Rename a mod car?

Just wondered if this is possible

I drive the asr williams fw14 the previous update changed it from a paddle shift to a H pattern and I've really enjoyed using it. The latest update changes it back to paddle shift. Could I change the name of the current H shifter car and install the newer update enabling me to choose between the 2

Thanks

Would be less work (and more realistic) to drive the ASR McLaren MP4/6. It's the same year, similar V10 engine and uses H-Pattern.
https://www.**************/mods/assetto-corsa/free-cars-ac/mclaren-mp4-6-1991/

Just wondered if this is possible

I drive the asr williams fw14 the previous update changed it from a paddle shift to a H pattern and I've really enjoyed using it. The latest update changes it back to paddle shift. Could I change the name of the current H shifter car and install the newer update enabling me to choose between the 2

Thanks

The answer is yes.
Change the name of the car folder, the only other thing to do is change the sfx folder.
If you have CM and you should, just use the replace sound tab.

Would be less work (and more realistic) to drive the ASR McLaren MP4/6. It's the same year, similar V10 engine and uses H-Pattern.
https://www.**************/mods/assetto-corsa/free-cars-ac/mclaren-mp4-6-1991/

Thanks I have the other cars its strange It took be by suprise when the fw14 update had a h shift but really enjoyed it
The answer is yes.
Change the name of the car folder, the only other thing to do is change the sfx folder.
If you have CM and you should, just use the replace sound tab.

Thanks I gave that a go but it wouldnt start race cancelled msg when I analysed with cm it had lots of errors no worries I'll just make a backup of the car folders and I can swap them round that way

If it has a data.acd, that's keyed to the specific folder name also, you can only change the folder on cars that put data in an open data/ folder. It's also a good idea to change the name of the car in ui/ui_car.json so you can tell them apart in the launcher.

Hi. I do this kind of thing quite often. Make your new folder with your altered car name. Paste all the folder contents from the original car into your new folder and then change what you want. Open car.ini and change the 'screen name' to fit your new car's description. Open the ui car json file with WordPad and change the name of the car to match your new one. At this point you can also change the description if you like to say what is different about your modded car or adjust the performance specs that are listed if need be. Save the json file and exit. Don't worry about the warning window. Open Content Manager and select "content' and then "cars'. Select your new car from the list. If it shows a warning that the json file is damaged just click on the box that says to fix it. It repairs it every time. Then use the 'replace sound' button to clone the sound from another car to your new car. In your case clone it to the other original car that you just modded. Done. I swap engine.ini's, power luts, drivetrain.ini's, final.rto's, setup.ini specs and suspension.ini specs all the time. I have successfully turned some really badly driving mods into decent (sometimes great) cars by doing this. It's a trial and error thing. Lots of fun.

If you wnat to be open a data.acd file I found this tutorial youtube video that tells you how. It's a secret feature of the full version of Content Manager. Follow the video instructions carefully. When he says to keep clicking on version number KEEP CLICKING until the developer mode window pops up. Then you are in like Flint.

Remember one thing though. Now you have a data folder and a data.acd file in your car folder. Either delete the data.acd file and just run off the new data folder or you must 'repack' the data.acd folder after making changes or the car won't reflect the changes you just made. Obviously mods like I'm talking about here can only be used for personal use.

To create an "upgrade", copy the folder to a new name and edit UI file to have the original one as parent.

Example:
mycar
mycar_copy

ui_car.json of mycar_copy (mycar_copy\ui)
"name": "my car copy",
"parent": "mycar",
"brand": "carmaker" ......

copy/edit suitable upgrade.png picture to the same ui folder

To change the name of the car you need to extract and re-compile the data.acd, but should not be necessary
(or extract and remove data.acd using the data folder instead)

No only the latest one on the asr site now

I've just been having a look I think I might have to extract the data file before I make a copy of the car file. If I just copy the car and then extract the data when I open the car ini its all jumbled

Just wanted to say thanks to the people who responded in this thread. I didn't know it was possible to create a copy of a car that you can alter. It helped me create a GT3 version of one of my favorite GTE mod cars by editing some of the decompiled data.acd files to add entries for things like ABS brakes, tyre adjustments for GT3 rules, etc. Cool stuff.

HaHa, good for you! Yes, I have a blast modifying specs on cars. I often spend more time modding mods than I do racing cars. I'm currently playing around with a 1970 Porsche 914-6. I have swapped in the 3.0 engine and drivetrain specs from the 1974 911 RSR 3.0 along with the sound. I'm calling it a Porsche 914-6 GTS. This one has been tougher than normal as I have also had to adjust alignment specs to be able to keep it on the road. Lots of fun! By the way, I have also been experimenting with different sfx packs for the Bo Singer Porsches. My already modded sound for the '74 RSR sounds pretty darn good in the Bo Singer as well. I need to figure out what sound pack I put in that RSR and I'll pass it along at some point. Another thing I have spent a lot of time doing with great success is swapping specs around between muscle cars. There are some great looking but poor driving (and vice versa) muscle cars out there. If you know which models share the same basic chassis in the different years you can swap the specs between them (carefully) and experiment. I have got a really nice line-up of great looking and driving muscle cars now. It takes time and the interest in doing it though.

