Red Bull Confirms Honda Power for F1 2019

What've we had this year... one, maybe two Honda PU failures?
That number is down significantly from the McLaren partnership days.
RBR essentially sat back and let McLaren test as the guinea pig.
I too, think it may be the smartest move going forward.
An F1 car doesn't only consist of the ICE.
All the other elements of software governing the coupling between that, the hybrid drive unit and the MGUs count massively.
No factory-teamed engine supplier will give their competition all the secrets uncovered...despite what they may say.
Honda on the other hand has to. It is the only way to ensure success for their engine program.

Last edited:
https://au.sports.yahoo.com/red-bull-confirm-huge-change-shape-ricciardos-future-072818014.html
I don't think Dan Ric will stay, Ferrari seems logical, even though the prancing horse has suggested otherwise, F1 is a cat & mouse game at best and for Ferrari to have Seb & Dan driving could only further guarantee the constructors champ and drivers champ being dominated by them for the next few seasons imo.
It remains to be seen how much Vettel has influence in Ferrari to say veto or not the hiring of Ricciardo, after all good to remember that Daniel gave a beautiful beating in 2014 in Vettel on RedBull

Where are we?
Only half way through the season........:roflmao:
Renault have been pushing RBR to 'make a decision by XYZ date' so this shouldn't come as a surprise.
Honda are committed to winning sooner rather than later, so this should be the way forward.
As for where Rickydoo ends up, only he knows, IMHO perhaps this move might be a good reason to stay put, he certainly would be a good fit with Honda.
The best move RBR could make to ensure the Honda-RBR partnership works would be the dismissal of the toxic Helmut Marko.

It remains to be seen how much Vettel has influence in Ferrari to say veto or not the hiring of Ricciardo, after all good to remember that Daniel gave a beautiful beating in 2014 in Vettel on RedBull
Agreed, but there's no driver alive that can dictate to Ferrari to the point they would overlook the potential for a one two finish in the WDC, and it's because of Dans ability to take it to Seb that makes it even more of a worth while signing. I guess we will just have to watch and see whether Dan lands a new seat, or remains with RBR.

I think everyone's been surprised by the McLaren Honda separation.

Unfortunately your opinion has not much to do with reality.

Everyone was surprised by the McLaren Honda breakup? Seriously? After how many DNFs due to engine related issues? Amazing statement. :)

The lines McLaren were able to spurt about their chassis being one of the best and the engine being the worst now look to be somewhat exaggerated.

Again, after HOW MANY DNFs due to engine trouble or having to tune the engine down for it to last since the beginning of their relationship? With all due respect, your argument would almost be hilarious if it weren't tragic.

And the sheer fact that Honda are still here, after all the negativity, shows a heck of a commitment.

Commitment doesn't necessarily equal results. The decision to drop Honda was based on results, just as the decision to drop a football player is based on how many goals he scores. Funny principle for a corporate sponsored team, I'll admit.

As for the Mclaren - Honda divorce, here's an idea of why it wasn't such a surprise for most.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...10-defining-moments-of-the-failed-partnership

Unfortunately your opinion has not much to do with reality.

The reality that McLaren are the lowest placed of the 3 Renault engined cars in the constructors table?

The reality of the comparison of McLaren's prediction of podum finishes and their actual results?

The reality that Toro Rosso Honda have suffered 1 technical failure during a race in 2018, McLaren Renault have suffered 3?

Maybe Honda just got a lot better between the end of 2017 and the start of 2018 and maybe McLaren just got a lot worse in the same timeframe. Or maybe it's a little less black and white than that.

That's the reality I see.

The reality that McLaren are the lowest placed of the 3 Renault engined cars in the constructors table?

The reality of the comparison of McLaren's prediction of podum finishes and their actual results?

The reality that Toro Rosso Honda have suffered 1 technical failure during a race in 2018, McLaren Renault have suffered 3?

Maybe Honda just got a lot better between the end of 2017 and the start of 2018 and maybe McLaren just got a lot worse in the same timeframe. Or maybe it's a little less black and white than that.

That's the reality I see.
The reality is by race 3 this yar, McLaren was just 2 points shy of their 2017 points. 3 races vs 20 races.
The reality is Alonso is 7th in the driver standings, ie "best of the rest". Yes Renault is in front in the manufacturers' standings, but it's due to an underperforming Vandoorne.
The reality is, it takes reliability AND performance for an engine to be useful. You talk about mechanical failures, but you conveniently forget the rest.

Because 15th and 16th in the standings last year, 5 engines gone at Bahrain alone, multiple races not started because of engine issues, 15-20 kph down on the straights, that was better maybe ?

First year, Honda couldn't get it right. Second year, still didn't get it right. Third year, their performance and reliability was worse than year two. How many years McLaren were they going to wait until got their act together ?
Consider it this way. Your girlfriend cheats on you multiple times. How many times are you forgiving her ? With the girlfriend it would be like "i'll never cheat again", with Honda, it was always "it'll be better next year".
Honda came back to win, and last time I checked, they aren't exactly setting the world on fire this year either.

McLaren was getting free engines, and they still didn't get their money's worth.
I've seen delusional people with blinkers, but you are topping that.

The tag heur engine is not far off the pace and they've been more than making up for the deficit of power with the chassis on some tracks. Seems like a strange decision to drop it now -- honda is far worse and years off.
Ricardo to merc -- no way will vettelle drive with DR after getting hammered in 2014.

Why not take it out of equation altogether, make Formula 1 fairer, cheaper, much closer
battles. Rather then horsepower have it all about chassis and driver, that is what a constructors championship should be

Engine manufactures combined forces to make the Ultimate F1 engine, they still share the recognition and licence for technology for their road cars, whats the big deal.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back