Reduced FFB when pairing Clubsport v2.5 and McLaren GT3 wheel add on or not?

Hello all!
I hear about the fact that when you pair the Clubsport v2.5 with the CSL based McLaren GT3 wheel add on, but I cannot find the stated proof about this.

Want to buy this wheel for my v2.5 but NOT if it can only handle reduced FFB/Torque..

Hope anybody can help ..

BR

Damien

There is a plastic lug that is part of the plastic CSL qr. When that is attached to the rim it engages a microswitch inside the rim that tells the base to lower the output.

IMG_20190819_093231.jpg

IMG_20190819_093104.jpg

The more expensive clubsport qr doesn't have that lug, thus the microswitch isn't engaged and the base will know that it can output higher torque levels.

I know that with the Podium wheelbases, the power is reduced when this switch is engaged. I'm not 100% sure that is the case with the clubsport base though? Perhaps others with more knowledge can help with an answer to that one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm running the McLaren GT3 wheel with the CS 2.5 wheelbase. I run the Porsche 918 rim most of the time and when I recently started to use my McLaren rim I couldn't feel any drop in torque. I've got mine set for the 12 over 8Nm in iRacing which is about as high as it will go. I think the wheel base is capable of 9Nm. I don't have a technical yes/no answer for you, but I couldn't feel any drop off.
20190819_204858.jpg

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 611728

Sorry for interruption, but I have a question about availability of this rim because I cannot find any answers.
When I visited fanatec website 2 months ago I noticed that they were selling mclaren rim for 230euro with clubsport quick release, but now I can only preorder this rim for 179euro with standard QR and wait for it till 30th November. I'm confused, will it be new version of this rim or demand on this rim is so huge that I have to preorder this to get it? Isn't it almost 2 years and the market?

Upvote 0
I ordered earlier this year and they were in stock then. Mine came with the metal Club Sport quick release that I immediately installed.

I have seen them go out of stock after they put them on sale. It's possible they are trying to address the shifter failure issue in a different way before the next production run, or they may simply make them in batches that sell out.

My McLaren rim has never failed, but I've ordered the SRM carbon fiber magnet shifters for it preemptively and because I expect they will feel better.

Upvote 0
I have a csw 2.5 with the csl p1 Alcantara rim. It has the plastic QR and when I use the mclaren rim with the metal Clubsport qr, it's exactly the same ffb strength.

I guess it's only for the DD bases, not for the csw. Or the csl p1 rim doesn't have that little switch inside its plastic qr...

Upvote 0
You are using yours on your SC2 now? Was there much involved in getting that to work?

I haven't had any problems at all with the rim or shifters and didn't have to change anything.

The only problem I had was getting the rim mounted to the qr in a way that I wanted due to the less than ideal design of the first batch qr. Luckily that should be taken care of soon with the revised design qr that is being sent out to us early adopters for free.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 172 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 337 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing