Remembering Imola 1994

This topic became too morbid. Better remember the lad for the good times. And, as himself said, this were the best:

Even if you don't understand a word in the video, treasure the images in your memory, because this is what Senna really was, not a dead body over a firetruck with a lot of people crying around.

Now, get yourselves to the virtual track and practice!

PS: My earlier post is full of errors... I will correct them now, for the sake of good communication lol.

Ironically enough, since I'm not really part of the whole "Church of Senna", among other reasons also due to the fact I've already lost most of the interest in F1 when he was racing (and my personal "F1 hero" died just last year), I will sadly remember him the most as the originator of that certain famous quote that has become synonymous with reckless and inconsiderate simracers in my mind, who also seem to be blissfully unaware of the actual context the quote. I'm sure you know which quote I'm talking about.

That being said, RIP Senna and Ratzenberger. Let's hope weekends like the one in April/May 1994 are now firmly a thing of the past, in no small part due to the cost the two had to pay.

But it was just revenge, he never did something like that before or after. The fact that he admitted doesn't make it worse. Better than those who won't admit to this day, forever hiding it to maintain their image of a good boy.

What else is there to it?

Well, if you don't understand what's wrong with that, then there's nothing else to say that will make you understand. Which I had already predicted.

Ironically enough, since I'm not really part of the whole "Church of Senna", among other reasons also due to the fact I've already lost most of the interest in F1 when he was racing (and my personal "F1 hero" died just last year), I will sadly remember him the most as the originator of that certain famous quote that has become synonymous with reckless and inconsiderate simracers in my mind, who also seem to be blissfully unaware of the actual context the quote. I'm sure you know which quote I'm talking about.

That being said, RIP Senna and Ratzenberger. Let's hope weekends like the one in April/May 1994 are now firmly a thing of the past, in no small part due to the cost the two had to pay.

People literally worship the guy?

To this day I can still remember where I was at 1:14pm on 1st May 1994 and I could take you to the place right here and right now its less than a mile from me and I could tell you exactly where I was sitting and who was in the room that day its that seared into my memory!

Rolland's death was sader than Senna. Just because Senna had done it all and had little left in F1. With talent like Schumacher and other's on his tail he would of retired and gone into another form of racing. Or slide down to the back of the pack.
Rolland had a lot more potential and more to achieve. so it is harder when the up and coming drivers die as they have not made there mark. Just like Jules Bianchi.

I wasn't that much of a Senna's fan... in fact, I found him just a playboy with a big ego that eventually done good deeds... so, he was ok to me, but I was not a fan and at the day he died I was much more troubled about Ratzenberger, that was completely forgotten.

But the day I got devastated was 05/05/1994, when his funeral procession crossed São Paulo city (where I lived during most of my life) from north to south. Some colleagues and I (all around 15 old) skipped class to see the procession pass under the Vila Guilherme Bridge (at the first leg of the procession).

My little party wasn't all sunshine and rainbows, but we ain't sad, just curious and wanting an excuse to skip class. But the closer we got to the crowd over the bridge (there were far more people than accounted by the press, that must have counted just people on the service) more the things gone dark. There was even some beggars, that probably never saw Senna, crying. I never saw anything that sad in my live. Was like a big and rough miasma like from an horror movie, choking everyone there. We found a spot right over the place were the procession would pass (we arrived much earlier) and waited. When people near me saw the fireman truck some kilometres away on the horizon it was like being beaten on the stomach, harder than I was ever beat over 30 years of Kyokushin. As the truck got closer I almost panicked by the people's sadness... they were all broken. São Paulo city was not new about tragedies... we got civil wars, massacres, public executions, dystopian like crime, pandemics, mass murderers, suicide cults and every thing on the package... never in my life I saw São Paulo silenced by sadness, specially on a working Thursday. I didn't wanted to stay there, but couldn't move away.

To me, the man and the driver are lesser things... I don't admire too much the driver and don't care for the man... but the myth he became is another story. I still feel my spine going beyond 0ºC every time I see images from that day... felt the cramps when the people from Honda unleashed his ghost over Suzuka (still feel every time I watch that). To me, this is Imola 94:

01.jpg

388247-970x600-1.jpeg

x82440119_FILE-PHOTO-A-motorcade-accompanying-the-coffin-of-Formula-One-driver-Ayrton-Senna-killed-in.jpg,qposicaoFoto18.pagespeed.ic.RMJHGrXR_-.jpg

Now, picture around 50km of it all.

Now extend this feeling across the entire country, watching this on TV and mourning that guy whose job was driving fast in circles, but somehow wiped our complexo de vira-lata for a little moment in some sunday mornings.

On the other hand, he left the average Brazilian spoiled: If a driver didn't behave like him, he was either arrogant (Piquet) or a slacker (Barrichello and Massa). Other motorsports categories are virtually non existent for the press. It was only Tony Kanaan crossing the finish line to win the 2013 Indy 500 for Band ending the broadcast abruptly because of a football match. Ricardo Divila, the guy who projected the all brazilian-made F1's for Fittipaldi Automotive died last week and only the motorsport press remembered him.

