Renault GP test female driver De Villota

Timo Glock is a good example. I rate him as a driver. And I didn't know he raced in Champcar. From what you've said about Indy, I see no reason they shouldn't get a shot at a super licence. I would also like to see an IndyCar driver get an opportunity, then we can see first hand the results. The problem with that is, which teams would be willing to do that? I think it would only be the lower teams which can hinder a drivers career rather than progress it. I also think if USF1 got into F1 instead of the embarrassing Virgin/HRT, we might be seeing exactly what we're talking about. There is still time in the future though

Timo Glock is a good example. I rate him as a driver. And I didn't know he raced in Champcar. From what you've said about Indy, I see no reason they shouldn't get a shot at a super licence. I would also like to see an IndyCar driver get an opportunity, then we can see first hand the results. The problem with that is, which teams would be willing to do that? I think it would only be the lower teams which can hinder a drivers career rather than progress it. I also think if USF1 got into F1 instead of the embarrassing Virgin/HRT, we might be seeing exactly what we're talking about. There is still time in the future though

Yeah there's too many very talented European-based drivers to choose from. And Sebastian Bourdais' recent venture (i dont rate him as a "failure" but i agree he wasn't that impressive in F1) doesn't help matters. LOL. Seems American based open wheel drivers are hot and cold. Some adapt well while others just fail. Cause you have Christiano de Matta, Alex Zanardi, and Sebastian Bourdais. But then you have Juan Pablo Montoya and Timo Glock. So letting an IndyCar driver take an F1 seat is actually an unnecessary dice roll for most of the teams.

Personally I was very surprised to hear that Karthikeyan got the HRT seat but a lot good that did.

Of course, USF1 was made intended to form a NA link to GP2 and F1... except that didn't happen so that's that. We'll see. I'll be one of the first to admit that both the ChampCar and IndyCar grid a few years back wasn't very talented. That's quickly changing since the merger tho as IndyCar is getting more and more competitive and they are getting a bit more interest. It's my personal wish that IndyCar now would reclaim it's CART days back in the early 90s. But i think what would be good is if some European based open wheel driver (Lewis Hamilton or Sebastian Vettel? :D) would take the bait and try to win that 5 million dollar challenge Randy Bernard put over the Las Vegas finale this year. I hear Petter Solberg is interested but the only one who committed so far is Scott Speed... which is.... rather disappointing rofl

For the record... I don't beleive for a second it is easy - I think it is more boring than anything. Speedway / nascar / oval racing in general is just not exciting enough for me.

Sorry to say it, but watching oval racing is like listening to fishing on the radio.

For the record... I don't beleive for a second it is easy - I think it is more boring than anything. Speedway / nascar / oval racing in general is just not exciting enough for me.

Sorry to say it, but watching oval racing is like listening to fishing on the radio.

Yeah I dont have a problem with people finding it boring (cause sometimes NASCAR puts even me to sleep). Although I would seriously suggest you try oval racing in iRacing or if there's ever a CARTFactor league in RD for you to join :) You might change your mind ;)

I have an iRacing account and one thing iRacing did teach me about oval racing was:

1) Go around in circles is not hard.
2) Be fast while going around in circles is definitely not easy.

Add in the G-Forces real world drivers experience and I totally respect what the guys and gals in NASCAR and Indy are doing on oval tracks. But don't ask me to watch a NASCAR race on TV. I would rather watch paint dry. The only oval race I can watch on TV is the Indy 500 and that is because of it's tradition being one of the big three (LeMans, Monaco and the Indy 500) in the motorsports world. I would on the other hand be all to happy to go to a place like Bristol and watch a live NASCAR race. I am sure it would be fun.

In summary

1) I respect the talents of the NASCAR/Indy oval racers.
2) I would go to see a live NASCAR race.
3) I would rather watch paint dry than watch NASCAR on TV.

Yeah, that would be good. lets see if any of them have the cajones :D

Very sadly, the race is pretty much clashing with everything(including F1 and NASCAR), which means we'll have no real "big" names.

I hope they're not gonna let anyone too unexperienced with ovals(like... Solberg??), would be shame to have slow drivers playing a role in the great finale... If of course the title isn't decided by then.

About Maria,

She's kind of "Lady Driver", old style, from a family of rich and racing people (Emilio de Villota raced in F1 with his own team).

She raced many series including WTCC and she did ok, she has experience, but she won't surprise anybody in F1 and will probably do like the usual pay drivers in the back.

But in favour of pay drivers I have to say that you have to be a really good driver to obtain a superlicense ;-)

Both Oval racing and Road racing have there demands but at the end of the day Road racing is where the greatest drivers in the world are made. Oval racing requires talent and concentration for sure, but they cannot compare to the demands of road races, every track is completely different to the next (not just difference in banking or tightness of the corners like they are in Oval races) each braking point needs to be learnt perfectly, whereas Oval racing on most tracks require no brakes at all, apart from in a caution/pitstop. Oval racing is challenging, but it is no match for the skill and technique required for road racing.

For example, if you stepped into a NASCAR, you could get closer to the fastest time of the likes of Jimmie Johnson/Kurt Busch that you would if you stepped into a WTCC car/F1 car or whatever - as far far more raw speed and racing nouse is needed to succeed in road racing.

For example, if you stepped into a NASCAR, you could get closer to the fastest time of the likes of Jimmie Johnson/Kurt Busch that you would if you stepped into a WTCC car/F1 car or whatever - as far far more raw speed and racing nouse is needed to succeed in road racing.

I agree that road racing requires more technical finesse on the driver's part. However, you have to understand that ovals require a bit more precision in driving. On an oval .4 seconds translates to about 1 full second on a road course. Practically anyone can get within 1 second of an oval's pole time. But on an oval if you're .4-.5 seconds off pace from the front runner you're pretty much off pace already. While on road .4 isn't really that off pace.

Just imagine in qualifying on a track like Bristol or Pocono where if you turn slightly late or you accidentally twitch you'll lose about .2-.3 seconds and that can make you lose around 5 positions.

I agree with a lot of you that ovals don't take a lot of driving skill in general. But it does take a lot of concentration and driving discipline (i.e. precision) because on an oval just about ever aspect of racing is extremely exaggerated due to the constant high-speed nature of the track.

I agree that road racing requires more technical finesse on the driver's part.

You need to be precise on both ovals and road courses. Once you make a mistake, you can never make it up on that lap when you compare your lap to the ultimate perfect. Your only hope is that your competition is also making mistakes and you can make up time on their mistakes. Being precise applies to both track types.

I agree with a lot of you that ovals don't take a lot of driving skill in general.

I prefer road racing and I am a regular open lapping track day rat at my local race track (I have already been through two sets of tires and two sets of front brakes this summer ... ughhhh) and while I have never driven on a real world oval there is two things my iRacing account has taught me about oval racing.

1) Driving only making left hand turns is not that hard.
2) Driving fast only making left hand turns is not that easy.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back