Reinstalling GTR2 - best approach?

Hi,

I decided to reinstall this old beauty and am wondering if there is an accepted way to get the best out of her.
Should I install the Anniversary patch and then start adding in HQ mods? Just the Anniversary patch? Just the various HQ mods? Something else?

Sorry, it's a bit befuddling coming back to this and seeing so many options now available.

Cheers

1- install GTR2 either from dvd or steam

2- download and install GTR2 10th anniversary patch

3- right click on all EXE files inside GTR2 folder and set WinXP compatibility + Administrator rights

4- run GTR2config.exe (choose 32bits resolution, dx9) but Do NOT choose AA/AF here

-use Nvidia Profile Inspector to set AA/AF (set Antialiasing compatibility to Diablo II or Diablo III)

- turn off vsync (according to personal preference) - ffb in GTR2 seems to be tied to refresh rate

5- Install Bill2's Process Manager or Process Lasso and set GTR2's core affinity to use all cores of your processor. Set Administrator rights for Bill2's Process Manager or Process Lasso.

6- run GTR2.exe

Use JSGME (JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler) to install tracks and mods.

HQ MODS are already included in 10th Anniversary patch, there are just more options to choose from in the HQ MODS collection - like different sparks effects for example.

Huge thanks from me to everyone who has been putting in hours to maintain and improve this legend of a game!

Last edited:
For instant play :
1- install gtr2 either from dvd or steam
3- with modern OS you really need to right click on all EXE inside GTR2 folder then check WinXP compatibility + Administrator rights
4- run gtr2config.exe (choose 32bits resolution, dx9) but Do NOT choose AA/AF here (do that in your graphic card driver instead)
5- run gtr2.exe

HQ MODS are already included in 10th Anniversary patch, you have got just more options to choose from in hq mods collection like different sparks effects by example

If I may add an advice ... in addition to GTR233's perfect one:
For your sake and easy way of adding mods and addon tracks ( the ones you'll keep and the ones you'll uninstall after test ), use JSGME to install them.

Easier and safer way in order to manage mods. ;)

Yes, excellent advice, thanks. In fact that is the first thing I did after installing GTR2 last week. I pretty much drop it into every sim-game folder I install, whether it ends up getting used or not. Fantastic piece of software.

Cheers

For instant play :
1- install gtr2 either from dvd or steam
3- with modern OS you really need to right click on all EXE inside GTR2 folder then check WinXP compatibility + Administrator rights
4- run gtr2config.exe (choose 32bits resolution, dx9) but Do NOT choose AA/AF here (do that in your graphic card driver instead)
5- run gtr2.exe

HQ MODS are already included in 10th Anniversary patch, you have got just more options to choose from in hq mods collection like different sparks effects by example

I can run GTR2 without problems in Windows 10 as long as I use Admin rights.

(Why anti-aliasing configuration in GTR2's config file should be avoided?)

(Also, I have used the 4GB patch, but GTR2 still using 2GB according to the config.ini file).

Because the antialiasing/anisotropic setting in gtr2config is basic/outdated and doesn't manage advanced AA/AF that I have got with my nvidia video card so result is much better with my nvidia panel (I talk about my own experience but Durge Driven can confirm it too).

I think you did not understand the 4Gb patch :
- with 4Gb patch under 32bits OS : gtr2 uses 2Gb RAM max
- with 4Gb patch under 64bits OS : gtr2 uses 4Gb RAM max
Moreover there is nothing to do with ini file because 4Gb patch is a flag inside gtr2.exe so it overrides whatever is written in ini file.
Same for AA/AF settings as the nvidia control panel overrides what is written in ini file

Last edited:
Because the antialiasing/anisotropic setting in gtr2config is basic/outdated and doesn't manage advanced AA/AF that I have got with my nvidia video card so result is much better with my nvidia panel (I talk about my own experience but Durge Driven can confirm it too).

I think you did not understand the 4Gb patch :
- with 4Gb patch under 32bits OS : gtr2 uses 2Gb RAM max
- with 4Gb patch under 64bits OS : gtr2 uses 4Gb RAM max
Moreover there is nothing to do with ini file because 4Gb patch is a flag inside gtr2.exe so it overrides whatever is written in ini file.
Same for AA/AF settings as the nvidia control panel overrides what is written in ini file

Now I get ieverything.

Thanks, GTR233!

Personnally I set "replace application setting" because I agree that "enhance application does'nt work for me either, and the way modern graphic cards handle AA/AF is rather different than 2006 ones (gtr2 engine) : we've got many lines of settings to manage AA/AF and not only a single line as gtr2config.

I tried the Override setting, but that didn't seem to work - whether I had AA enabled in GTR2Config or not. The only combination that seems to have any effect for me is AA enabled in GTR2Config + Enhance in Inspector.

But it looks lovely with this.

I tried the Override setting, but that didn't seem to work - whether I had AA enabled in GTR2Config or not. The only combination that seems to have any effect for me is AA enabled in GTR2Config + Enhance in Inspector.

But it looks lovely with this.
Assuming you are using W10?
In Nvidia Profile Inspector for all the gmotor2 games set Antialiasing compatibility to Diablo II.
There are several other that work but that is the one I use.
DSR works well too but I find it makes the image darker?
Other have had good results with Windows Mode.

What are you all running as far as Nvidia Inspector settings? I have a 7700K + 1080ti and most settings I try result in some pretty severe framerate drops with 30ish cars on track (3840 x 1080 resolution using G-Sync).

Have you enabled Gtr2 to use all cores.
see this thread if not.
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/did-you-know-gtr2-supports-180hz-ffb.148936/
Turn off vsync.
also try restricting FPS to say 100fps.
a solid 100fps is better than 200fps if you are getting large drops.
Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Last edited:
Did you set windows XP compatibility + Administrator rights (right click on each EXE inside GTR2 folder one by one) ? Because this is source of lot issues if you don't do that under win7/8/10.

Bill's process manager is old and no more updated, so try bitsum process lasso (free version is enough for gtr2) which is still up to date so 100% compatible win10.
Otherwise you've got the good old CTRL+SHIFT+ESC just after launching game then manually enable cores by selecting gtr2.exe process tab then choose cores affinity :)

Last edited:
Assuming you are using W10?
In Nvidia Profile Inspector for all the gmotor2 games set Antialiasing compatibility to Diablo II.
There are several other that work but that is the one I use.
DSR works well too but I find it makes the image darker?
Other have had good results with Windows Mode.

Great, thanks!
I had read before that GMotor2 games needed the Diablo II compatibility setting. I looked but couldn't find it. However after you reiterated that to me, I decided to try the Diablo III compatibility instead - and it works well now. I can override the application AA settings as you describe.

Thanks for that.

Yep, doesn't seem to be working for me so I'll try that.

Yes, core affinity is the key to getting better framerates. I messed around with all kinds of graphics options trying to get a decent framerate - nothing helped - until I set the game to use all cores of my processor. Then the framerate went through the roof, comparatively speaking.

Bills Processor Manager should work, but Process Lasso also works, it just is much more program than is needed. As GTR233 and Jempy suggest, make sure you set admin rights on all the exe files, including Bill's Process Manager, and also XP compatibility for all the exe files in your GTR2 folder.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 78 12.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 56 9.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 64 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 91 14.6%