Yes, Globo TV took advantage of his charisma, and he profited it also. This took Ayrton to a level beyond the ordinary F1 driver. Galvão Bueno was his friend, but Galvão didn't learned a thing about mechanics with him (e.g. insisting at 91' Brazilian GP that the problem with Senna's car was only the worn tires, but he didn't noticed that Ayrton was trying to prevent the car from stalling at the low corners, much less that he wouldn't even changed gears some laps before). I can fully understand the hate from the Piquet's hardcore fans. But that does not explain the admiration of the Japanese people for him (actually was winning with the Honda engine and Senna's work style, close to some Japanese ideals).

I like to rewatch the videos of him driving. The raw speed, reducing gears in an aggressive way, sometimes with one hand on the steering wheel and the other on the gearbox, pumping the accelerator when leaving each corner, letting the car sambando (skidding) searching for centimeters of asphalt that would deliver as much traction as possible at the same time the Hart/Renault/Honda/Ford engine screaming furiously at his back. Every lap, trying to push his own limits, turning that monoposto into an oversized go-kart. Especially when it was raining. This sparked my passion for motorsports.

In the end, he was a human after all, with all his merits and flaws.

"If I ever happen to have an accident that eventually costs me my life, I hope it is in one go. I would not like to be in a wheelchair. I would not like to be in a hospital suffering from whatever injury it was. If I am going to live, I want to live fully."

Last edited:
Now extend this feeling across the entire country, watching this on TV and mourning that guy whose job was driving fast in circles, but somehow wiped our complexo de vira-lata for a little moment in some sunday mornings.

On the other hand, he left the average Brazilian spoiled: If a driver didn't behave like him, he was either arrogant (Piquet) or a slacker (Barrichello and Massa). Other motorsports categories are virtually non existent for the press. It was only Tony Kanaan crossing the finish line to win the 2013 Indy 500 for Band ending the broadcast abruptly because of a football match. Ricardo Divila, the guy who projected the all brazilian-made F1's for Fittipaldi Automotive died last week and only the motorsport press remembered him.

Yes, Globo TV took advantage of his charisma, and he profited it also. This took Ayrton to a level beyond the ordinary F1 driver. Galvão Bueno was his friend, but Galvão didn't learned a thing about mechanics with him (e.g. insisting at 91' Brazilian GP that the problem with Senna's car was only the worn tires, but he didn't noticed that Ayrton was trying to prevent the car from stalling at the low corners, much less that he wouldn't even changed gears some laps before). I can fully understand the hate from the Piquet's hardcore fans. But that does not explain the admiration of the Japanese people for him (actually was winning with the Honda engine and Senna's work style, close to some Japanese ideals).

I like to rewatch the videos of him driving. The raw speed, reducing gears in an aggressive way, sometimes with one hand on the steering wheel and the other on the gearbox, pumping the accelerator when leaving each corner, letting the car sambando (skidding) searching for centimeters of asphalt that would deliver as much traction as possible at the same time the Hart/Renault/Honda/Ford engine screaming furiously at his back. Every lap, trying to push his own limits, turning that monoposto into an oversized go-kart. Especially when it was raining. This sparked my passion for motorsports.

"If I ever happen to have an accident that eventually costs me my life, I hope it is in one go. I would not like to be in a wheelchair. I would not like to be in a hospital suffering from whatever injury it was. If I am going to live, I want to live fully."
Motor sport is a niche thing in the whole world... in Brazil it's both niche and extreme elite because of costs.

Now picture that motor races are one of the most complex sports around... and one of the most "boring" (in the sense of repetition) that exists. Piquet said once that "the public don't care about the race, they just want to see overtakes and crashes"... well, Senna gave a lot of movement to the sport. If you analyse him in numbers (what, IMHO, is the only racional and logic measure of quality in races... just because it IS what it's all about... time and points) he was one of the best, but far from the best drivers... and it happens because he was extremely inconsistent...that inconsistency happened because the guy was all about putting a show... and that is exactly why he is the most popular ever. That is, for example, the reason because Nigel Mansell (a relatively mediocre driver JUST BY CHAMPIONS STANDARDS) is much more popular than Hamilton (a guy much more efficient).

Personally, I stick with the numbers... but completely understand why most people is emotional about it. I'm a boring dude... I like boring things... but cool people like cool and visual things... and Senna delivered it better than any other driver in any category. But, yeah, we MUST value folks that are aways trying to push the limits, and this is what makes me admire the man... not as much to treasure him as the best or to be his fan... but at least I admire him as a driver, and this is ok because admiration don't come cheap.

Evocatively and eloquently written.

Thank you very much for posting.

