[Red Bull Air Race] 2011 series cancelled worldwide

I've just heard on the radio that next year's Red Bull Air Race World Series has been completely cancelled. Apparently the organisers haven't given a clear reason yet... anyone have any more information? This is very strange.

Okay, I've just seen a report about it on the news (it's pretty big here in Perth, as we hosted a round of the series from 2006). Apparently they're "taking a year off" to look at safety standards and the organisation of the series.

Yet again, very strange...

yeah well it can't be because of redbull because if they are losing money then air racing finds a new sponsor.it might be because of issues with the series like the cost to go to racing areas or for the airplanes etc.

There is no doubt that maintaining and upgrading a racing plane is a serious amount of money, then adding worldwide travel to that is huge. I guess it will come down to finding a more efficient way of transporting all the goods and people around the world. Hopefully they will sort whatever it is that is giving them the issues and get back on track for 2011.

I've watched it for many years and been to a couple of events. I've really seen it grow in quality and popularity in a way that only ever seems to happen in sports where Red Bull is involved. I think it can be bigger and better in the future and maybe that is the reason for the break. It would be understandable if the feel the need to shuffle the deck and rules etc enough to need a break.

Hopefully this will be a shake up like the FIA GT1 this year, and they are designing the series in a way which will aid it's growth going forward.

There is no doubt that maintaining and upgrading a racing plane is a serious amount of money, then adding worldwide travel to that is huge. I guess it will come down to finding a more efficient way of transporting all the goods and people around the world. Hopefully they will sort whatever it is that is giving them the issues and get back on track for 2011.

I've watched it for many years and been to a couple of events. I've really seen it grow in quality and popularity in a way that only ever seems to happen in sports where Red Bull is involved. I think it can be bigger and better in the future and maybe that is the reason for the break. It would be understandable if the feel the need to shuffle the deck and rules etc enough to need a break.

Hopefully this will be a shake up like the FIA GT1 this year, and they are designing the series in a way which will aid it's growth going forward.

Hope your right Dave, I've been to a couple of the events over the years and love them, skill levels are off the scale as are adrenalin and style! its top stuff and will be missed :-(

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 287 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 193 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 250 13.4%