Regarding car set ups

This is in regard to all sims but I posted in AC as it seems to have the most people interacting, I am competent in racing/driving all the cars but my knowledge of setup is very weak, I would love to be able to change the handling characteristics of the cars but I never know what to do. My knowledge is limited to brake bias, tyre pressures and gear ratios.
My question is, is there somewhere that explains what to alter to get certain results, for example if I wanted better turn in, at the moment I'd just guess add front downforce, alter decel diff, stiffen front, but I really have no idea.

Any help or points in the right direction would be appreciated

Don't get me wrong, it's important to learn about setups to modify the car and make them more driveable and suitable for your own personal style. Absolutely agree.

I just disagree that a single setup will make you 0.5 to 2.5 seconds faster.

In the Driver Academy sessions here at RD new drivers sometimes progress up to 12 seconds on their previous best lap and that is without tweaking a single parameter of the setup. It's driving technique, track and car knowledge and repeat repeat repeat :)

I can understand that you perhaps think the 2.5 seconds was maybe an exaggeration, but i'm assuming you agree that at least 0.5 -1 second can be found in some instances with setup alone?

In the Driver Academy sessions here at RD new drivers sometimes progress up to 12 seconds on their previous best lap and that is without tweaking a single parameter of the setup. It's driving technique, track and car knowledge and repeat repeat repeat :)

Yep, I shaved nearly five seconds off my time by the end of the Academy session, and then a week later actually won an online race with the same car using the default setup. :cool:

I can understand that you perhaps think the 2.5 seconds was maybe an exaggeration, but i'm assuming you agree that at least 0.5 -1 second can be found in some instances with setup alone?

Sure, but you're always going to get the most out of your setup by first putting lots of laps in and learning the car inside and out. Do that first, know you're getting everything out of it, than a good setup can help you shave a bit more off. I think that's what Bram is trying to say, if you're going into a car that you're not very familiar with you're going to gain a lot more speed just by putting seat time in first and then tweaking the setup, rather than just doing a few laps and then hoping some setup changes will net you a few seconds. There are obviously exceptions to this, especially if the car has a rubbish default setup, but for the most part the best way to go faster is to improve the meat in the seat.

Yep, I shaved nearly five seconds off my time by the end of the Academy session, and then a week later actually won an online race with the same car using the default setup. :cool:

Sure, but you're always going to get the most out of your setup by first putting lots of laps in and learning the car inside and out. Do that first, know you're getting everything out of it, than a good setup can help you shave a bit more off. I think that's what Bram is trying to say, if you're going into a car that you're not very familiar with you're going to gain a lot more speed just by putting seat time in first and then tweaking the setup, rather than just doing a few laps and then hoping some setup changes will net you a few seconds. There are obviously exceptions to this, especially if the car has a rubbish default setup, but for the most part the best way to go faster is to improve the meat in the seat.
Some people are fast learners and then there are the slow ones.

I know, what I am talking about was when the car/track combo has been mastered and I am lapping to within 0.2 of my times each lap, at this point I would like to work on setup to get some extra time, my issue is, I can identify what I want to alter in the car but often don't know how/what to adjust to get the desired results

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 345 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 236 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 234 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 296 13.4%