DiRT Rally Regret getting this now so early

Msportdan

@Simberia
I slightly regret buying this. All I've done is tweak xml files and I'm bored with it. I had a go at Monaco and I get the issues people have it doesn't feel right. Far too twitchy snappy and feels like a f1 car on a road. Not to mention the ffb which doesn't work...at all. How can they release this like this, even in early access but surely get the ffb working!?

I'm a little gutted now I'm sure it will end up ok but I should of waited.....
Do steam do refunds

I know its ea but still its a little unplayable in its poor state.

Still Rubbish FFB:speechless:,It's like driving a hovercraft not a car:roflmao:.Then as i exited the game it asked me "Are you sure you wish to exit the game", Yes absolutely positive i thought.
It's going to be a long hard road before this becomes a sim,If ever.

I thought that they said a while back that the FFB update was going to take a while longer for testing to be completed? Using an AccuForce wheel, the FFB taken directly from the physics output data (rather than the standard FFB) is actually pretty good, so I have high hopes for them sorting it out having said that they would.

Looking at the other rally games coming out this year; take a look at the developers and their interaction with the sim community thus far, their history in 'simulation' development, and the platforms that they are developing for. I don't want to make any judgement on the merits of different game types, but I think that Dirt Rally has the highest chance of being the closest to being the type that this community are most interested in.

As for value, I think that I have had reasonable value out of Dirt already and there are more cars and tracks on their way. As with any Early Access game you can wait until it is feature complete to decide if it is worth it to you at full release price, or wait even longer until it is put on sale. I think by then I will have had many more hours of value out of it.

This has been posted on steam regarding FFB,
justbiglee [developer]38 minutes ago
We we're quite clear it wouldn't be in the Pikes Peak pack, sorry if that message didn't get to you. Should arrive as a seperate patch sometime between now and the Germany update

"We were" Perhaps the problem with the ffb is also just a few incorrect punctuation marks :D.

Looking at the other rally games coming out this year; take a look at the developers and their interaction with the sim community thus far, their history in 'simulation' development, and the platforms that they are developing for. I don't want to make any judgement on the merits of different game types, but I think that Dirt Rally has the highest chance of being the closest to being the type that this community are most interested in.

Codemasters and community interaction? You are joking? And they do not have a history of "simulation" development. :cool:

Nope, not joking. Not a smiley in sight.

Have you been on the Steam forums and seen what they are up to? I've not heard too much from Big Ben or Milestone.

And lets not argue about what constitutes a 'simulation' as the definition is wide and varied (and there are already whole threads already devoted to not agreeing on that one), but I would say that the early Colin McRae rally games would fall into that category for me. That was before console sales became more important than PC sales; the other rally titles look to be being predominantly developed for consoles.

It feels to me like Dirt Rally is being developed by a small enthusiastic team within Codemasters, trying to prove that a more 'simulation' focussed game is worth pursuing alongside their higher-sales driving games. I could certainly be proven wrong, but all the signs so far have been encouraging and I am prepared to give it a chance.

Last edited:
Will try again after FFB as been updated but I find it un-drivable as it is at present. Hoping that they can get it sorted but don't have much faith in Codemaster after past games. Here's hoping I am proven wrong, RSRBR has been a great Sim but its time we got a modern rally Sim that works. Past WRC games were :poop: but with 4 new games in development fingers crossed one gets it right.

forgot where I got this....possibly here, but, give it a try after saving your original file

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <FFBEffects soloRampRate="1000" soloAttenuation="0"> <FFBEffectSelfAligningTorque device="wheel" scale="1.0"/> <FFBlateral device="wheel" scale="1.0" velocityFactor="0.03" frictionGripScalar="60.0" frictionSurfaceScalar="5.0"/> <FFBCollision device="wheel" scale="1.0" thresholdLow="0.6" thresholdHigh="10.0" damageZone="0" freq="15.0" length="0.3" sample="smallCollisionWheel"/> <FFBCollision device="wheel" scale="1.0" thresholdLow="10.0" thresholdHigh="5000.0" damageZone="0" freq="10.0" length="0.6" sample="largeCollisionWheel"/> <FFBSuspension device="wheel" scale="1.0" thresholdLow="2.5" thresholdHigh="20.0" freq="5" length="0.4" sample="suspensionWheel"/> <FFBCollision device="pad" scale="0.07" thresholdLow="0.01" thresholdHigh="0.6" damageZone="0" freq="20.0" length="0.1" sample="scrapeCollisionLow"/> <FFBCollision device="pad" scale="0.07" thresholdLow="0.01" thresholdHigh="0.6" damageZone="0" freq="20.0" length="0.1" sample="scrapeCollisionHigh"/> <FFBCollision device="pad" scale="2.0" thresholdLow="0.6" thresholdHigh="10.0" damageZone="0" freq="15.0" length="0.2" sample="smallCollisionLow"/> <FFBCollision device="pad" scale="2.0" thresholdLow="0.6" thresholdHigh="10.0" damageZone="0" freq="15.0" length="0.2" sample="smallCollisionHigh"/> <FFBCollision device="pad" scale="2.5" thresholdLow="10.0" thresholdHigh="5000.0" damageZone="0" freq="10.0" length="0.5" sample="largeCollisionLow"/> <FFBCollision device="pad" scale="2.5" thresholdLow="10.0" thresholdHigh="5000.0" damageZone="0" freq="10.0" length="0.5" sample="largeCollisionHigh"/> <FFBSkid device="pad" scale="0.55" thresholdLow="0.9" thresholdHigh="1.1" thresholdMin="3.0" freqLow="4" freqHigh="30.0" load="1.0" length="0.2" sample="skidBack"/> <FFBSkid device="pad" scale="0.45" thresholdLow="1.0" thresholdHigh="1.3" thresholdMin="3.0" freqLow="16.0" freqHigh="16.0" load="1.0" length="0.1" sample="skidFront"/> <FFBSuspension device="wheel" scale="2.0" thresholdLow="1.7" thresholdHigh="20.0" length="0.25" freq="10" sample="suspensionR1"/> <FFBSuspension device="wheel" scale="0.045" thresholdLow="0.06" thresholdHigh="1.0" length="0.1" freq="5" sample="suspensionL1"/> <FFBRevs device="wheel" scale="0.1" thresholdLow="0.1" thresholdHigh="1.2" freqLow="1" freqHigh="20.0" scaleLow="0.2" scaleHigh="0.95" length="0.1" sample="revEffect"/> <FFBSample name="scrapeCollisionLow" wave="9" envelope="61125521121"/> <FFBSample name="scrapeCollisionHigh" wave="9" envelope="98721" channel="1"/> <FFBSample name="smallCollisionLow" wave="9" envelope="986454321"/> <FFBSample name="smallCollisionLow" wave="9" envelope="982312531"/> <FFBSample name="smallCollisionHigh" wave="9" envelope="986454321" channel="1"/> <FFBSample name="smallCollisionHigh" wave="9" envelope="982312531" channel="1"/> <FFBSample name="skidBack" wave="9" envelope="9" channel="0" solo="1"/> <FFBSample name="skidFront" wave="9" envelope="9" channel="1" solo="1"/> <FFBSample name="largeCollisionLow" wave="9" envelope="98675462584" solo="1"/> <FFBSample name="largeCollisionLow" wave="9" envelope="98765432629" solo="1"/> <FFBSample name="largeCollisionHigh" wave="9" envelope="98675462594" channel="1" solo="1"/> <FFBSample name="largeCollisionHigh" wave="9" envelope="98765432628" channel="1" solo="1"/> <FFBSample name="suspensionR1" wave="9" envelope="9564720" channel="0"/> <FFBSample name="suspensionL1" wave="1" envelope="9564720" channel="1"/> <FFBSample name="revEffect" wave="91" envelope="9" channel="1"/> <FFBSample name="smallCollisionWheel" wave="124689" envelope="97654321000"/> <FFBSample name="largeCollisionWheel" wave="5697641345" envelope="9879987542312"/> <FFBSample name="suspensionWheel" wave="64" envelope="9"/> </FFBEffects>"]

pikes peak cars, what a load of poo.. sorry I cant get any type of feel for the steering its snapping all over the place.... Maybe my intial Op was bang on in the first place...

Steering rotaion angle needs looking at

FFB needs looking at

add other cars much later!!

how can we test a game we cant play!

joke!

pikes peak cars, what a load of poo.. sorry I cant get any type of feel for the steering its snapping all over the place.... Maybe my intial Op was bang on in the first place...

FFB needs looking at

joke!
They fixed the bug where steering linearity was screwed up (basically twitchy as hell steering) unless you paused and unpaused at the start. I don't know what they did exactly with the Pikes Peak cars, but I had my wheel set to 540 in Windows and it was twitchy as heck. Upped it to 720 and it feels good now.

FFB needs looking at

joke!

Then give them feedback on what you experience. Its what early access is all about.

hmm maybe the above was a bit harsh now given time with pikes peak..

I just wanna say im not even a PP fan, but im loving it at the moment. The handling is quite anything ive played on loose material.. theres something about the handling that makes it raw.

im sure theres a better feeling now, when u do PP mixed surface you can really feel the grip change.. Im starting to get this title. Im actually really enjoying, it and dam aint PP hard!! lol

hmm maybe the above was a bit harsh now given time with pikes peak..

I just wanna say im not even a PP fan, but im loving it at the moment. The handling is quite anything ive played on loose material.. theres something about the handling that makes it raw.

im sure theres a better feeling now, when u do PP mixed surface you can really feel the grip change.. Im starting to get this title. Im actually really enjoying, it and dam aint PP hard!! lol

And judging by the picture posted somewhere, the proper fast cars are still to come. Namely the Celica and Tacoma.

Codemasters Dirt Rally forum is a joke and the fact is that they are running a dictatorship over there and anyone that isn't politically correct or say something negative about DR gets banned sooner than later.

Their website seems to be made by some amateur and have a search function that nobody understands and the forum is therefore flooded with multiple post with the same subjects.

They certainly deserves a quadruple facepalm !

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 390 12.1%