Reduce the weight of your VR headset?

Would it be a good idea to install a cable or cord on the ceiling attached to a spring and that attached to your VR headset so that the perceived weight of it is very much reduced and therefore it feels more comfortable for longer races?

Would it be a good idea to install a cable or cord on the ceiling attached to a spring and that attached to your VR headset so that the perceived weight of it is very much reduced and therefore it feels more comfortable for longer races?
I have a hp reverb g2 and have used a velcro cable tie to move the attachment point closer to the connector, so there is more room to move and the weight of the cable is less.

My idea was not to hold the cable from above, but the headset itself, so that it hangs almost with no gravity. I may do a quick test and see how it feels.

I've often felt the fit was more of an issue than the weight. I've worn helmets (for driving) that have weighed more than the Oculus, but because of their better fit, I could wear them much much longer than I can wear the Oculus.

I tried this weekend, hanging my headset using a thin rope and some springs. The feeling of weightlessness is comfortable. However, as soon as you move your head, you can feel some slight tension, which feels weird. I tried hanging the headset from the front center, from the headband, from the sides... without much difference. The only thing left to try is to use 2 separate ropes from the ceiling, one on the left and one one the right.

Last edited:
The only thing left to try is to use 2 separate ropes from the ceiling, one on the left and one one the right.
After you mentioned you were going to do this, I thought about counter balancing the weight using small pulleys and a bit of non-elastic cord with weight attached at the other end rather than via springs. I have the bits now, just haven't had the time to play.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 90 7.6%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 335 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 465 39.1%