DiRT Rally Recording

hi again,
i tried recording with Fraps a replay from last event as it was quite good specially that the night stage a did half of it without any lights:) but i have a huge problem.
The recording is like a timelaps 1sec working then freeze and then 1-2sec working then freeze again...any idea what is going on?
Nvidia gtx980 latest drivers and game resolution at 3840 x 2160 everything at max and the pc is also quite good
should i try a dif program camtasia or shadowplay?
thank you

Test capture @ 1080p with Mirillis Action!

Rendered by MEGUI - Video x264, Audio AAC - Video rendered using constant rate factor (crf 23)

Warning ...... learner rally driver! (or how not to do it) :whistling:

Captured video into 4.7 GB avi :-

Code:
Video
ID  : 0
Format  : FICV
Codec ID  : FICV
Duration  : 5mn 24s
Bit rate  : 119 Mbps
Width  : 1 920 pixels
Height  : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio  : 16:9
Frame rate  : 30.000 fps
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)  : 1.915
Stream size  : 4.50 GiB (99%)

Final render for upload to You Tube 493 MB mp4 :-

Code:
Video
ID                          : 1
Format                      : AVC
Format/Info                 : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile              : Main@L4
Format settings, CABAC      : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames   : 4 frames
Codec ID                    : avc1
Codec ID/Info               : Advanced Video Coding
Duration                    : 5mn 24s
Bit rate                    : 12.3 Mbps
Maximum bit rate            : 18.4 Mbps
Width                       : 1 920 pixels
Height                      : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio        : 16:9
Frame rate mode             : Constant
Frame rate                  : 30.000 fps
Color space                 : YUV
Chroma subsampling          : 4:2:0
Bit depth                   : 8 bits
Scan type                   : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)          : 0.198
Stream size                 : 476 MiB (99%)
Writing library             : x264 core 148 r2638 7599210
Encoding settings           : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x1:0x111 / me=hex / subme=6 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / lookahead_threads=2 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=300 / keyint_min=30 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=23.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Last edited:
Personally I would go for 5000 - 7000 for 720p, and 7000 - 10000 for 1080p

Really the highest you can comfortably go (bitrate & filesize) before uploading, and then you-tube gets a hold of it and re-encodes it to a lower bitrate. :)

Downloaded this OBS Software seems to work ok quality quite good when played on PC.
Set bitrate to 9000 and using nvidia codec as suggested.
Uploaded to YouTube quality reduced down to 360p.

How do I upload to YouTube and keep high res i.e 1080p
Edit:- odd playing at 1080p on here.
Edit:- Did a recording using Shadowplay and quality was identical to OBS.
Shadow uses H264 and saves in MP4 format only thing is loading shadowplay takes ages.
Not uploaded this one to YouTube yet.

Last edited:
You tube takes time to render it at 1080p.

If you uploaded @ 1080p, the moment they finish rendering it's only 360p. They carrying on working on the file and produce 480p, then 720p, and finally 1080p (or higher if you have a special account).

It all depends on how busy the rendering servers are before you get to watch in 1080p.

The only problem with shadowplay and the AMD equivalent, is that they are compressing to mp4 (x264) immedately as the video is being captured (no editing). The quality is just OK IMHO, and all right for most people for gaming videos.

I do it differently, I capture the video at around 120 Mbits (in my example above that's a 4.7 GB file), do my editing on that big file, then compress it to x264 (mp4 or mkv) average 10Mbits, then upload that to you-tube. That final video I uploaded to you-tube was almost 500 MB

Last edited:
You tube takes time to render it at 1080p.

If you uploaded @ 1080p, the moment they finish rendering it's only 360p. They carrying on working on the file and produce 480p, then 720p, and finally 1080p (or higher if you have a special account).

It all depends on how busy the rendering servers are before you get to watch in 1080p.

The only problem with shadowplay and the AMD equivalent, is that they are compressing to mp4 (x264) immedately as the video is being captured (no editing). The quality is just OK IMHO, and all right for most people for gaming videos.

I do it differently, I capture the video at around 120 Mbits (in my example above that's a 4.7 GB file), do my editing on that big file, then compress it to x264 (mp4 or mkv) average 10Mbits, then upload that to you-tube. That final video I uploaded to you-tube was almost 500 MB
Thanks, I don't have a special account.
Are you using OBS,if so can you post your settings for it please? How do you set it to 120 Mbits? My file size for the above video was no where near that size and was not edited before posting

Thanks, I don't have a special account.
Are you using OBS,if so can you post your settings for it please? How do you set it to 120 Mbits? My file size for the above video was no where near that size and was not edited before posting
I don't use OBS, I don't even know what it is ...... :)

As I said above, I am using Mirillis Action! above, usually I use Dxtory for every other game, but I can't get it to work with Dirt Rally.

Special aco****? O.o I can upload in 4K, I don't think I have a special account.

Oh, I think it used to be a special account, when 4k wasn't used that much, it was for popular channels initially I think

Both my monitors are 1080p, so I don't capture any higher. Though I could play in 4k and scale it down to 1080p for the monitor via the AMD Radeon Crimson App (Virtual Super Resolution)

EDIT: I know what OBS is now. However I have no wish to use it :)

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back