DiRT Rally Recording

hi again,
i tried recording with Fraps a replay from last event as it was quite good specially that the night stage a did half of it without any lights:) but i have a huge problem.
The recording is like a timelaps 1sec working then freeze and then 1-2sec working then freeze again...any idea what is going on?
Nvidia gtx980 latest drivers and game resolution at 3840 x 2160 everything at max and the pc is also quite good
should i try a dif program camtasia or shadowplay?
thank you

4k, DiRT rally, FRAPS is usually not a good idea. 1080p should work perfectly.
Shadowplay tends to f. up the video-audio sync if it's not kept on a stable 60fps recording. (even 1fps up or down for the tiniest amount of time makes things out of sync!).

Hi Mr C wifey and i do a lot of streaming these days and we use OBS, the recording side is also amazing, very low on resources and the file sizes are tiny compared to Fraps, take a look its free.
Hope you are keeping well and all is good with you.

I would suggest looking at DxTory as capturing software.

It has the ability to capture the video and 'stripe' the captured frame across multiple drives. It's bit like RAID 0 when it comes to hard drives, where the data is striped to 2 drives to increase speed.

You can capture normally to one drive if you want, but if you are capturing high resolution fast video you can set it to spread the load, so you don't choke a single hard drive, where it's struggling to write the data fast enough

If I capture racing videos then I 'stripe' it to 2 drives, but I do have more hard drives installed so I can capture to 3, 4, 5, or 6 drives if I want.

So with 3 drives it would something like :-

Drive 1 - Frames 1, 4, 7,10,13 etc.
Drive 2 - Frames 2, 5, 8, 11, 14 etc.
Drive 3 - Frames 3, 6, 9, 12, 15 etc.

When you've finished recording you get the software to combine the 3 files together into one huge .avi. After that you use standard processing software to compress the video into an mp4 or mkv or any other container of choice.

Generally I never capture to SSD (though I have 2), because the SSD's have a finite life, and it's the writing of data to SSD's that reduces it's life.

I must be down to hardware variations I guess, or perhaps you haven't tried installing some alternative codecs, as Dxtory has always worked great for me, right through from W7 to W10.

I use UtVideo YUV422 codec, Lagarith, and Packbit codecs. Packbit is supplied by the Dxtory team as an additional download. I use UtVideo (most of the time) because it is supported by Sony Vegas which I use for editing. Sony Vegas then frameserve's the edited video into MeGui to do the final compressed video.

Mirillis Action! is another good one, but I can't get it to initialise and run on Windows 10, though it worked fine on Windows 8.1.

Well not quite true, it worked on W8, it worked just fine when upgrading to W8.1. After a complete re-install of W8.1 it stopped working, and this has continued into W10. :mad:

Last edited:
Yeah it can get complicated and depends on your needs, do you want to edit the video before you convert it to an mp4 for example?

For most people they just want to capture their game play directly, no editing, no further steps. This is where Action!, NVidia's ShadowPlay, AMD's Raptr, or MSI Afterburner can come into play, and maybe more appropriate. Most of those are free too :)

Well, I edit the Fraps files, ShadowPlay is always out of sync for me, so screw that one!
smiley-angry019.gif

If you can edit Fraps files, then you can edit Action, Dxtory, Afterburner, Bandicam, Playclaw and Xfire files, to name a few ;) :whistling:

Fraps are about the biggest files of the lot .....

Space is not an issue, still got a couple of TB :)
Now, my problem with dxtory was that I didn't get it to record, except for low quality, so I kinda stuck with Fraps, as I got that work, and file issue isn't a problem :) Will check some other programs as well though, always good to have more stuff to choose from :)

Just an added note here, two months later

I bought Dirt Rally a couple of days ago ......... and currently I cannot get DXtory to work with it.

So I'll be going through my other options starting with Action! ....... :cautious:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 70 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 139 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 265 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 377 39.5%