Red Bull Racing Using Traction Control?

[youtube]
The famous Italian motorsports magazine Autosprint claims that Red Bull Racing might be using traction control on their Formula 1 cars.

Everything starts with this video showing the accident between Mark Webber and Giedo Van der Garde at the Canadian Grand Prix. The RB9 leaves strange tyre mark traces on the tarmac while accelerating out of the corner, like if there was something controlling how the car puts the power on the ground.

Autosprint talks openly about two possible explanations to this phenomenon. The simplest one is that the Red Bull Racing cars are using electronic aids on their cars, but they also speculate with the possibility of vibrations in the suspension derived from the collision as the cause of this periodical skid marks. What do you think?
View the Post on the Blog

Honestly I don't think there's much in it. If this was a consistent thing, surely people would notice every time they do burnouts on the warm up lap. The exit to that hairpin is really bumpy too so that'd be my bet as to what caused it

Its pretty dubious, as already said by other members.

Saying that hell it coud be anything, possibly to do with engine mapping, bumpy exit out of the hairpin, or just the knock Webber took.

Must be a slow news day.

Hmmmm, I examined the footage at the 10,11 and 12 second mark, and it does look unusual, in the 10 sec frame there are 2 full distinct tyre/tire marks from wheel spin, but in the 11sec frame the marks become intermittent after the rear crosses over the distinct line in the road surface, the fact that the rears are already in full spin when it crosses over the line in the tarmac would not cause it to bounce (wheel hop) for the 3 to 4 metres/yards that it produces the intermittent marks for, unless it is a substantial bump in the surface, which doesn't seem to be the case. I also doubt it's a result of the small impact with Van Der Garde as Webbers cars has already settled prior to him accelerating and the rear spinning up. Hard to say if it's TC or not really, but it doesn't look like normal rear end behavior from my point of view.

If its anything at all I suspect its to do with their engine mapping, Red Bull got in hot water in Germany last season by the FIA to do with their engine mapping mimicking TC.

Another week, another Red Bull conspiracy theory. Surprise surprise.

Let it go, guys. If you know what traction control actually does, you'd realise that there will be no tire marks at all.

Isn't that just a very bumpy part of the track? Not sure how traction control used to work on F1's but on my road car TC does what it should: give traction and certainly not create any wheel spin that leaves tire mark traces :)

G5NWo4M.jpg
6GaWHI9.jpg

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 119 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 162 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 304 27.6%