DiRT Rally Regret getting this now so early

Msportdan

@Simberia
I slightly regret buying this. All I've done is tweak xml files and I'm bored with it. I had a go at Monaco and I get the issues people have it doesn't feel right. Far too twitchy snappy and feels like a f1 car on a road. Not to mention the ffb which doesn't work...at all. How can they release this like this, even in early access but surely get the ffb working!?

I'm a little gutted now I'm sure it will end up ok but I should of waited.....
Do steam do refunds

I know its ea but still its a little unplayable in its poor state.

All the studios are going early access. They need the dough. You have to be patient and have confidence they will improve things over time. Right now it is what it is. The days of a title being 90%+ done at release are likely over. Take a break and drive another sim. You have a passion for this stuff, the stumbling blocks are part of the process. Thank you for your work .

I've settled into an easy rhythm of doing the daily event most days, and only occasionally taking time out from all my other sims to run more stages.

The Pikes Peak update is expected to land in May, and the guys from Codemasters are clearly taking the FFB feedback very seriously: read their latest blog. http://blog.codemasters.com/dirt/05/dirt-rally-road-book-060515/

A couple of months is nothing in Early Access. If that is how long we need to wait for a revised FFB feel then Codemasters will have done better than many other Early Access teams (cough*Wreckfest*cough).

Hopefully after the FFB is sorted they can work on grip levels for different surface conditions and weather. The Monaco stages aren't the only ones with problems. In GB, there's no difference between wet and dry conditions. Or how you can decelerate unrealistically quick. Or performance discrepancies between cars from different eras.

Last edited:
I slightly regret buying this. All I've done is tweak xml files and I'm bored with it. I had a go at Monaco and I get the issues people have it doesn't feel right. Far too twitchy snappy and feels like a f1 car on a road. Not to mention the ffb which doesn't work...at all. How can they release this like this, even in early access but surely get the ffb working!?

I'm a little gutted now I'm sure it will end up ok but I should of waited.....
Do steam do refunds

I know its ea but still its a little unplayable in its poor state.
sadface

I don't think I should pay 20£ then have to sit there fixing the ffb when I don't get paid to do that. At least in a ea have a working ffb. I don't mind finding bugs etc but working out how to get the ffb to switch on takes the wee, not to mention the crap camera angles.

And again I use 540

I don't think I should pay 20£ then have to sit there fixing the ffb when I don't get paid to do that. At least in a ea have a working ffb. I don't mind finding bugs etc but working out how to get the ffb to switch on takes the wee, not to mention the crap camera angles.

And again I use 540
The why buy and early access first build if you are not expecting bugs ... makes no sense what so ever ... the problem is not the title ... its you, you are the problem here ... if you dont want bugs .. dont buy early access ... if you want to help build something you love and support and genre of games that you love ... do ... its that simple

Fair enough...

Was just frustrated other day couldn't get the ffb to feel good even with all my tweaks etc. Greece is the only playable stage for me right now.

Maybe will come back in a couple of months see how Dr has progressed.

FFB is spoiling the game for me also, but I'm still enjoying it in smaller doses for now. I gave up on trying to tweak the xml file, resetting everything to play as is... one thing that's keeping me going back is working on liveries for the vehicles I have in game, couple of hours in photoshop and 20 minutes in DR. Though, having Project Cars and Assetto Corsa to jump into doesn't help...

Hoping that it'll only be a few weeks before the ffb is patched, but that could just be wishful thinking. Do I regret getting the game in early access? No.

'Early access' is a work in progress. Seems some don't quite understand the concept of this. The customer becomes a part of the ongoing work of a game under development. Call it what you like, whether it's being charged to be used as a gametester or paying to be part of the experience where you can add valuable feedback. It's a choice to opt in or not. But don't expect a game to be firing on all cylinders (Pun intended).
I'm sure CM will improve this title and to be fair it's already a good rally experience (except FFB) even though CM admit they have a lot of dev to go on this one. Stick with it as we love our sim racing.

I think the whole early access thing can work well for both parties.
I think its not just money grabbing, as may see it.
The developer is halving is risk by getting players on side as soon as they can.
Games like AC & P-cars & several other none race based games have proven this to be winner
Both for PR & Sales.
This is the first time I have jumped into a early access project , I have done Beta testing in the past but not the pre stages.
We all have to remember this is long way off finished , so its not playing like the end product for sure.
The FFB is the biggest single thing holding back testing the game to its fullest.
Without this been sorted out I can no see how people can judge the rest of the game engine on the driving side.
How long before they bring out a new version of the FFB drivers we can not say yet.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 389 39.9%