Red Bull / Honda in 2019 Engine Discussions

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Honda Red Bull Talks.jpg

Somewhat inevitably Red Bull are starting to flirt with Japanese engine supplier Honda for 2019, potentially giving the former champions a works engine deal for the very first time...

Ok so a partnership with Honda didn't work out all that well for former bed mates McLaren, yet 2018 is looking much more respectable with the once great brand strapped into the back of the small Toro Rosso outfit. Points paying performances have been semi regular thanks to the performances of the outstanding rookie Pierre Gasly, and reliability appears to be much improved over the course of the opening portion of the new season.

So with some positive trends beginning to form, is it the right time for Red Bull to engage in a relationship with the legendary engine manufacturer? Maybe, maybe not.

Red Bull once found themselves as a powerhouse Formula One team with Sebastian Vettel and Renault, winning four World Championships on the trot between 2010 and 2013, however performances have dropped considerably since then, with just the occasional race victory to show for the efforts of the British / Austrian outfit in the years that followed.

Red Bull now think that the key to a return to the very top of the pile is an alignment with a works manufacturer, and they seem to be impressed with Honda so much that talks reportedly began last weekend at Baku, and look set to continue further as the European season kicks off at Barcelona in just under two weeks time.

If the talks materialise into something solid, and if Red Bull find themselves with Honda power next year remains to be seen. But one thing is for sure, the Milton Keynes based team are still searching for ways to bring the once dominant outfit back to the very forefront of the grid once again...

If you like your motorsport fast and open wheeled, check out the Formula One sub forum and get yourself in on the discussion today!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Do you think a Red Bull / Honda partnership can unlock the former winning streak for RBR? Can the team again dominate Grand Prix racing? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
They won't be signing with Renault in 2021 in my opinion. So maybe they will try to be a "works" team with the Honda engine from 2019-2021 IF it somehow is reliable and at least as powerful as the Renault engine in 2018 in the Toro Rosso. They might calculate with Aston Martin/other new engine producers with the new ruleset in 2021, so what do they have to loose? I do not think that they are anywhere near the Ferrari or Mercedes in 2018 onwards. 3rd might be all they can get in the constructors with Renault.

They will have to change the chassis to make the engine fit and this would change the entire composition.
So it is worth the risk?

Renault and Red Bull racing together in Baku, and both teams not that far from Ferrari and Mercedes. I don't see how Red Bull jumping to Honda can be an improvement at this point, unless they are truly interested in losing Ricciardo an promoting from within. If I were Red Bull, I would need some guaranteed performance criteria, and monetary penalties if they are not met.

It makes sense Renault want to be competitive and there is also McLaren in the mix with resorces so Redbull will no longer a priority for Renault

Renault will soon be holding back a bit of info now they have their FIA man Marcin Budkowski on board

Redbull already use different fuel compared to Renault .Renault say they will be getting some engine performance boost at the Spanish Grand Prix from fuel upgrade BP/Castrol. Redbull use ExxonMobil .

Mclaren use the same fuel as Renault so we'll see if there is any significant performance difference, if Renalt or Mclaren start beating Redbull then..................

Last edited:
They will have to change the chassis to make the engine fit and this would change the entire composition.
So it is worth the risk?
The Honda engine is both smaller and lighter than the Renault engine, they could quite easily leave the car as it is and just stick the honda in the spot where the renault was.

They'll probably just use the opportunity to make their car even more skinny than it already is this year

I think the way things go round in F1 Honda could possibly have a Mercedes moment in a few years, Merc as a factory outfit would of left (full time works team in FE?).
Red Bull have done this either to get Renault to work faster, or they know stuff....

I think the way things go round in F1 Honda could possibly have a Mercedes moment in a few years, Merc as a factory outfit would of left (full time works team in FE?).
Red Bull have done this either to get Renault to work faster, or they know stuff....

I don't often agree with you but I do here. Maybe a little idle threat / gossip to motivate Renault. Maybe everyone will field a FE team before long?

Think they shouldn't change engine yet for next year, honda is still unproven, renault engine obviously lacks something but proved decent.

Atm who's throwing away points at red bull is mainly verstappen, if you consider all potential points lost he'd be up there with hamilton, ricciardo lost points cause of verstappen and a reliability issue, but it's not sure they wouldn't have reliability issues also with honda, on top of lack of performance.

Redbull already use different fuel compared to Renault .Renault say they will be getting some engine performance boost at the Spanish Grand Prix from fuel upgrade BP/Castrol. Redbull use ExxonMobil .

Mclaren use the same fuel as Renault so we'll see if there is any significant performance difference, if Renalt or Mclaren start beating Redbull

Next year McLaren will use Petrobas fuels so their benefits could be lost too. I'm sure a sample or two will make it's way across for analysis though! ;)

Red Bull were always going to jump to Honda for 2019. Renault said last year around the time they announced McLaren as a partnership than they no longer wanted to supply Red Bull after this contract runs out, seems to have been quickly forgotten.

Paddock rumors again!
Bit early in the season for the usual suspects, but of course, RBR should be watching how STR and Honda gel with great interest.

Honda seems to have gotten their unreliability under control so far this season.
Gasly's 4th...while staying ahead of more than just a Renault powered cars, may be enough for RBR to take a serious look.
With the right software development, that package may be just the 'ticket' to propel RBR closer to the sharp end.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back