Reiza News: Updates and Developments Coming to rF2 'Reiza DLC'

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 Reiza Bundle Update 4.jpg

Reiza Studios recently confirmed work is still well underway to enhance the recent 'Reiza Bundle' DLC for rFactor 2 - including some additional free versions of Imola...

The 'Reiza Bundle' DLC for rFactor 2 came out back on March 28th to much anticipation and fanfare from players of rFactor 2, the well regarded Brazilian studio having a first crack at creating content for the venerable racing simulation by Studio 397 (ok, Interlargos aside).

First Look: Reiza DLC Puma P052 Talk 'n' Drive.

With plenty of cars and tracks included in the pack, I think it fair to say that the new content has been pretty much universally enjoyed by the sim racing community. Despite the initial success of the new release, Reiza have recently confirmed they have a new update in the works, and will continue to work on the pack to bring further refinements and improvements in the coming weeks.

First Look: Reiza DLC MCR Sports 2000.

As well as generally enhancing the already released cars and tracks, Reiza have also confirmed further historic versions of the Imola track will be brought to the simulation as a free bonus, available for anyone who owns the current Imola release via any of the existing packages offered by the team.

Pretty cool.

Below you can read the full communication from Reiza, released in the last couple of days:

Although the rF2 engine is in many ways still similar to our AMS engine (and even big differences like tyre modelling have eventually delivered surprisingly similar results on both sims), there are still a number of differences, not just with the physics engine but also configurations and how FFB, audio, controllers are set up which can add up to very different experiences.

The goal has always been to make the transition both from AMS to rF2 as well as from other rF2 cars and tracks relatively seamless, and we´ll point out a few ways to better bridge those gaps.

Since release we´ve also found some ground to cover in order to get closer to that goal and generally improve the quality of the pack. Quite a bit has already been done in the 3 weeks since release - we currently have an update in testing which should hopefully be deployed soon, below is the summary of the main points of what it will include and also what the plans are beyond it:

GRAPHICS
The main change for the 1st update will be that all car skins (except the F-Vee) have been upscaled to 4k, added regions to customize different type of materials within each skin.

On the preview below you can see for ex. the chrome on the splitter pillar and carbon on the splitter itself - these along with the higher resolution make the cars look substantially nicer and add some extra room for those looking to get creative in their skinning

rF2 Reiza Bundle Update 1.png

The higher quality skins come with a small FPS hit when running larger fields, but this should be offset by the fact we have also lowered mirror resolution to use rF2´s standard, so performance should be slightly improved overall specially from cockpit view.

With the tracks, the main change is that we have fixed an exporting problem with VIR, Imola and Ibarra that caused road / curb texture sorting issues through the windshield of certain cars.

Generally our content is less resource hungry then recent rFactor2 releases, specially the cars as our models have been optimized to run on AMS which is still a 32bit app. Some glitches have been reported while running lower graphical settings and while we have been fixing these, the gains from running anything below high detail for cars and tracks should be relatively minor.

PHYSICS
Although the physics have remained largely unchanged, we´ve done some refinements to all cars, mainly to FFB by further reducing clipping reported for some cars. The steering lock range has been adjusted to allow a minimum of 10deg, and the default setting has been reduced for a slightly slower steering ratio in all cars.

Default setups have also been adjusted so cars are generally more comfortable to drive out of the box.

We´ve been observing some discrepant feedback on driving feel depending on the player´s wheel. We´re still investigating why that is, but one recommendation that has proved useful for many users is to increase FFB smoothing setting, specially on Fanatec wheels (or at least stay within default values for your wheel).

It´s worth noting there are some differences on the Pumas relative to their AMS counterparts; The Puma P052 runs on slick tires in rF2 (semislicks in AMS); the Puma GTE is based on original 1970s specs and runs on radial tires with softer suspension rates (vs the slick-shod, stiffly sprung AMS version which is based on modern Copa Classic setups). The goal being making the content more diverse and filling gaps better within rF2.

AI
We have revised the AIW for all tracks to correct some issues that have been reported since release. The AI physics have also received some fine tuning for more consistent performance across all series.

rF2 Reiza Bundle Update 2.jpg

It´s important to point out that unlike Automobilista, rFactor 2 has a bigger range of AI parameters that can be overridden by player configuration (through the UI or player JSON file) - straying too far from default may lead to unforeseen issues with performance, behaviour and fuel use and strategy from the AI-controlled cars.

