Renault 8 Gordini TS @ Turagua / Hock Short - Tue 19th March 2013

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
flyertc65.jpg

Server name: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM GTL
Class: TC65 - Renault 8 Gordini TS ( Download )
Track: Turagua ( Download ) / Hockenheim Short

See Main Forum for Official Race Time Clock
Practice start time: GMT 20.00 (20 mins)
Qualification start time: GMT 20.20 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 20.30 (18 laps)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Practice start time: GMT 21.00 (20 mins)
Qualification start time: GMT 21.20 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 21.30 (18 laps)

Note 1 : We are using the SIMBIN lobby for this event. See here how to switch lobby
Note 2 : We run a superpole qually, you get one chance only at a outlap and qually lap. Take it easy on your outlap and get you car in a good position to run you qually lap, leave enough room to allow for the unexpected from the car infront
you don't get another go if you have to take avoiding action..

Server password: click here
Racing rules: click here

Entry List:
  1. Stuart Thomson
  2. Simon Bacon
  3. Tim Ling
  4. Rupe Wilson
  5. Jack Smith
  6. Rene van Zijp
  7. Hans Sneep
  8. Driver
  9. Driver
  10. Driver
  11. Driver
  12. Driver
  13. Driver
  14. Driver
  15. Driver
  16. Driver
  17. Driver
  18. Driver
  19. Driver
  20. Driver
Rules:

This is being held in our Club, using Club Rules, and should be driven in that spirit.

Well you're absolutely right there. This certainly was not an easy ride, and it took me a really long time to get to appreciating this mod and actually recognise what the car was doing.

Sunday night I had some practice with Jacob and Rene, and I'll admit I came close to just giving up on this car several times but didn't only because Jacob persisted... In retrospect I think I may have my FFB dialed down a bit too much, but eventually I got to the point where I could negotiate the car around the Turagua track without spinning every lap and still be fairly quick.

All this practice paid off on race night as I was battling with Jack and Stuart for quickest times in P1, and a near perfect Q1 lap got me pole.:)
For R1 a new element was added to the mix tho, brake management. Front brakes overheat quite easy on this car, and continuous slamming them could mean brake failure.
R1 started with a fun battle with Stu for the lead, but he ran into trouble a few laps in, and I was able to build a considerable gap to the guys behind while carefully nurturing my brakes to keep them in the green.
With about 5 laps to go I noticed Rupe closing in at breakneck speed so I had to really push my brakes into orange and red in the final laps to be able to keep him behind.:confused:

For R2 on the Hockenheim Short track, I had not practiced and it showed :laugh: . Also I ballsed up my Q2 lap with two spins, but miraculously still managed 5th place on the grid.
A decent start got me up to 3rd pretty soon, but then a slight tap from Hans set us back to the rear of the field; that was a shame especially for him, as with waiting up he had to throw away a very good 2nd place starting position.:(

I made it back up to 3rd after a few laps, and then got 2nd place handed to me as Rupe had an unfortunate disco. I set off to chasing Stuart who had a pretty big gap, gained some ground and then lost some, and it stayed that way to the finish.

Thank you Stuart for this event, grats to all podium finishers. :thumbsup:
Thanks all for racing, shame it was a rather small crowd, but then this was not an entry-level car. What I learned from this is to show more perseverance in the future if I cannot get along with a car instantly. :redface:
Who knows, I might even figure out how to drive the default Abarth some day..:D

Sorry if my presence in server caused any problems as you moved through the sessions. My visitor arrived well before the 8pm start, so I went downstairs but left was still in server. 10 mins before official praccy I ran a couple of laps to show him what a Renault 8 was - I also asked if he would like a race on my second system (in GTL but not RD Server) - he said no he had things to do and would be leaving soon - so I stayed in the server thinking I might just make both races after all - 2 hours plus later I still had company so didn't get to join you.

Liking the mod, as previously mentioned the interior is a bit basic, but I can't fault how they drive - only fault I would pick up on is that the default setup had a 60% coast on the diff and that coupled with the dead spot before the cam starts to really do its work in these caused me no end of spins and offs on downchanges at first, one your round that and get your head round these there a great little fun car to drive.

Thanks to Jack for the laps we put in before offficial praccy - I know I kept spinning off, but thanks for your patience in waiting and the fun chases we had.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 344 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 236 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 231 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 295 13.4%