Recommendations on Replacing Broken Lenovo Explorer?

After only 6 months, my Lenovo Explorer Headset has broken at the "viewer hinge" joining the viewer screen and the head strap. A lot of VR titles require inputting something via the keyboard, which necessitated raising the viewer repeatedly - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK. I'm not surprised that this hinge finally gave way - but in only 6 months? Ugh! :mad:

I got the Explorer at a really good price in August 2018 ($140 without hand controllers), but now the price is up to $239 for the same thing. :(

So, I need to replace this with something. Should I just bite the bullet and purchase the same thing (what I already know) and hope it lasts longer than 6 months this time? Or should I get something else? The way I see it, the Pros and Cons for buying another Lenovo Explorer are:

Pros:
1. Relatively low priced versus other VR headsets
2. All of my sims/software are already configured to work with it
3. I was generally satisfied with it.

Cons:
1. There are lots of newer VR headsets in the game now (or coming soon). Do they have better performance and/or are they more sturdily built?
2. Getting a different headset requires re-configuring something new with all my racing sims.
3 The Lenovo Explorer supports pupillary distance up to 67mm. My pupillary distance is 69mm. (Minor point, I know, but it's still a consideration)

So, considering that I run VR For Racing Sims ONLY (so I don't need hand controllers), what do you suggest I do? (Set budget aside for now.) Any and all idea/suggestions welcomed.

Thanks!

Last edited:
After doing some research, I'm considering the Samsung Odyssey Plus. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

I think that would be a great choice if you can time it right and pick one up when they go on sale. I believe they have periodically dropped the price to 299 dollars which is a great deal. I wouldn't pay the usual price as at that point you have others to choose from.

Have a read in here if you haven't already. Lots of good information from people who who know better than me :)

https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/is-vr-dead.164863/

• Deleted member 197115

If you have dough and time, wait for Index, otherwise Odyssey+ on sale is a no-brainer, the best IQ you can get today.

I got my Samsung Odyssey+ today and had a go with it in a few sims. FWIW, here are my first impressions of it vs the Lenovo Explorer.....

1. Installation - very easy. Basically just plug and play in Win10. Unplugged Lenovo, plugged in Samsung into same ports, and it just worked, Nice!

2. Visuals - I saw an immediate improvement in the SteamVR splash screen. Blacker blacks, richer colors overall and a sharper image (but not tremendously so). Easy and generous adjustment for ocular distance certainly helps. SDE is almost imperceptible to me. I have to look for it to see it at all.

3. Comfort - Heavier than Lenovo Explorer and a bit hotter. I have a huge head and have to have the headset at its largest setting (easy to adjust though). I haven't had a long session with it yet, but I'd expect it to get a bit uncomfortable after awhile.

4. Build Quality - Night and Day better than the Lenovo. No hinge to raise the viewer though. That's good in that there's no hinge to break. But clumsy for when you need to look at your screen or keyboard or wheel.

So far, I'm happy with it.

I confused why don't you RMA it
They have 1 year warranty from the date of purchase
You should be covered till August 2019
Can you tell me EXACTLY where it says there's a 1 year warranty? I looked thru the Lenovo's paperwork and it seemed intentionally to be buried in small print - so much so that I couldn't find that specific info anywhere.

Thanks.

Take a photo of your postage receipt, most places will pay for it but not if you don't send copy of docket

Also note in Andrews link :
01FJ212 – Headset Parts (hinge, screws, cushions )

Since you won't be needing to buy new VR maybe get the headset parts now while you still can so when warranty runs out you can repair yourself

Even if you don't break next hinge the parts would retain value as that headset is discontinued

Oh also, put VR box inside a bigger box with good padding
It is actually in fine print of some warranty will not be valid if you say just place VR box in plastic courier bag etc

One of my shops requires 2" of padding for any fragile PC parts

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. But I still don't have my answer to where to send the broken unit for replacement. FWIW here's a link to the actual (basically useless) printed warranty material that came with the unit. Click on "Warranty - Lenovo Explorer" on the page in the link. If you can find an address in the US to send it to, your a lot better at reading thru BS than I am!

That said, I've already replaced it with an Odyssey+ which I'm happy with. But perhaps my poor experience with Lenovo will serve as a warning to others....

Thanks, again!

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.2%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 146 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 278 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing