/2 second behind him, only to hit the barrier in the second to last lap when I was close to him, got supension damage so after that it was bringing the car home in third. Had the fastest lap while chasing down Kevin(only 1 tenth of my qualy time) , I'm sure that Frederique could have done a faster time if he really wanted too. I really enjoy this car so I hope we will have more races with the Meganes in the future.:thumbsup:
BTW I want to say that everyone who was getting lapped were real professional in letting people get by, I lost not a second during overtaking, thanks mates! I only recently started racing here at RD but so far I'm enjoying it very very much because of the great positive community, and how we race each other, clean and competitive. And special thanks to Stefan W. because he his helping me out with my setups as I have no clue how to setup a car. Without his help i wouldn't be as competitive. :thumbsup:

I was lucky with your start, because my engine bogged down despite taking higher revs then I normaly do in the Megane, but there was just so much grip on the start line and I had to press the clutch again, that usually costs you 2 places.
Ian Franssen How much fuel did you have at the end? It sounded you pushed hard and I was coasting a lot and it was very marginal.

I had still 3 liters left a full lap, the last 2 laps I thought i had to save too, but because you made sure the race was a lap shorter, I probably could have gone full throttle till the end, but than very marginal. I guess I was doing the saving mode more in the begining when I was overtaking people, my laps were 1.21's and 1.22's , those were the same times when you were coasting, so that gave me room to push from the middle part of the race. So in the end it's about the same usage. There are also little tricks in which you can drive still fast and still save some fuel, especially when the track gets rubberd in, but I wasn't applying it to much in this race.
Did so in my very first race at RD with the Marussia, in race simulation I always had 4 liters left when pushing al the time, during the race I was able to coast home and had 14 liters left in the end, so it is very well possible to save fuel with adapting driving style during race.
Stefan Mizzi made a great program in which you can read the laptimes, if you download that and compare the times you can see how the race progressed:thumbsup:

I had still 3 liters left a full lap, the last 2 laps I thought i had to save too, but because you made sure the race was a lap shorter, I probably could have gone full throttle till the end, but than very marginal. I guess I was doing the saving mode more in the begining when I was overtaking people, my laps were 1.21's and 1.22's , those were the same times when you were coasting, so that gave me room to push from the middle part of the race. So in the end it's about the same usage. There are also little tricks in which you can drive still fast and still save some fuel, especially when the track gets rubberd in, but I wasn't applying it to much in this race.
Did so in my very first race at RD with the Marussia, in race simulation I always had 4 liters left when pushing al the time, during the race I was able to coast home and had 14 liters left in the end, so it is very well possible to save fuel with adapting driving style during race.
Stefan Mizzi made a great program in which you can read the laptimes, if you download that and compare the times you can see how the race progressed:thumbsup:
Can I ask what "tricks" you use for fuel saving. I usually use lift & coast. So I lift off completely 100m or 200m before the braking point and then brake a bit later than normal, because I am a bit slower or for example in T1 at Mid-Ohio I didn't brake just lifted early, so I still get a high cornering speed. I also did some short shifting.

Can I ask what "tricks" you use for fuel saving. I usually use lift & coast. So I lift off completely 100m or 200m before the braking point and then brake a bit later than normal, because I am a bit slower or for example in T1 at Mid-Ohio I didn't brake just lifted early, so I still get a high cornering speed. I also did some short shifting.

I think what I will tell you most people use and know already, I think it's the way you apply it during the whole race. Those 2 techniques I apply also, and what I will tell know you probably already did with coasting, but with the megane I usually use the throttle to go around corners and skid a little bit (losing some speed, but makes it able to corner,especially turn 1) and when it get's rubbered in you have to use it less, and you can let the car roll through the corners. What also helps is not using 100% throttle, but 90 or 80% at times, you lose time but I guess it helps. I do only gues this works, I don't have statistics to back it up or test this properly.

The applying of saving is I guess the most important, when do I lose the most when saving, and in which corners, which race situation. When I was overtaking I knew that at some points there was no room to overtake, so during that period I saved fuel, and when I there was a corner where I could overtake I went full throttle again. I usually choose note to go full power in the beginning anyway, because there is traffic and people often make mistakes or lose time with overtaking, that way I usually don't lose much time in the beginning, and I also have beside enough fuel also more tyre left for the end part of the race. When I was racing the Marussia at Fuji I was always maintaning the gape with the guy behind me, and looking after tyres and fuel, so I have enough peformence left to react later on in the race. It all depents on the situation in the race when or how.
So far I was almost never the absolute quickest on circuits during the race because of not being at the limit of my car and own performance during the whole race, but always was on the podium because I have performance during the whole race and it makes sure I make less mistakes, so overall a faster race for me. In the future I hope to be more able to be constant at my own and car limit and make less mistakes.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back