F1 2012 Recording

F1 2012 The Game (Codemasters)
I own FRAPs and Playclaw, but my current favourite is DxTory ( www.dxtory.com ), Bandicam is quite good too. There is another one called 'Action', but I haven't used it for ages, so can't comment on it now.

The good thing about DxTory is striping (much like a RAID array). You can record direct to an .avi anyway (one single file), like the other programs, but if you want, you can use striping, where you can save to multiple drives at the same drive (RAW format), and use as many drives as you want. This eliminates any one drive 'choking' because too much data is being transferred and it can't cope (or the controller can't cope) for some reason. For high bit rates it reduces the chances of frame drops and stuttering.

Like a RAID, the captured video data is sent as a chunk (or perhaps a frame), to one drive, then the next bit to the second drive, and the third bit to a third drive, and so on, depending on how many drives are setup. Naturally in the 3 drive setup above, after the 3rd drive it goes back to the first drive.

The software has an in-build facility to preview the video in it's currrent RAW format, and then to compile the video as one .avi file to another drive perhaps (your choice).

Currently I stripe to 2 drives, and compile (reassemble) the final video to a 3rd drive.

PS. There is no use in striping to 2 partitions on the same drive.

I don't think this game saves a usable replay file.

The file location would be here, and my folder is empty :-

C:\Users\YourName\Documents\My Games\FormulaOne2012\replays

Even previous releases had a pretty obscure way of using that file when it did exist. I think it used to be a 1 to 2 GB file. Personally I never got their method working.

EDIT:

Here is the old F1 2010 method for producing and replaying replay files. You can give this method a try and see if it works. The folder I mention above is for Windows 7/8. The method below is quoting the old Windows XP folders, so adjust as necessary. :)

Recording replays
To record replays you will need to run F1 2010 with a command line option.
Create a new shortcut.
You can do this by right-clicking on your desktop, selecting ‘New’ and select ‘Shortcut’
Click Browse and navigate to your F1 2010 installation folder.
The default location is C:\Program Files\Codemasters\F1 2010\
Select the ‘f1_2010.exe’ and click ‘Ok’
Add the command ‘-savereplay’ on the end of the shortcut location and click ‘Next’
Name the shortcut e.g. ‘F1 2010 (Saves Replays) and click ‘Finish’.
Just double-click the shortcut and all replays will automatically be saved to ‘My Documents\My Games\FormulaOne\replays’
Playing replays videos
To view saved replays you will need to run F1 2010 with a command line option.
Create a new shortcut.
You can do this by right-clicking on your desktop, selecting ‘New’ and select ‘Shortcut’
Click Browse and navigate to your F1 2010 installation folder.
The default location is C:\Program Files\Codemasters\F1 2010\
Select the ‘f1_2010.exe’ and click ‘Ok’
Add the command ‘-replayui’ on the end of the shortcut location and click ‘Next’
Note: Do not add the ‘-savereplay’ option as this will stop you from viewing your previously recorded replays.
Name the shortcut e.g. ‘F1 2010 (Play Replays) and click ‘Finish’.
Open Windows Explorer and navigate to ‘My Documents\My Games\FormulaOne\replays’
You can do this by selecting ‘Start’ and ‘My Documents’ or by pressing the windows key and ‘e’
To play your replay, just drag the ‘.f1replay’ file onto your new shortcut
Important: Before saving replays, make sure you have lots of free disk space as even short races can quickly exceed sizes of 500mb and more.

I don't think this game saves a usable replay file.

The file location would be here, and my folder is empty :-

C:\Users\YourName\Documents\My Games\FormulaOne2012\replays

Even previous releases had a pretty obscure way of using that file when it did exist. I think it used to be a 1 to 2 GB file. Personally I never got their method working.

EDIT:

Here is the old F1 2010 method for producing and replaying replay files. You can give this method a try and see if it works. The folder I mention above is for Windows 7/8. The method below is quoting the old Windows XP folders, so adjust as necessary. :)

Thanks, Gnu. I''l give it a shot!!

Apart from short videos, the bitrate is too high with fraps, using roughly 4 GB per minute of video. So 30 mins = 120GB. When you do even longer videos it can become a problem.

At least the other programs have the option to use difference colour space and levels of compression, and still keeping a pretty high bitrate. In this case anything from 1.5 to 4.0 GB per minute.

DxTory in highest compression mode, captured in YUV410, still has a bitrate of 310 Mbps, which is a huge bitrate, and is around 2.15 GB per minute. I compress this to x264 AVC @ 12 Mbps for you-tube HD 1080p.

Oh .... and FRAPs doesn't work on Windows 8 (The installer crashes or freezes the system)

I too can vouch for DXtory. I've tried FRAPS in the past & find it quite cumbersome compared to DXtory. FRAPS always lowered my frame rate significantly whereas DXtory doesn't. Probably depends on different systems but I find this the best so far ...

Another factor to consider is that Fraps still has it's archaic capture in full frame, half frame, and quarter frame. These are not practical multiples when you want 1080p and 720p or any other size, we need flexibility when capturing whilst maintaining aspect ratio.

This can save you rendering time, because there is no need to use resize filters.

I am not anti-fraps ...... it just needs to catch up with the rest. It was only in recent builds that they finally stopped splitting files into 4 GB chunks (for legacy support of FAT32), now it's an option instead. How long have we been using NTFS?

I have Fraps to and btw it works in Win8

Not on my Windows 8 x64 it doesn't. I can't run the installer (V. 3.59). Just right clicking on the installer will freeze my system, and I have to press the reset button, as I lose all control.

Because I cannot right click on the icon, I cannot set any run options. I never use UAC on my PC's, and the virus checker is not effecting it either.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 86 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 63 9.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 69 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 42 6.2%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 93 13.8%