Rear View Mirror

No, you cannot, not sure it is possible in any SIM. Not sure why some one would want that either!
Most people have the reverse of that issue, they are unable to see the mirrors because their FOV adjustment cut the mirrors off their view.

No, you cannot, not sure it is possible in any SIM. Not sure why some one would want that either!
Most people have the reverse of that issue, they are unable to see the mirrors because their FOV adjustment cut the mirrors off their view.

I know at least one or two other sims have this option, I believe iRacing is one of them. Rendering mirrors takes a lot of processing power so by turning the car mirrors off and just using the one virtual mirror it frees up some processing overhead. So for someone with a lower-end system this could be very helpful in gaining a bit of performance.

In addition to the performance improvements Brandon mentioned, it can be distracting having unused mirrors too. For example, the eye position, FoV and mirror resolution can make them all but useless sometimes, and having objects popping in and out of them can draw your attention when you'd rather it didn't. I'd like more sims to offer the option to use virtual mirrors and turn the real ones off.

Thanks Guys.
Ross has hit it on the head again. It's distracting to me to have 2 rear view mirrors. I can go into the .ini files and disabale the mirrors, but of course this kills the wing mirrors too and that's a no go for me.
I don't usually use the virtual mirror, but since my first race @ RD is tomorrow I want to make sure I can see everyone that's coming up behind me so I can let them through cleanly if they are about to lap me. I hope this isn't the case, but better safe than sorry.

The ISI family of sims all support turning off real mirrors and having only the virtual mirror active. It's an assignable toggle, default usually F3 as I recall, that cycles between real, real + center virtual, real + triple virtual, triple virtual, none.
Thanks Emery. Maybe one of our App / Programmer Whizzes will find a way to do this in AC.
Also be nice to move the Virtual Mirror position.
I know I would like it, but I'm probably in the minority.

I know at least one or two other sims have this option, I believe iRacing is one of them. Rendering mirrors takes a lot of processing power so by turning the car mirrors off and just using the one virtual mirror it frees up some processing overhead.
AC renders one mirror image and uses it in all locations, virtual or real, so there's no performance difference in showing just 1 mirror or all of them. Drawing the objects takes the same time whether it uses that mirror texture or any other texture.

AC renders one mirror image and uses it in all locations, virtual or real, so there's no performance difference in showing just 1 mirror or all of them. Drawing the objects takes the same time whether it uses that mirror texture or any other texture.

Didn't know that. I was just repeating what I've heard but apparently that was referring to other sims.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 363 15.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 254 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 303 13.2%