Recording software

Hi all,

I'd like to record my driving games and I wondered if anyone does this and which software you use. I've Googled it and there seems to be a lot of free or cheap software but I don't really know which one's best. I don't want to see my ugly mug like you see on YouTube, just the game itself.

Thanks for any help :)

Ben.

Yeah Radeon uses ReLive part of its software. Software part is pretty good, but its let down by the hardware encoder AMD uses.

However OBS studio is the best way to record and stream, worth giving it some time and experimenting. Its free software and there are many guides on youtube.

AMD GPUs aren't great at recording video as the built in encoder is far worse than Nvidias, not unusable just you might be dissapointed. So you might have better results using OBS with CPU encoding if your CPU is upto the job, and were talking minimum 8 core, 12 core CPU and up for best results. You want to use the 'Fast' preset minimum if you can.

This is one of the reasons many streamers use a 2 PC setup as you encode on CPU on one machine while the other machine is just running the game unaffected.

Yeah Radeon uses ReLive part of its software. Software part is pretty good, but its let down by the hardware encoder AMD uses.

However OBS studio is the best way to record and stream, worth giving it some time and experimenting. Its free software and there are many guides on youtube.

AMD GPUs aren't great at recording video as the built in encoder is far worse than Nvidias, not unusable just you might be dissapointed. So you might have better results using OBS with CPU encoding if your CPU is upto the job, and were talking minimum 8 core, 12 core CPU and up for best results. You want to use the 'Fast' preset minimum if you can.

This is one of the reasons many streamers use a 2 PC setup as you encode on CPU on one machine while the other machine is just running the game unaffected.
Oh cool, thanks a lot for the info, that's really helpful :) I'll have a play around and see how I get on!

OBS.

I've used it to capture replays as I play them back and I think people stream with it as well.

You can specify source signal (eg. which monitor), quality settings and encoder methods in case you want to use your main GPU to encode (probably not a good idea), Intel integrated GPU or even software based (CPU).

I used my integrated Intel GPU in my Intel CPU as it can use 'QuickSync' for encoding without putting any load on my CPU or main GPU.

I think it's got a lot of features and it's free!

OBS.

I've used it to capture replays as I play them back and I think people stream with it as well.

You can specify source signal (eg. which monitor), quality settings and encoder methods in case you want to use your main GPU to encode (probably not a good idea), Intel integrated GPU or even software based (CPU).

I used my integrated Intel GPU in my Intel CPU as it can use 'QuickSync' for encoding without putting any load on my CPU or main GPU.

I think it's got a lot of features and it's free!
That's brill, thanks a lot for the help :) Yeah it deffo looks like OBS is the way to go

I know I am old and dumb, but sweet jesus OBS is horrible to set up. Once running it seems great, but that interface. Damn.
Yeah I know what you mean, that's pretty much par for the course with open source software though and deffo worth perservering. I managed to record a decent quality video of me doing terribly in the wet around Donington!

It may look unexciting but its by far the most versatile and works with millions of plugins.
Didn't really think its hard to use especially if you used to photoshop or whatever.
Also if you invest in something like an Elgato streamdeck and some time setting it up you can automate much of it with simple buttons to do stuff on the fly, start / stop recording, start / stop stream, change scenes, audio channels etc etc.

I use OBS for game capture, screen capture, VR capture, webcams, a DSLR camera, and 2nd PC capture card recording. It's fantastically versatile. Watching a couple of OBS setup videos will get you started and past the learning curve of knowing which settings you need to understand. It's not very complicated really.

Yeah, I needed some footage (for a non-sim :confused:) lately and took the plunge and installed OBS, cos I couldn't stomach the idea of trying the Nvidia Geforce Experience atrocity again.
It was a little odd but really couldn't have been much simpler - however I was only recording and not streaming.
I could have sworn that @RasmusP had posted a guide about setting it up somewhere here on the forum (which I had read but then couldn't recall properly or indeed find when I installed it myself :roflmao:).

(Edit: the defaults did almost everything I needed. The main thing that is confusing me right now is the audio channel stuff.)

Last edited:
Yeah, I needed some footage (for a non-sim :confused:) lately and took the plunge and installed OBS, cos I couldn't stomach the idea of trying the Nvidia Geforce Experience atrocity again.
It was a little odd but really couldn't have been much simpler - however I was only recording and not streaming.
I could have sworn that @RasmusP had posted a guide about setting it up somewhere here on the forum (which I had read but then couldn't recall properly or indeed find when I installed it myself :roflmao:).

(Edit: the defaults did almost everything I needed. The main thing that is confusing me right now is the audio channel stuff.)
No I didn't haha. I did a guide on how to get rid of stuttering due to the "optimal performance" setting from the Nvidia power settings that led to my gtx 1070 only running at 700 MHz in automobilista 1.
And then how to overclock modern Nvidia gpus with afterburner and the custom curve via ctrl + F :p

I'm using obs for any streaming or recording though. But not really configured it...

Defaults were already set to using nvenc and I kept everything like it was.

What's really great about obs is that you can use VST plugins for the audio channels.
Sadly there's no "master channel". That would be sweet for some leveling via multi band compression and a limiter :D

Streamers really don't have any excuse to have bad audio now :p

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 349 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing