Really confused... help please!

I participated in a group practice session hosted by an online league which was followed by mini races. The car was F1 and track was Yas Marina. Almost everyone including me had prepared set ups prior to the practice and we all started practice with those set ups. From the beginning of the practice session for about 3-40 minutes I was 0.4 sec behind lap leader and 3rd fastest. However as the track was getting rubber up and by 1 hour mark, I was pushed down with middle with 1.0 sec from a leader and at the end of the 2 hour session, I was 2nd from the slowest and 2 sec spread with the fastest lap. I was surprised that while I only made 0.4 sec improvement in the 2 hours, other drivers made 1-3 sec improvements. I noticed that they kept exiting the server and spent 5-15 minutes outside then came back in and drove again and repeated this consistantly throughout the session. Does anyone know what these guys might have been doing outside the server?

Also how can I improve my lap more than 1 sec like those drivers did when the track is getting heavily rubbered up with 20 drivers or more? Other driver's who tried my set up told me it was well balanced but would not explain to me more than that.

I participated in a group practice session hosted by an online league which was followed by mini races. The car was F1 and track was Yas Marina. Almost everyone including me had prepared set ups prior to the practice and we all started practice with those set ups. From the beginning of the practice session for about 3-40 minutes I was 0.4 sec behind lap leader and 3rd fastest. However as the track was getting rubber up and by 1 hour mark, I was pushed down with middle with 1.0 sec from a leader and at the end of the 2 hour session, I was 2nd from the slowest and 2 sec spread with the fastest lap. I was surprised that while I only made 0.4 sec improvement in the 2 hours, other drivers made 1-3 sec improvements. I noticed that they kept exiting the server and spent 5-15 minutes outside then came back in and drove again and repeated this consistantly throughout the session. Does anyone know what these guys might have been doing outside the server?

Also how can I improve my lap more than 1 sec like those drivers did when the track is getting heavily rubbered up with 20 drivers or more? Other driver's who tried my set up told me it was well balanced but would not explain to me more than that.
Bit weird . Did you stay on pace in race? Maybe they were sourcing setups and rejoining.

nick // yes, I was able to stay in pace. the lap time spread was less than 1 sec which was way less than practice lap time spread.
ace // do you understand this concept : rubber part of grip and push part of grip? heard this from another forum about this question.

nick // yes, I was able to stay in pace. the lap time spread was less than 1 sec which was way less than practice lap time spread.
ace // do you understand this concept : rubber part of grip and push part of grip? heard this from another forum about this question.

It was a weird phrasing, what he meant was that when the rubber increases, you also have to adapt your driving style slightly to accommodate to the larger grip. If you don't do this, then lap time won't be improved as much. But IMO it all complicates things too much. Bottom line is, it's not unusual for lap time to improve 3 seconds from green to fully rubbered. You just have to find out where you are losing time with telemetry, lap time comparison, etc.

Where there any Aids available on the server ? which can confuse the overall picture ,But in general faster drivers join at the end of a session --because they know what happens with the grip level.
And you where 2 sec off--How many drivers where there 10 ? or 30 ?, for Racing your setup might be the best ,Hot lapping or time trial is totally different, so I wouldn't be to worried , remember you where one of the fastest with low grip :thumbsup: a Race usually starts with low grip...

John// thanks for your opinion. How do you suggest I change my set up to adapt to growing rubber build up? I could only think of lowering wings for now. When Ace said push part, doesn't it mean something about the machine's diff and rear wheel traction? How do you adapt your driving style slightly to accommodate to the larger grip?

Cyrusyn......what i do when track grip has increased considerably is lower wing as much as possible while still maintaining stability plus adjusting tire pressures and camber for both qualify and race! Also, if there are roll bar settings i might do minor adjustments if needed.

Ace // thanks for your reply. Do you also change diff setting? How would you change your diff when there are too much grip on the track? Do you also make your car more oversteery when there is much more grip than before?

Where there any Aids available on the server ? which can confuse the overall picture ,But in general faster drivers join at the end of a session --because they know what happens with the grip level.
And you where 2 sec off--How many drivers where there 10 ? or 30 ?, for Racing your setup might be the best ,Hot lapping or time trial is totally different, so I wouldn't be to worried , remember you where one of the fastest with low grip :thumbsup: a Race usually starts with low grip...
Doesn't the track surface carry onto next session or race when the server admin starts a new session?

Doesn't the track surface carry onto next session or race when the server admin starts a new session?

Yes, grip typically carries over unless admin has made changes.

And regarding your other questions. I have experience of racing at high level for 10 years. In leagues like FSR, drivers on top level are not changing the setup mid session. Drivers typically have the car set up for the optimal condition that is towards the end of session, so they build the setup using only rubbered road.

Making setup changes for different rubber conditions is just making a mess. That's why in F1, drivers rarely do big setup changes based on Friday first laps, they anticipate grip will improve and wait for that before they change the car radically.

I usually don't touch the Diff setting unless there is an issue. In my longer endurance style races i typically want my setup a little tight to compensate for my car getting looser later in the race due to tire wear and track conditions. My setup i believe helped win my share of races over the years in sim racing starting in SCGT (sports car gt), F1-Challenge, Nascar Heat, NR 2003, GTR2, Race07, SCE, Pcars, rF1, rF2.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 139 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 195 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 379 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing