F1 2016 Red Bull Ring (Spielberg) - Austria (Dry)

F1 2016 The Game (Codemasters)

Graham Laing

Retired Staff
setups-700.jpg

Please post your setups for Red Bull Ring (Spielberg) - Austria (Dry) here, bearing in mind our formatting & video rules :-

How to layout your setup in this forum + video rules

Car
Mercedes

Aerodynamics

Front Wing Angle: 5
Rear Wing Angle: 3

Differential
On throttle: 70%
Off throttle: 70%

Suspension Geometry
Front Camber : -2.70
Rear Camber: -1.20
Front Toe: 0.11
Rear Toe : 0.31

Suspension
Front Suspension: 8
Rear Suspension: 4
Front Anti-Roll Bar: 8
Rear Anti-Roll Bar: 4
Front Ride Height: 5
Rear Ride Height: 5

Brakes

Brake Pressure: 85%
Front Brake Bias: 58%

Tyre Pressures

Front Tyre Pressure: 24.2
Rear Tyre Pressure: 22.7

Weight Distribution
Ballast: 11

Notes
**Time Trial Setup** - Full Traction, ABS Brakes, Auto Gears, Xbox Controller (PC)

As much as it's worth, I managed to get 2nd on the leaderboard with a time of 01:07:765 using this setup.

--Do Not Use This For Race Conditions--

Last edited:
Car
Mercedes

Aerodynamics

Differential

Suspension Geometry
Front Camber : -2.70
Rear Camber: -1.20
Front Toe: 0.11
Rear Toe : 0.31

Suspension
Front Suspension: 8
Rear Anti-Roll Bar: 4

Brakes

Brake Pressure: 85%
Front Brake Bias: 58%

Tyre Pressures

Front Tyre Pressure: 24.2
Rear Tyre Pressure: 22.7

Weight Distribution

Notes
**Time Trial Setup** - Full Traction, ABS Brakes, Auto Gears, Xbox Controller (PC)

As much as it's worth, I managed to get 2nd on the leaderboard with a time of 01:07:765 using this setup.
I scored a 1:11.831 using this setup on a Haas car in career mode on the ps4. My big question is...why is everybody taking a Mercedes and posting setups? I thought this was a help forum, to help out fellow members with problems about setups...regardless of what car you're in. Ever since F1 '12 it's always been Mercedes this and Mercedes that...yes this is a complaint

I scored a 1:11.831 using this setup on a Haas car in career mode on the ps4. My big question is...why is everybody taking a Mercedes and posting setups? I thought this was a help forum, to help out fellow members with problems about setups...regardless of what car you're in. Ever since F1 '12 it's always been Mercedes this and Mercedes that...yes this is a complaint

In Time Trial it doesn't matter which car you use as they are all the same. Mercedes happens to be the closest option, it saves me clicking through each time. Really I should put "any", but everyone knows that anyways. As for races, in previous titles I never noticed much difference using a setup in one car over another. Yes, a Marussia is going to be slower than a Ferrari, but it doesn't stop setups from making it quicker.

In early Codemasters F1 games I used Red Bull as they were the #1 team. Use whichever car you like, it's all the same. Also we don't post here to help other people with setups, we post our own setups, other people try them and give feedback. You can tweak the setups if you wish, to work better in race conditions, or for a particular car.

What I would like is feedback regarding tyre wear with my time trial setups. Are people doing races and not tweaking them? Or using them and doing some minor tweaks? I always like to know how tyre wear is and how you convert a TT setup into a race simulation with tyre wear and fuel.

Last edited:
In Time Trial it doesn't matter which car you use as they are all the same. Mercedes happens to be the closest option, it saves me clicking through each time. Really I should put "any", but everyone knows that anyways. As for races, in previous titles I never noticed much difference using a setup in one car over another. Yes, a Marussia is going to be slower than a Ferrari, but it doesn't stop setups from making it quicker.

In early Codemasters F1 games I used Red Bull as they were the #1 team. Use whichever car you like, it's all the same. Also we don't post here to help other people with setups, we post our own setups, other people try them and give feedback. You can tweak the setups if you wish, to work better in race conditions, or for a particular car.

What I would like is feedback regarding tyre wear with my time trial setups. Are people doing races and not tweaking them? Or using them and doing some minor tweaks? I always like to know how tyre wear is and how you convert a TT setup into a race simulation with tyre wear and fuel.
Well explained. I'm a newcomer...I've been here for 2 yrs and all I've ever seen was who gets the best time. With you saying that, it explains a lot more to me. I thank you for the insight and hope to see more setups...regardless of what car it is. I should've noticed it from the beginning. Good example...I used an Xbox setup on a ps4 and it did work. My apologies, if I offended any of the brothers in the race department. I will do my best to be a better part of this brotherhood. It makes sence

Are you absolutely sure that in TT they are the same?

Are you absolutely sure that in TT they are the same?

I can't see why not. In all previous games Time Trial is a place with perfect conditions. No tyre wear, no fuel, perfect grip, and cars were the same as far as I know. I've seen some people use Ferrari for Time Trial and not look any slower than a Mercedes. I would be surprised if Codemasters made the cars different in TT, it wouldn't make sense if they did.

In career mode, and simulated races the cars have different characteristics. There's probably a "Quick Race" on the online mode which makes all cars equal. Time Trial likely follows the same method. It would be a head scratcher if they made other cars slower then Mercedes on a game mode made for perfect conditions to set the best laps. If they did there would be no reason being anything other than Mercedes, but they give us the option of other cars so they all probably copy Mercedes in terms of handling and power. Mercedes is (likely) the "template" for Equal mode.

Last edited:
Career mode uses full simulation so tyre wear, fuel loads, differing track temperatures, and cars are scaled as they are in real-life, with Mercedes being the quickest, Red Bull having better turn-in/less power, and cars like Sauber, Marussia and Renault all being the slowest. Time Trial setups do not suit these conditions.

It's not impossible to use TT setup for a race, the balance should be Ok, but you will lose time down the straights and have more tyre wear. This is because downforce/camber/roll bars (etc) levels are adjusted to have DRS (sometimes twice) for the straights on TT where DRS is guaranteed despite no cars being out on track. You won't get DRS for every lap in race conditions unless you're fighting close in the middle of the pack and can follow others; which is very unlikely. Therefore TT setups need tweaking to compensate for race conditions. I do plan on posting race setups after I completed all TT but it may be some time.

Last edited:
Team
Haas F1 Team

Lap Time
1:08.332

Race Mode
Time Trail

Weather
Dry

Format
Xbox One

Controller Type
Controller

Aerodynamics
Front Wing Aero: 7
Rear Wing Aero: 6

Transmission
Differential Adjustment On Throttle: 68%
Differential Adjustment Off throttle: 70%

Suspension Geometry
Front Camber: -2.50
Rear Camber: -1.00
Front Toe: 0.08
Rear Toe: 0.32

Suspension
Font Suspension: 11
Rear Anti-Roll Bar: 6

Brakes
Brake Pressure: 80%
Front Brake Bias: 62%

Tyres
Front Tyre Pressure: 22.6psi
Rear Tyre Pressure: 20.7psi

Weight Distribution

My Setup/Hotlap
http://www.racedepartment.com/media/videos/austria-gp-haas-f1-team-setup-1-08-332-no-assists.20990/

Last edited by a moderator:

it does matter, which car you use... I think it's only online that cars are the same, in tt cars are different. Try it, same setup two different cars, the one higher up the order will be faster .. Driving style matters a lot thou...

Car
Sauber

Aerodynamics

Differential

Suspension Geometry
Front Camber : -2.50
Rear Camber: -1.00
Front Toe: 0.10
Rear Toe : 0.35

Suspension
Front Suspension: 6
Rear Suspension: 6
Front Anti-Roll Bar: 1
Rear Anti-Roll Bar: 1
Front Ride Height: 6
Rear Ride Height: 6

Brakes

Brake Pressure: 80%
Front Brake Bias: 64%

Tyre Pressures

Front Tyre Pressure: 23.8
Rear Tyre Pressure: 22.3

Weight Distribution
Ballast: 6

Notes
*Race Setup* - TT setup was severe on tyres, and I couldn't get out of the Red. After tweaking a lot, I still couldn't find my way to the Purple. The change in front brake bias helped a lot, before that I was getting something similar to Baku; severe tyre wear under braking and out of certain corners. With these changes I was able to get "Perfect", but I really had to earn it. The TT setup was not good for acclimatisation either.

I found that sometimes you have too much fuel when you do a lap in qualifying with the lowest amount possible in the tank. In Canada I got on the front row by doing a drive out lap, a very slow warm up lap, then going all out on the flying lap with the Rich setting. I did the same thing here, and I qualified on Pole Position only 0.03 seconds in front of Lewis, and 0.04 seconds in front of Rosberg. Quite possibly the closest qualifying session I've ever seen between three drivers.

The race was crazy fun. I had the pace of the Mercs. They spent a lot of the race fighting each other, getting stuck behind Toro Rossos' and other cars while I found my way through nicely. My 2nd stint was cut short because my Soft (prime) wore down really fast (either that or it was an old set). I was meant to pit on Lap 40, but ended up doing so on lap 30 as the Mercs were hanging on to my rear wing.

I thought I had lost out. I came out on Supersofts in clear air, passed Massa, passed Vettel, passed Verstappen. Safety car came out, I was near the pits so I jumped in for Ultras. It meant I had to do 20-ish laps on a tyre which goes off the cliff around 15. I came back out in second behind three backmarkers and Rosberg.

After the safety car I flew past the backmarkers and chased Nico. Got past Nico as he was on Softs, and I was on new Ultras. Made a gap, put it in "Lean" mode to get some fuel back for the last few laps. Nico started catching me as my tyres were getting bad. He pitted three laps from the end! My tyres were almost dead.

Nico managed to get the gap down from 20 seconds to just 5 by the last lap. I limped home with my front left tyre on 90% wear after 20+ laps to claim my second win of the season. I think the setup has everything you need to get the best out of your race. Sorry for the article, but a lot happened on this race weekend.

Last edited:
Car
Renault

Condition
Dry

Career
25%

Aero

Trans.

Sus Geo

Sus

Brake

Tyres

Weight

Notes:
Done on the ps4, with the controller, in Career mode. Damn good setup. I'm getting around 1:10.5

Team
Williams

Lap Time
1:08.583

Race Mode
Career on expert in qualifying

Weather
Dry

Format
PS4

Controller Type
Controller