AUDIO
The main changes on the audio front have been to sound effects - here again we have been following S397 lead with their recent releases and applied the samples they have kindly supplied for wind, road, rumble, tyre scrub & skid and did some volume balancing to bring it closer to rF2´s standard, aiming again for consistency in those fronts relative to the experience with other rFactor2 cars. We have also adjusted engine volume levels for player and opponents following that same logic, and done some polishing to some of our engine samples.

BUG FIXES
On top of these updates we addressed various graphical glitches that have been reported since release.

rF2 Reiza Bundle Update 3.jpg

In the post below you´ll see the current changelog for the upcoming update, which may still be updated as we undergo some final testing before release.

If you run across bugs that haven´t already been covered so far or even after the update is released, please continue to use the Bundle release thread to report them so we can try address them as we´re able.

FUTURE DEVELOPMENTS
We´re working on adding some special bonus content to the Bundle: Imola 1988 and 2001 layouts will be added free of charge to all who bought the Imola track or any pack that included it.

rF2 Reiza Bundle Update 4.jpg

These however won´t be quite ready for the upcoming update, and will instead most likely will be released in a following update towards the end of may.

The plan is to continue to refine and look into incorporating new features as they are introduced to the sim as well as trying to discover ways to get the best of these cars and tracks in rFactor2 - as we do we´ll continue to keep you informed through this topic :)

In the meantime please feel free to continue discussing this release, your suggestions and bug reports in the rF2 Bundle Release thread.

rFactor 2 is available exclusively for PC.

For the latest and greatest from the world of rF2, head over to the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment to stay in touch with the news and community discussion.

For racing fun against real people, check out the rF2 Racing Club for regular, quality online racing in a safe and fun environment.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

The main changes on the audio front have been to sound effects - here again we have been following S397 lead with their recent releases and applied the samples they have kindly supplied for wind, road, rumble, tyre scrub & skid and did some volume balancing to bring it closer to rF2´s standard, aiming again for consistency in those fronts relative to the experience with other rFactor2 cars.
Noooooo, the tyre scrub & skid sounds were perfect, much better than the S397 ones. :(

Why, oh why, do Reiza step in the same fatal steps of S397, with releasing obviously unfinished products to the public?
Do both think their customers are more enthusiastic as others to support unfinished work at full pricing, or do they think we are just dull?
It’s as painful to read for you, as it is for me to write this.
I appreciate the work S396 have done, as I also despise them for their selling politics.
If they don’t change this strategy drastically, I fear this undertaking is only bound for ruin...

Why, oh why, do Reiza step in the same fatal steps of S397, with releasing obviously unfinished products to the public?
Do both think their customers are more enthusiastic as others to support unfinished work at full pricing, or do they think we are just dull?
I appreciate the work S396 have done, as I also despise them for their selling politics.
If they don’t change this strategy drastically, I fear this undertaking is only bound for ruin...
No they are just struggling with rF2 engine and they are patching the DLC in order to give you the best experience...
This is what made Reiza great, never ending support for their titles and always looking to perfection...
Your words fits better PC 1 & 2 maybe..

No they are just struggling with rF2 engine and they are patching the DLC in order to give you the best experience...
This is what made Reiza great, never ending support for their titles and always looking to perfection...
Yadayada, same old.
I bought all the DLCs they released, and every single one was broken for weeks or even months!
Same or worse to peeCats.

Well they could just as well have chosen to not bring these updates at all and I suppose you would then not have complained because you wouldn't know about any better. The fact is that any software and any game content is in a constant update cycle, this is the current time we live in. There is no such thing as a finished piece of software. It is like asking for Microsoft to not bring any Windows 10 feature updates, because you wanted a "finished" operating system.

Also there is a limited amount of testing they can do, in some cases it relies on other owners of the DLC's to report issues. If everyone had a Windows 10 with the same spec it would be easy but in a world of a million different configurations, there will always be issues. However between Reiza and S397 they are doing a good job of sorting the issues quickly.

