Rediscovering R3E

Hi guys, for some reason R3E slipped under my radar but after playing it the last few days and testing some cars in the store im pretty impressed.
Previous to that i would have had sims like AC,GSCE and iracing as my favourite physics [althought i dont play iracing anymore] at the top of my personal list in terms of physics and ffb.
Recently i fell into the hype trap of pcars, enjoyed it to a point but then after 50 hours of gametime ive come to the conclusion its just too easy to get away with stuff you really shouldnt in real life,good racing game but not a true sim imho.
I had played R3E over a year ago id estimate and didnt give it much time but this time round i have and it just feels good out of the box, the sounds are just incredible, the way you can hear/feel the transmission fight for grip underneath you is just great.
Im probably going to buy some content on steam.
Im just wondering what others who have played the likes of AC,GSCE,rfactor etc feel about R3E physics and ffb?
It seems to be a sim that a lot of people dismiss and dont have on their radar just like myself.

R3E and GSCE are my two most played games. I don't mind the content prices when it's series I enjoy (DTM, WTCC, GT2, etc). The way I see it, I pay $40 a year for Football Manager just for new features and new databases, $60 a year for FIFA for the same, $30 a year for OOTP Baseball, so why not throw $10 for the WTCC14 lineup, $20 or so for the whole DTM14 lineup, and so on. Much like everyone else, I'd rather pay for everything up front and be done with it, but I have much more fun with R3E than AC, PC, rFactor, or just about any other sim short of GSCE, so I'm happy to pay S3S so they can keep the DTM, ADAC, WTCC, and track licenses. The only content I've had the old inner struggle about purchasing was the Group 5 pack just due to the higher price than for the normal packs but the devil on the right shoulder won out and I'm glad he did as those are fun to drive.

I tallied up how much it would cost me for the packs alone (not standalone tracks or cars, just packs) I already own DTM 2013 and 14 so for everything else it would still cost me 118 euros. .

It would not cost you that amount of money! This is important - you shouldn't add the price of each individual pack! With each pack you buy the prices for the other packs gets lowered because they don't charge you twice for the same content. And there are many tracks and cars that are duplicated between different packs, so each time system finds out that you already own something, which is the part of the pack you are going to buy the price of it is being substracted from the price of the pack. Mind that it doesn't work this way when buying from Steam (so you shouldn't buy there more, than one pack, the rest of content you should buy directly in the Raceroom store).

The best and cheapest way to buy content is to buy pack of vRPs here even 35% off - you get the code with which you redeem vRPs in ingame store and this way it gets much chepaer than buying through Steam.

It would not cost you that amount of money! This is important - you shouldn't add the price of each individual pack! With each pack you buy the prices for the other packs gets lowered because they don't charge you twice for the same content. And there are many tracks and cars that are duplicated between different packs, so each time system finds out that you already own something, which is the part of the pack you are going to buy the price of it is being substracted from the price of the pack. Mind that it doesn't work this way when buying from Steam (so you shouldn't buy there more, than one pack, the rest of content you should buy directly in the Raceroom store).

The best and cheapest way to buy content is to buy pack of vRPs here even 35% off - you get the code with which you redeem vRPs in ingame store and this way it gets much chepaer than buying through Steam.
Thanks for clearing that up, that makes more sense, however I still think it's quite expensive (just not as bad as I thought). Even taking into consideration the discounts on content I already own (I worked out the cost when I already own DTM packs, for example) it would cost a lot of money. But yeah, thanks for clarifying and I'm more happy to pick up packs as time goes on and I get some spare money.

Im going to buy the GT3 pack on steam, if i was to buy even just one WTCC 2013 or 2014 from the rr store can i race a full grid of WTCC cars on some tracks from GT3 pack against AI for example?

yes Damien you can. The only time this won't work is for DTM14 as you have to purchase the whole experience. Be advised that WTCC14 only has 17 cars so if you want to race with more than that you're going to have repeat AI drivers. I think WTCC 13 had 23 drivers total (might be mistaken though).

Well having tried to go back to RRE today, I just don't like it. The FFB, the way the car turns in its centre axis. Why did they change all this? It was great previously. Any one got a good setup for the FFB for a T500.

Well having tried to go back to RRE today, I just don't like it. The FFB, the way the car turns in its centre axis.

We must be playing two different games then. I don't understand this reference to the way that car turns. I remember behaviour that you describing (turning around pivot in center of the car) from the old Colin McRae 2.0 days, but I just can't see this in R3E. I always drive from cockpit view, but watching replays it just doesn't look like the way you describe it. Even watching comparisions between PCARS, Assetto Corsa and R3E doesn't show this so I just don't get it.

As for FFB, it is strongly subjective thing and usually requires many hours of tweaking (I'm looking at you PCARS). For me R3E has one of the best FFB available today along with Stock Car Extreme. Better than AC, iRacing and PCARS. I don't judge rFactor2 because I don't have it. But the case may be, that I was just lucky to find settings that are fine for me in R3E, and didn't have the same luck with the others (especially with Project CARS which seems to have incredible potential in FFB field, but its FFB setup is just pure horror and sliders madness and as such is basicly hit and miss (mostly miss).

hey emerson.. you must of read about my hatred for all things rres concerning ffb. I can tell you now, if your running really high lateral and vert forces, don't!!

Everyone at the beginning ran these and they could feel the road and this and that, and totally ignoring the fact that the car had massivel unrealistic centre force alignment.

don't set the lat higher than 100 and the vert higher than 70. then you will get better feeling/ trust me I cant wait to get on rre in a min. So much so I tempted to buy up g5 cars,, can anyone recommend?

hey emerson.. you must of read about my hatred for all things rres concerning ffb. I can tell you now, if your running really high lateral and vert forces, don't!!

Everyone at the beginning ran these and they could feel the road and this and that, and totally ignoring the fact that the car had massivel unrealistic centre force alignment.

don't set the lat higher than 100 and the vert higher than 70. then you will get better feeling/ trust me I cant wait to get on rre in a min. So much so I tempted to buy up g5 cars,, can anyone recommend?
Gr 5 are my fav cars to drive in R3E, but not my fav to race online due to the difficulty level.
Highly recommended for the experience, but if it's close racing you are after you probably should look elsewhere (like WTCC 2013 and 2014).

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 375 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 256 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 304 13.1%