Reminder: slip stream & brake distance

Reik Major

Premium
Guys, i'm sure we all know how to race and what to have in mind. I just thought that Monza is a special high speed track with much more slip streaming and long braking zones, so i want to remind us the following thing:

The mod simulates the loss of downforce in the slip stream very well. This lower downforce automatically increases the breaking distance! Of course at Monza the effect is much bigger as usually.
The most critical situations will be the first lap, especially heading to the 2nd chicane with a huge pack of cars.
There are many parameters like cold tires & brakes + slip stream of many cars + much fuel + cars in front going slower through chicane as usual which forces everyone to brake much earlier then usual. And the more cars in front, the earlier we need to brake.

I'm pointing this out so clearly, because all of us did much testings, but very often (me too) on their own and not in a pack of cars. So i hope no one gets surprised by this effects in the first race situations. :wink:

Again, i don't want to suggest anyone he didn't know about this. I just want to remind us of it. :redface:

It can be a nice opportunity for the midfield if the leading group hook up wheels and go out for an excursion. For a driver down in the field that takes it easy the first lap there is approximately five positions to gain during fist lap in average:eek: I have learned this by driving in the league a couple of years:D So I say go for it on the first lap guys, and let me overtake you when you are out there studying mother nature’s wonders:doublethumb:(joke)

I think we'll re-introduce the practice start for this race. I acctually forgot this at Spa, but I intend to do the practice start for the rest of the races, starting at Monza.

For those who have not been with us earlier, a practice start works as follows:
Right before qualify I'll push the server to race, and then we'll do the first minute of the race as practice before we jump to qualify. The idea is not to see if you can pull of a kamikaze start but rather to learn about any dangers so the real start can be as safe as possible. Therefore, do your best to do a clean and safe practice start.

Thank you for posting this thread Reik, you are very right, Monza can be a very dangerous track the first lap. Luckily all our members are now 100% focused on safety and will do their upmost not to be part of any incident :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 92 12.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 67 9.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 73 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 45 6.3%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 100 13.9%