HaHa, good for you! Yes, I have a blast modifying specs on cars. I often spend more time modding mods than I do racing cars. I'm currently playing around with a 1970 Porsche 914-6. I have swapped in the 3.0 engine and drivetrain specs from the 1974 911 RSR 3.0 along with the sound. I'm calling it a Porsche 914-6 GTS. This one has been tougher than normal as I have also had to adjust alignment specs to be able to keep it on the road. Lots of fun! By the way, I have also been experimenting with different sfx packs for the Bo Singer Porsches. My already modded sound for the '74 RSR sounds pretty darn good in the Bo Singer as well. I need to figure out what sound pack I put in that RSR and I'll pass it along at some point. Another thing I have spent a lot of time doing with great success is swapping specs around between muscle cars. There are some great looking but poor driving (and vice versa) muscle cars out there. If you know which models share the same basic chassis in the different years you can swap the specs between them (carefully) and experiment. I have got a really nice line-up of great looking and driving muscle cars now. It takes time and the interest in doing it though.

If I knew more about real life cars, i'd probably do what you do as well just for the fun of it. Sounds like it would make for some interesting experiments. I'm not even sure I did my GTE to GT3 conversion accurately but I do know I followed some of the GT3 rules on adjustments to alter what can and can't be changed in a setup compared to GTE. There are obviously some things I can't do anything about, especially external differences (wings, etc.), but at least it's close to being GT3 spec ready so I can add it to my modern GT3 car grid and drive against other GT3 cars on a similar playing field.

I've spent my whole life with cars as a hobby and a career. I'm 62 now. Yes, that accrued knowledge helps a lot but you can learn a lot through a bit of research if you are interested enough. For example, using the muscle car example, if you realize that the manufacturers produced different models of cars on the same chassis...eg GM "A body" cars or Chrysler "B Body" cars (look them up) then you will learn that a 1970 Chevelle SS is basically the same car as a 1970 GTO or Olds 442. The sheet metal and interior trim is different but mechanically they are all basically the same other than slight differences in engines. Same thing with Dodge Challenger and Plymouth Barracuda or a GTX and a Superbee. It is also easier sometimes to swap specs between mods made by the same author. Don't mess with anything to do with "graphic offsets" and carefully watch suspension component measurement specs between suspension.ini's and you are generally ok. Remember that you are doing this with a new car folder and experimenting....you really don't have anything to lose. Generally, all you need to do to swap an engine is to change out the engine.ini and the power.lut that goes with it. However, if you are changing a car from a small block to a big block you should really also adjust the car's weight and also usually it's CG (coefficient of gravity). CG is basically what percentage of weight is in the front of the car versus the back. Obviously a big block car will be heavier and also have a bit higher percentage of weight in the front of the car versus a small block car. The CG figure is found under suspensions.ini. If you have any questions feel free to send me a PM and I will be happy to answer any questions you may have. Have fun.... that's the name of the game.

I've spent my whole life with cars as a hobby and a career. I'm 62 now. Yes, that accrued knowledge helps a lot but you can learn a lot through a bit of research if you are interested enough. For example, using the muscle car example, if you realize that the manufacturers produced different models of cars on the same chassis...eg GM "A body" cars or Chrysler "B Body" cars (look them up) then you will learn that a 1970 Chevelle SS is basically the same car as a 1970 GTO or Olds 442. The sheet metal and interior trim is different but mechanically they are all basically the same other than slight differences in engines. Same thing with Dodge Challenger and Plymouth Barracuda or a GTX and a Superbee. It is also easier sometimes to swap specs between mods made by the same author. Don't mess with anything to do with "graphic offsets" and carefully watch suspension component measurement specs between suspension.ini's and you are generally ok. Remember that you are doing this with a new car folder and experimenting....you really don't have anything to lose. Generally, all you need to do to swap an engine is to change out the engine.ini and the power.lut that goes with it. However, if you are changing a car from a small block to a big block you should really also adjust the car's weight and also usually it's CG (coefficient of gravity). CG is basically what percentage of weight is in the front of the car versus the back. Obviously a big block car will be heavier and also have a bit higher percentage of weight in the front of the car versus a small block car. The CG figure is found under suspensions.ini. If you have any questions feel free to send me a PM and I will be happy to answer any questions you may have. Have fun.... that's the name of the game.
Sorry, I believe CG stands for ""Center" of gravity.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back