In their defence though, I've had zero issues and haven't noticed anything. Imola is just beautiful. and having visited there for real I love that screen shot in the article. It really is in the middle of a town. Awesome; and I want a holiday house there! haha :)

Well they could just as well have chosen to not bring these updates at all and I suppose you would then not have complained because you wouldn't know about any better. The fact is that any software and any game content is in a constant update cycle, this is the current time we live in. There is no such thing as a finished piece of software.
Another one completely missing the point and showing scary hints of “Stockholm Syndrom” :rolleyes:
Please refrain from protecting faulty corporate decisions without being financially involved with this bunch!

The thing is, I agree that some of the issues should not have slipped for the release of the pack. But despite those issues I was 100% sure that stuff would be updated and polished, so I have no hurry to wait for those updates and use the content that allready works great from the DLC. That's 4 great looking tracks, that I haven't even tried yet in all their glory, because I was too busy taking the T280 around historic Imola for hours. Even better that there are more layouts of that iconic track to come.

Another one completely missing the point and showing scary hints of “Stockholm Syndrom” :rolleyes:
Please refrain from protecting faulty corporate decisions without being financially involved with this bunch!

I think you are missing his point slightly. I agree with you to some extent but there is no game I've come across on the PC platform that has been properly sorted on release. There are always updates, and the important thing is there ARE updates. It would be easy for a development team to release the pack, say "there you go" and then walk away.

Assetto Corsa, Raceroom, AC, iRacing, the F1 games (as examples). They all have (or had) updates and have issues sorted so you could use your argument for all sims on the market.

The most recent extreme example I suppose was KartKraft. We were the test team, it was released with hundreds of issues and like you I wasn't happy, but they worked very hard and now it's one of my go to sims when I want to have some kart racing in the virtual world.

I'm 44 years old and I remember when the likes of GTR2 (or Grand Prix 4) was released, it had one minor update and that was it. It was a 100% complete game and nearly perfect and bug free, but unfortunately we don't live in that sort of world anymore. Which I agree is a shame but that's the way it is now :)

There's one other thing you need to remember, these development teams are tiny. Compared to the huge groups that produce Playstation or XBox games (Which are akin to movie production teams). Sim Racing titles are a minority and very small in comparison.

If you don't wish to purchase the software, then don't. I don't agree with iRacing's subscription scheme so I don't race on it, but I don't mention it every time someone like @Paul Jeffrey does an article on it, lol

I think you are missing his point slightly. I agree with you to some extent but there is no game I've come across on the PC platform that has been properly sorted on release. There are always updates, and the important thing is there ARE updates. It would be easy for a development team to release the pack, say "there you go" and then walk away.

Assetto Corsa, Raceroom, AC, iRacing, the F1 games (as examples). They all have (or had) updates and have issues sorted so you could use your argument for all sims on the market.

The most recent extreme example I suppose was KartKraft. We were the test team, it was released with hundreds of issues and like you I wasn't happy, but they worked very hard and now it's one of my go to sims when I want to have some kart racing in the virtual world.

I'm 44 years old and I remember when the likes of GTR2 (or Grand Prix 4) was released, it had one minor update and that was it. It was a 100% complete game and nearly perfect and bug free, but unfortunately we don't live in that sort of world anymore. Which I agree is a shame but that's the way it is now :)

There's one other thing you need to remember, these development teams are tiny. Compared to the huge groups that produce Playstation or XBox games (Which are akin to movie production teams). Sim Racing titles are a minority and very small in comparison.

If you don't wish to purchase the software, then don't. I don't agree with iRacing's subscription scheme so I don't race on it, but I don't mention it every time someone like @Paul Jeffrey does an article on it, lol
I’m totally aware software is a beast.
But still I don’t like to be an involuntary beta tester while being charged full price!
And that’s the point I want to make here.

I’m totally aware software is a beast.
But still I don’t like to be an involuntary beta tester while being charged full price!
And that’s the point I want to make here.
Manage your expectations better if you want to enjoy the games within this community, these are highly technical, they arent high budget, they dont have the legions of playtesters or the funds to delay the products for a significant time to weed out problems. For all intensive purposes, every sim is a indie title, ok ACC isnt but to expect a flawless experience is a very tall order for teams as small as these are. If you disagree that is fine however I do think you are bit too ambitious with your expectations.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 100 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 180 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 354 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 497 39.2%