Reiza charge for the next big update?

Msportdan

@Simberia
Right..... first hold your horses, reiza haven't said anything about charging, this is an idea (which ive heard a few times) to fund reiza forward, for this great sim.

What If I propose that reiza charge for the next big update ie: 1.26. maybe 3-5£ Im sure most of us would pay and it only helps them to go forward with this sim..and to be honest they've given us so much in the past.

However I wouldnt want this to occur every update, once in a while im sure would be fine.

maybe im just thinking the public oughta give back :)
Simple poll to answer...

Disclaimer: this isn't endorsed by Reiza or obliged to take any action from this thread.

Hmm, not so sure how charging for updates would work with Steam as most people have games set to automatically update and things like that. I can imagine things could get messy very easily. What would happen if you don't pay for an upgrade (1.26) but you take the free upgrade (1.27). Dont think that this can work well at all.

Paying for downloadable content (tracks, cars) is another matter and is something that Reiza should think about, especially now that they are on Steam. This is something that should easily be manageable. No idea how that would work in correlation with their GSC Sync tool though which may be an issue. Remember that Reiza has said that GSC Sync will continue to provide future upgrades for non-Steam users.

Yes, I feel Reiza should further "monetise" (hate that word!) this product. I'm not sure how they make money by providing so much free content on top of what is a cheap product to start with. GSC is still a fairly niche product in a niche sim-racing market and I think it's in our interest that Reiza are sustainable.

I agree with @Warren Schembri that perhaps charging for updates to the core product isn't feasible. DLC cars and tracks is the way forward. I'd quite happily pay a few £ for every Stock Car V8 season update, for instance.

Haven't even enjoyed the game much, as I haven't found the right way to set up FFB well (ex. nothing when moving straight, pulling to the sides when turning, etc). Quite complex (for someone not familiar with the older games' files structures/variables, like rF2,etc.) to have to search parameters in ini files. Prefer the setup of AC, and of course the help of some FFB app tools. Very simple, no file editing and FFB feel is easily set (at least for my G27).

Thought as I bought the game, I've been trying to go back every so often and try again. Just so far haven't gotten to set up the FFB well to enjoy driving long.

We wouldn´t charge for updates or even DLCs, GSC was not designed to work this way and it would be jarring if we did that now.

We have ideas, as previously hinted upon of opening up a crowdfunding campaign to boost our budget - this would go into everything, from developing extra content & features for GSC but also (and mainly) beyond it - stuff such as funding for source code licensing & development, car & track licenses for new projects, bringing in more devs to the team as well as boosting the paycheck for the existing ones.

The idea is more towards an "associates club", with a private forum where members would for instance be able to participate in development topics, try out beta builds, get a few souvenirs and even discounts on future products. That could work, but it would require hundreds, if not thousands of contributors (assuming memberships ranging from 10-50 USD) to be a worthwhile venture.

Anyway, sharing these thoughts as maybe it´s an opportunity for more ideas on how we could make it work, and if people would really be behind it.

Go ahead and count me in. Just tell me where to funnel the money. ;)

The idea is more towards an "associates club", with a private forum where members would for instance be able to participate in development topics, try out beta builds, get a few souvenirs and even discounts on future products. That could work, but it would require hundreds, if not thousands of contributors (assuming memberships ranging from 10-50 USD) to be a worthwhile venture.

Anyway, sharing these thoughts as maybe it´s an opportunity for more ideas on how we could make it work, and if people would really be behind it.

Stock Car Extreme is too good of a deal and I doubt that Reiza has the capacity to make a lot of progress while still keep the updates "free". They need to start charging for DLC content packs but first they need to find a way to protect the content to prevent it from being ripped. Maybe wait for when rF2 engine is available for third party development because the combination of Steam and the encryption ISI is working on would make for a relatively safe platform.

We wouldn´t charge for updates or even DLCs, GSC was not designed to work this way and it would be jarring if we did that now.

We have ideas, as previously hinted upon of opening up a crowdfunding campaign to boost our budget - this would go into everything, from developing extra content & features for GSC but also (and mainly) beyond it - stuff such as funding for source code licensing & development, car & track licenses for new projects, bringing in more devs to the team as well as boosting the paycheck for the existing ones.

i would go for this in a heartbeat.

Maybe change this poll to your suggestion, "Would you be interested in a crowdfunding campaign"

Crowfunding does not work as it used to do :(
Many good ideas and projects do not reach their goals, even if they are not expensive.

I think it's really saturated...but, if you decide to do it (dk2 support hint hint... :p ) i will give you my money for sure!

@Reiza Studios have you thought of Online Throphy Cups or tournaments where, for a small fee (let's say 5-10 dollars) you can take part in an online competition and win a prize?
For the prize, you can find a sponsor which will take care of that in trade for the advertisement done (putting it in a simple way, you know better than me how these things works). The bigger the prize the sponsor will offer, the more we will love it :D
This will also give a boost to the online part of this game and maybe draw more people.
It is a know fact that the so called "e-sports" are becoming more and more important and many big companies are sponsoring already online tournaments.
The tournaments or cups can be held every 3/6 months and that would provide a good flow of money.

Don't know, just an idea which popped in my mind while on Interlagos (and that made me crash badly :D )

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 204 14.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 153 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 148 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 109 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 206 14.1%