Feelings always come up in me about this time.
Just weeks before I turned 22 I watched the entire 1994 Imola weekend.
If I was Senna fan by that time? Definately and certainly for by far the most part, both as a driver, a leader and bringing motorsports to another emotional level, spiritual or not (liked it thought I'm not religious myself).
Thought I remember I disliked his always "ideal-lines racing" in races as he was alone on the track, thereby sort of arrogant racing which I did not like, I was still a fan.
Became a fan instant at Monaco '84, and as a 12yo boy felt the victory was simply stolen from Ayrton. Remember me filled with negative feelings, and felt just so unfair to stop the race "just for a little rain". F1 startet as feelings for me since my first watch at Monaco '82. And Senna made sure to continously deliverer on my register on emotions, both when he drove and when he spoke.

Speaking the black weekend, the Barichello Friday Q1 incident was deep in my emotions when watching Ratzenberger Saturday Q2.
By then my feelings tried to convince me, that governing would cancel the remaining weekend.
I got so distracted that I didn't notice who took pole, before I at Sunday race day discovered Senna to be on pole.
And then hearing about more near-crash incidents in pitlane was first time I had thought of the pitspeeds.
Just too many bad feelings I couldn't deal with.
But at race start when lights went green, it was like my body instant forgot all the bad feelings, and I enjoyed the racing. I was definately on Senna-side in dual with Schumacher. Remember I was satisfied that Senna seemed to open a gap to Schumacher.
And then the crash. I got irritable, now it went just fine. And when Senna moved his head, I thought nothing was wrong, but was still angry of what I thought was a driving error from Senna, so I went out for a soda/beer/coffee or so but watched the race from distance, since I could not take that Schumacher now stole the show.

When Sennas death was announced before race end, it was like my world stopped.
I remember the next couple of days at my study at university dealing with group projects , I was still in chok and was convinced that F1 would completely stop now.

Requiescat in pace.

Last edited:
Emerson Fittipaldi remembers Ayrton Senna.

20 years ago Brazil held a farewell party for one of its greatest champion in the history of sports, Ayrton Senna.

It was an irreparable loss for the country and the world.
Emerson Fittipaldi, who met Ayrton as a boy, when he raced go-karts, remembers the fellow countryman with much regret.

"I knew Ayrton when he drove a kart at the Autódromo José Carlos track. At that time he was winning everything in Brazilian karting and because of that, I had already heard about him. One day his father, Milton, approached me and asked me for some advice. I told him he should find Ralph Firman Sr., who had been my mechanic and who founded the legendary Van Diemen Formula Ford team in 1973. I think I gave good advice. Senna and Ralph closed a contract and Ayrton piloted, with much success, Van Diemen cars. He won the English Championship Ford 1600, in 1981," said Fittipaldi.

There began a new success story in world Motorsport with Senna becoming three times a World Champion. Fittipaldi remembers the performances of Senna.

"People always ask me who was the best driver of all time, and this is a very difficult question to answer when trying to match racers of different eras. But in my opinion, Ayrton was the best,” said Emerson.

Fittipaldi planned to run with Senna in Indy, while still driving for the powerful Team Penske.

1992sennaindytest01@@fes_width&5E250@@fes_height%5E166.jpg

"At the time I won the Indianapolis 500, I was good friends with Ayrton. My dream was to race the 500 miles with him and asked why he did not test the Indycar. Roger Penske would enter a third car for Senna,” Fittipaldi said.

“We were at the pinnacle of our careers. We went to the United States, where he saw the tests and came to drive. In Phoenix, on the one mile oval circuit, Roger Penske didn't let Ayrton drive because he was afraid of Senna driving too fast and getting hurt. It would have been great to have the opportunity to run with Nigel Mansell and Ayrton that year.”

A year later, Ayrton would suffer the accident that took his life, at Imola.

Fans of Motorsport and Senna probably will remember where they were when they heard of the death of Senna, May 1, 1994.
Fittipaldi also will never forget that day that would be scarred forever in the lives of Brazilians.

"I was testing out an IndyCar at Michigan Speedway. I remember to this day that it was a test on a full tank of gas and we needed 28 laps. There by the 17th lap, the head of the team called: ' IN! IN! ‘,” he said.

“At the same time I took my foot off the accelerator and asked if there was something wrong with the car, because I had 10 more laps to complete the test. I was on edge with a full tank of gas. They said the car was ok. When I entered the box, my wife was on the phone. Never in my life have I had a crew chief asked me to answer the phone during a test. I thought it was some tragedy in my family, that something could have happened to my kids. When I heard of the death of Ayrton, it was a shock. To me, he was immortal. I think for all of us. I believed that it would never happen.”

Ayrton Senna will always be remembered by his friend in Motorsport and life, Emerson Fittipaldi.
"In addition to an exceptional pilot, he was a wonderful human being and a great heart," he said.

Last edited:
Verry sad more for Roland. He was younger and had more potential. Senna was on top of his game and i doubt if he would have much more in F1. He was intimidated by rising star Michale Shumacher who would have ran circles round him. Similar driving and tactics on track.
I remember seeing a picture of Sennas McLaren upside down at mexico. Shocked as he never did stuff like that. He was such a professional he dodged accidents and let other drivers pick them up. He did a lot of humanitarian work for his country Brazil espeshaly those in poverty.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back